audio interference in Vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 13th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: audio interference in Vegas

My guess is your former cheap computer speakers and headphones are designed to work from the hotter headphone level signal of the computer's headphone output jack. Your new powered speakers are probably designed to work with a line level signal, so they are more sensitive to the hotter headphone level signal. You're now able to get a lot more amplification and any problems contained in the computer signal become easily apparent.

When you connected to a different device and had no problems, which output did you use?

If you used the headphone out of the different device, it's likely much cleaner than the computer output, which as we've said is very typical.

There are lots of interface boxes and DAC's available. The interfaces have the added benefit of inputs on better connectors for recording, as well as being portable, very clean and not requiring opening your computer.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; June 13th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Once you have heard your friends external device, you will want one. These kinds of noises have plagued recording for years and years. The headphone outlet on cheap sound cards - and remember that the ones built into the motherboard are not studio quality devices, they're quite low-fi - often masks these noises with a higher noise floor, limited dynamic range and coloration. Using better quality monitoring, designed to really let you hear what is going on simply reveals the problems. The noises that the data on the busses causes is quite low level, but often there is another reason they are more noticeable. The act of connecting the computer to other devices extends the capture area of the sensitive components - extending the ground of the computer out of the box, and often this allows the internal sound device to hear more of the bus noise. Most computers are susceptible to a degree - laptops even worse because they rarely have a real ground connection and float. Plugging headphones into these sounds ok, but connect them to a studio or PA system and hums, buzzes and the data noise suddenly break free.

Try your friends device and see what happens. I can almost guarantee you will then want one!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #18
Trustee

Thanks Paul.

Given the apparent certainty of the source of the problem, rather than go into town and borrow my friends, I thought I would buy one...an Asus Xonar U7.

I've just got home and found the courier delivered it but as we weren't here, took it away again! Bother. If the driver is still in the area, I may see it today...hope so...if not tomorrow...

I'll let you know how I get on with it...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #19
Trustee

So the DAC (Asus Xonar U7) turned up today and the issue appears to be totally solved... :-)

Thanks all for the help. Appreciated.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...