Pro 13 press announcement - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Pro 13 press announcement

Adobe's GPU acceleration has worked fairly well since close to the beginning (so I've read).

For some reason Sony's has been much less consistent. I personally have never considered GPU acceleration important and have kept it off since it's inception.

My processor is fast enough I get 2 hour Bluray files rendered in less than 2 hours and that is fast enough for me. I do get occasional crashes with Vegas but usually it is when I'm doing a huge amount of CC on multiple clips and copy and paste arrtibutes over and over again.

There is no way I'm switching NLEs over my issues. The fast workflow of Vegas beats all PC based competitors hands down for me.
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Major Player

Hi

Also worth noting that GPU rendering isn't always the same quality as CPU rendering. The encoder is different for GPU rendering, often tuned to see more of an improvement than perhaps there is (by reducing quality) to ensure it is fast enough to meet customer expectations and the marketing claims.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #33
Trustee

I don't know what the perfect combo is with Vegas 12 b770 and GPU. All I can say is I have nil crash problems with the following combo of CPU and graphics card. If it's of any help to anyone the system settings I am using are shown in the attached JPGs below.

Also there are two pix showing the sort of GPU performance V12 and good a working GPU can deliver. The 1080i pix shows a 2 hour 13 min timeline rendering from 1080i MPEG-2 to Sony AVC MP4 1280 x 720p. Render settings are set to 'Best'. You can see that 133 min timeline render will be completed in about 65 mins.

The 35-mbit EX pix shows a 51 min timeline selection of 35-mbit footage with color correction and levels applied rendering to EX 35-mbit MP4 in about 37 mins.

I'm not saying never had a crash but the last one was prior to a set of 12 x 90 min programs I'm currently working on every day. That would put me back at least three months ago and it involved one particular preset in the Sony AVC MP4 templates and the crash could be replicated consistently with that particular preset. Made a slight modification to the preset and no more problems. Just can't recall which one it was but will try and replicate the situation again.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Pro 13 press announcement-vegas-12-system-info-01.jpg   Pro 13 press announcement-vegas-12-system-graphics-info-01.jpg  

Pro 13 press announcement-vegas-12-nvidia-settings-01.jpg   Pro 13 press announcement-vegas-12-nvidia-settings-02.jpg  

Pro 13 press announcement-vegas-12-1080i-720p-sony-mp4-gpu-useage.jpg   Pro 13 press announcement-vegas-12-35-mbit-ex-gpu-useage.jpg  

Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
I do turn off GPU rendering but it still crashes, only less so
Yes but (in my experience) you need to turn off ALL GPU acceleration, not just rendering - ie, turn off preview acceleration too.

Granted it's better on the more recent builds but not enough for me to leave it on during any serious projects.

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #35
Trustee

Different experiences I guess.

I wouldn't be doing that here as our editing previews run super smooth. That's working with the rather CPU intensive AVC HD 1080 50p footage at BEST / FULL with the GPU on running a timeline with CC, Curves, graphics, titles etc.

Turn the GPU off and the playback frame rate starts to fluctuate on complex timelines. Similar experience with three different workstations all running different Nvidia cards. A 550 Ti, a 650 Ti and the GTX-680 I'm currently working on.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I agree, for me I must turn off all GPU acclerations functions. Don't know why it causes crashes, but I don't care either. It just does. Glad there are folks like you Chris that it works for but for me it's no good.
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #37
Trustee

I often do multicam edits with various effects and filters applied. No doubt this makes the problem worse. I defininately won't stop using these. They are very important to my finished product. I don't have a problem when I render these projects to Cineform files which makes me think the problem is somehow related to the way Vegas handles the h264 encoders. The extra step to render the Cineform files to h264 files using Adobe Media Encoder isn't acceptable to me in the long term.

In case anyone thinks to ask, I have tried rendering the Cineform files to h264 files using Vegas but it still crashes.

I really don't understand why Sony won't fix this. It is a widely encountered problem that has been identified literally for years. It's a slap in the face to see Media Encoder do the h264 renders without a problem.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #38
Major Player

I am another one of the lucky one to have a excellent gpu acceleration. Never ever have a crash related to gpu that I can remember of. My project usually run between 120-140minutes long. And my footages is from Canon 5D mark III, 60D and Canon AVCHD camcorder. I often hang out in Sony Forum. Check out the link and you will find the detail of my system.

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #39
Trustee

Bruce, what format do you render to? The problem occurs when rendering h264 format. I don't have a problem with other formats.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #40
Major Player

Main Concept AVC MP4 > the dual GPU works only on MC AVC MP4 but other than that I can render to any format.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #41
Trustee

Interesting.

I never use MC's AVC encoder in Vegas but just tried a render using MC's AVC/AAC mp4 Blu-Ray 25Mbps video stream. GPU CUDA usage? A useless 2-4%. In effect nil. Open CL? Same lame results, virtually nil. Slow as a wet week.

Same render using Sony's Blu-Ray AVC mp4 video stream set to it's max of 21,999,616 and using 'Render using GPU if available' and GPU usage shoots up to 30%. A vast difference in render times!

I also have MainConcept's Reference encoder installed. It has a preset called 'H.264 @ GPU.' It also can't see the GPU cards, it comes up with error dialogues that say 'Can't initalize H264 CUDA video encoder.'

So obviously not much going well with MainConcept and CUDA either in MC's own software or Vegas. Shame really. Whether it will ever get fixed with MC being bought by Parallax Capital I somehow doubt. It appears Parallax's main development concentration is now centered around, quote

"...accelerating the adoption of the HEVC/H.265 video standard across the video supply chain with solutions for 3rd party software integration, transcoding applications, and protected playback on consumer electronics devices."

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Actually, I have not been honest, but forgot that I have tried GPU accleration for Sony AVC and it worked pretty well. I'm just lazy and don't think to turn it on for the few times I use it. When I render I usually go eat or do something else so a few minutes just doesn't make a huge difference to me.

I would find preview accleration much more helpful, but as I've said before that is where things fall apart for me.

I do have Vegas crashes while editing even with GPU off, but they happen when I'm doing a large number of CC adjustments in quick succession. Vegas is not nearly as stable for me as it used to be during version 7 and 8. It's never seemed to be the same for me since.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #43
Major Player

Its kind of bad when you feel like you have to assign a mouse button to quick save so you dont loose too much work every day.

I have one of my thumb buttons as play/pause and another as save. I love vegas, it has the best workflow of any NLE but since version 8 I have never seen a stable release.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...