Sony Catalyst Production Suite now available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 15th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony Catalyst Production Suite now available

I don't have any special insight into this other than what Sony announced in September.

Did receive the email today that the intro price is $400, or $300 "upgrade" (crossgrade?) from Vegas.

The Catalyst pages are up at Catalyst Production Suite

Now cross platform, new codebase for 4k/raw formats support. The interface looks different. I'd imagine there are comments over at Sony's own forum...

The end of Vegas? Supposedly not. Sony's "FCP-X"? Now available for trial download and eval.
Old May 17th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Catalyst Production Suite now available

Installed Catalyst, I have no idea what Sony is trying to do with Catalyst. It's so basic I cannot imagine anyone editing on it let alone pay money for it.
Alex Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree, a very basic interface at the moment and nowhere near comparison with Vegas. Not sure who this is targeted at.
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
I agree, a very basic interface at the moment and nowhere near comparison with Vegas. Not sure who this is targeted at.
This is the question that is ringing around the VEGAS-NET at present.

It's all very straightforward to me: Catalyst will be or become or want to be the defacto tool for the News Gatherer, or major DoP, SONY-shooters, in the same evolutionary way that Vegas Pro was/has meant and become to the OMB videographers. So, the best tool for the job - for that operative at that time. I have flirted with Red Giant's Bullet Proof, and maybe Mr Sony had gotten calls for a similar pre-edit capture selection/correction tools for those that don't get really near or NEED to get really near to any NLE - this Catalyst suite will offer the SONY-based solution. If this was the case then this could have secured the SCS team from spinning away as part of the spill from many of the recent "trim-age". If this WAS the case, then "Go TEAM-SCS!"

And herein lies what I feel to be SCS USP: To push for the best/correct/more appropriate tools. It's why I started with VV 12 years back, and why, if their philosophy is STILL to keep pushing for workman-like tools why I'll stay with VP and SCS.

However . . . There are some super looking work-look schemas in Catalyst which I would like in VP. Let's be honest, VP does look a wee bit tired and forlorn, compared to Catalyst. Kinda would be nice to have some of that Graphite look. Others will have their opinions I know.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Is Vegas Movie Studio still around?? This to me looks like a replacement more for Movie Studio rather than Vegas Pro?

I wonder if the new Catalyst Suite will automatically join AVCHD files that have been split .. The Catalyst Browser doesn't do it at all ?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #6
Major Player

This can be done even PlayMemoriesHome.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Juris

I currently use Content Management Utility from Sony ..no issues at all. I just figured that if they bring out a "suite" a simple utility within Catalyst would have been nice too.

Chris
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Does the Catalyst Prepare utility replace the Content Management Utility? The latter is pig slow and a faster alternative would be great.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Jim

Not sure yet but the Utility for me is quite quick once you get to importing the file. My only complaint seems to be the fact that you have to register a new folder prior to starting ..That's a pain!!

Haven't downloaded it due to negative comments here but maybe those who have given the trial a run can answer the question ??

Chris
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Is Vegas Movie Studio still around?? This to me looks like a replacement more for Movie Studio rather than Vegas Pro?

I wonder if the new Catalyst Suite will automatically join AVCHD files that have been split .. The Catalyst Browser doesn't do it at all ?
Yes Chris the new Cataylst Prepare will and does join contiguous time code files together correctly to make one long clip just like CMU or Vegas using Device Manager.

I'm just in the process of trying a batch import / export experiment of newly joined MTS clips, now m2ts files and exporting them across to XDCam just to see how long it takes etc. As I write Prepare is is pushing the graphics GPU to around 17-21% of the GPUs maximum load capacity and using close on 1507MB of GPU memory space. The total export is 1 hour 52 minutes in running time and prepare has taken just on 20 minutes to export 50% to XDCam so if it continues to proceed in this manner it should be about 40 minutes to transcode 112 minutes which is not too bad in my estimation.

It also opens and imports XAVC-L (Long GOP) 4:2:2 10-bit 50-mbit files from the Sony PXW-X70 with no issues. For X70 users this has been an ongoing saga without end trying to get these XAVC-L files into FCP-X, Vegas and a number of other NLEs and video apps. At least now Prepare gives users of this camera a means by which to export these files into something they can work with.

Also I have just received this from Sony SCS direct:

"Hi Chris;

Don’t think of this as a Vegas Pro replacement. It’s definitely not. It’s aimed at a different workflow. Rather than a craft editor it is more focused on fast, simple edits and 4K, RAW type formats. But you’ll find that much of the prep work you do in Catalyst Prepare – Library creation and clip organization, Color Correction, Audio Channel Assignments, Trim in/out, Storyboard rough cut – flow right into Catalyst Edit. Both programs will enable you to export to VP (and other NLEs) if you need to finish up with some craft editing.

Have fun exploring and I’ll share your comments with the team. The next features we work on adding will come directly from our customers."

NOTE the last sentence:

"The next features we work on adding will come directly from our customers."

So it is really up to us to feed back to SCS what we expect to see this next generation v1.0 suite develop into. Agreed the need to register folders etc is a different approach. Why it's done this way who knows. Also the amount of screen real estate taken up by very large folder icons, even in the alternate view mode is unnecessary in my opinion. Plus next time you open Prepare it doesn't remember your last view preference. Early days obviously but we should all use the 'Provide Feedback' link under Options / About suggesting what we expect to see in such an application.

"Houston we have a problem!"

Prepare suddenly stopped exporting at 79%. Task manager says it is still running but CPU demand is down to 0%. She looks dead in the water. After closing it down Prepare is still listed as an active process in Task Manager, wrong! Hmm! Beta feedback time.

Until next time.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris

My wedding season is almost over now ..two more edits to do and then I'm finished and have some free time to "play" during June where our cold and wet weather is not exactly wedding prime time.

It might just make my workflow easier.. who knows??

Chris
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Has anyone noticed Catalyst Browse not displaying (and therefore not able to import) all their files? I've had a few instances of the last few files on a card not displaying, one entire shoot that was piled on a card after the first shoot (that didn't completely display) was completely ignored.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I have downloaded the trial now so I'll see if mine gives any issues? Having started with Sonic Foundry 4.0 before Sony took over, I'm a happy long term user so if I'll speak my mind if needed. It might suit my workflow ..who knows?? I must admit I liked the browser interface and operation but it didn't import split files so was no use to me.
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:49 AM   #14
Trustee

Well when you get a chance Chris chuck in the feedback. Good luck with the test run! I won't get another chance to look at any of it this week as I'm of filming an annual surfing championships in Victoria for five days. Bet that Bass Strait is cold and windy as usual... brrr!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Ouch Chris!

Even Perth is too cold at the moment! Anything below 20C is not my kind of weather!! Had a quick look and to be honest my left hand went straight to my Shuttle Pro, which, of course didn't work!

Seems awfully basic as an editor ... but maybe that's all it is supposed to be? I'll give it a whirl at the weekend as I still have edit jobs outstanding this week and next week!

Enjoy the shoot

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...