Help Getting Video Preview to play smoothly? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 12th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Help Getting Video Preview to play smoothly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
150mbps higher transfer rates than my new SSD drives
Jeff are you saying your SAS drives had transfer rates of 600mbps? I'm getting the following speeds on two Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD's in RAID0.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Getting Video Preview to play smoothly?-samsung-840-evo-250gb-raid0-transfer-speeds-hd-tune-pro-.png   Help Getting Video Preview to play smoothly?-samsung-840-evo-250gb-raid0-transfer-speeds-crystal-disk-mark-.png  

Last edited by Nicholas de Kock; December 12th, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added Info.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Yes, Cheetah 15K.7 SAS drives have a transfer rate of 600 Mbps. They're very fast drives.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #33
Major Player

Jeff that's insane for a disk drive, where you running them in RAID? I'm not seeing those numbers on single drives from online benchmarks. Seagate Cheetah only seems to be delivering between 170 to 200mbps as a single drive but goes to 600mbps in RAID10.
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I'm on my phone Nicholas so I can't send you a link right now go to the Seagate website. Far as I remember their spec'd at six hundred megabytes per second. if you're interested look up to 15 K .7 SAS drives.

maybe I miss read it
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Nicholas, look here and see if I am mistaken, maybe I am. Look the SAS #s, NOT the Fibre Channel #s.

Seagate Cheetah 15K | Seagate
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Jeff are you saying your SAS drives had transfer rates of 600mbps? I'm getting the following speeds on two Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD's in RAID0.
Try Samsung Magician and Samsung Rapid with the samsung EVO drives, Pro or none pro...

They will have read/write speed of 1100mb.. No need for raid
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Nicholas, the specs I linked to above lists a transfer rate of 600mbps, but I see a sustained data rate of 125mbps.

I can tell you one thing, regardless of the numbers, what I'm seeing is little to no difference between the Cheetahs and the SSDs for video. They seem to respond the same. Mind you I say SEEM to, so I could be completely wrong.

I just know that Vegas projects load up about the exact same time both drives. My Sandisk Extreme 2 is not the fastest, but they are not slow either.

I have read that the biggest advantage for SSDs are in small read write operations, not in things such as video, where the advantages are not as great. Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about, this is just what I've read.

I'm happy with the SSDs, but either they are not configured correctly or they are not as fast as I expected.
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
Try Samsung Magician and Samsung Rapid
Wish I could Kim but because my drives are in RAID0 Samsung Magician doesn't pick them up as SSD drives. Could have gotten one 500Gb but opted for two 250's instead (same price). Jeff I did a test transcode from SSD to SSD & HDD to HDD, with my current system SSD was only +/- 20% faster on transcodes. Not bad as far as percentages go but I rarely do SSD to SSD as I only use my SSD's for OS.
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Well, I removed my SSD RAID controller and it has shaved minutes off of my boot time. Shutdown has gone from three or four minutes to 3 seconds.

I was so tired of using RAID controllers they add so much time to boot up. I feel free! I also moved my drives to another onboard controller and gained some speed. Very nice.
Old December 13th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Wish I could Kim but because my drives are in RAID0 Samsung Magician doesn't pick them up as SSD drives. Could have gotten one 500Gb but opted for two 250's instead (same price). Jeff I did a test transcode from SSD to SSD & HDD to HDD, with my current system SSD was only +/- 20% faster on transcodes. Not bad as far as percentages go but I rarely do SSD to SSD as I only use my SSD's for OS.
Your right.. you cant have rapid mode on when in raid..

But just so you know. Rapid mode is faster then raid0..
Old December 13th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Well, I removed my SSD RAID controller and it has shaved minutes off of my boot time. Shutdown has gone from three or four minutes to 3 seconds.

I was so tired of using RAID controllers they add so much time to boot up. I feel free! I also moved my drives to another onboard controller and gained some speed. Very nice.
Jeff, have you connected you new ssd to the sata 6gb/s controller or the 3gb/s controller?

If you accidently connecteed to the 3gb/s port, you only have half the speed of an ssd...
My motherboard have three 3gb/s ports and three 6gb/s ports..
My three ssd's is connected of course to the 6gb/s ports and my three sata 7200rpm drives are connected to the 3gb/s ports.
Please also test the speed for your new ssd's with crystaldisk, a free drive speed benchmark application..
By the way, what motherboard are you using?

Last edited by Kim Olsson; December 13th, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Kim, I'm on a 6GB connector with SATA 3 cables, I'm using the sabertooth x79, it has four 6gb and two 3gb ports.

I just ordered another SSD, I'm hooked on them.

My computer is so much quieter now. I removed all the SAS drives last night, and my case runs SO much cooler.
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #43
Major Player

Well I can say one thing, my Blu-rays always took 30min to build now they built in 10min that alone makes the SSD's worth it for me.
Old December 13th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Kim, I'm on a 6GB connector with SATA 3 cables, I'm using the sabertooth x79, it has four 6gb and two 3gb ports.

My computer is so much quieter now. I removed all the SAS drives last night, and my case runs SO much cooler.
Ok. Have you tried to download CrystalDiskMark and did a benchmark on your ssd's?

Here is a link: CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World

Here you can easily see if your ssd's is working correctly. You can see both the read and write speed.

Of course if you would use this software all day long, you could damage your disks over time. But for a couple of benchmarks, no problems att all...
Old December 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:

Just of curiosity Jeff, How are/shall you use your SSD's ??

My use is:

SSD 1 (Samsung pro 830, 256GB: System disk
SSD 2 (Intel 520, 120GB): Scratch disk (Photoshop, After Effects)
(Soon) SSD 3 (Samsung EVO 840 500GB): Media disk (Videos, photos)
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...