Is it true that Vegas is DEAD? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 17th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Is it true that Vegas is DEAD?

Quicktime only works with 32bit, so wouldn't work with 64bit software.

There are MOV to AVI convertors around,
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Well, as I recall quicktime was a required install for Vegas to work, or did it change?
Matteo Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Manson View Post
Well, as I recall quicktime was a required install for Vegas to work, or did it change?
From Vegas guru John Rofrano on another Vegas forum:
The vulnerabilities were found in the Windows QuickTime Player. You could always delete or rename the player executable and not have to worry. I don't think many Vegas Pro users actually use the player. They just need to codecs to process QuickTime MOV files. All you need to do is stop using the QuickTime Player which you probably don't use anyway. No need to panic.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Manson View Post
I've just fired up my old Vegas Pro 9, having uninstalled Quicktime yesterday.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #35
Trustee

QucikTime is not required by Sony Vegas Pro 13

I also dumped Quicktime yesterday, and today loaded up and used VP 13 in a complex edit with no problems.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
though vegas is STILL an amazing nle, it's certainly looking and feeling rather dated. if nothing else a cosmetic make-over would see it revitalized in a market more attuned to slick, professional looking gui's.
I really hope they don't change it. I love the Vegas UI, find it clean and simple and intuitive to use.

All these modern "slick, professional" interfaces all seem to have non-Windows standard formats and adopt font sizes of, oh, about 4 point which my tired old eyes just can't read. And icons that are about 5x5 pixels so I can't see what they are either. Usually in dark grey on black!

Cheers
David
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 05:59 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Re: QucikTime is not required by Sony Vegas Pro 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
I also dumped Quicktime yesterday, and today loaded up and used VP 13 in a complex edit with no problems.
It's needed to edit video that uses Quicktime. My camera has the ability to record in quicktime. This article has a screen cap halfway down the listing it as a requirement

https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-...hd-platinum-11
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
It's needed to edit video that uses Quicktime. My camera has the ability to record in quicktime. This article has a screen cap halfway down the listing it as a requirement

As I said above in the post from John Rofrano, delete or rename the player executable. The codecs still remain and can be used with no problems. Use a free app like VLC to play your MOV files.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Sorry I missed your post. That's a better approach. If I was going to remove anything it would be the quicktime web browser plugin. Where else are you going to get a virus but from a malicious web site with embedded quicktime movie. That being said sounds like risk is over blown there's probably better way to deploy a virus and most movies use Flash for internet streaming.
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #40
Trustee

I'm pretty sure VP isn't dead. VP14 marketing and pricing info was released to dealers who were then asked to hold off due to a delay in the release schedule. Exactly what this means I cannot guess at this point in time other than to say fingers crossed it shouldn't be too far away... hopefully :))

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Is it true that Vegas is DEAD?-vegas-pro-14.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #41
Trustee

Re: QuickTime is not required by Sony Vegas Pro 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post

Obviously it is a "requirement" if you are shooting and producing Quicktime files. It is not required for anything else. Quicktime would be required for any editor if you are editing Quicktime files - this is not special to Vegas.

And, according to Adobe, the executable decoding Quicktime video files contains the vulnerability. So all Quicktime program files have to go.
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post
I really hope they don't change it. I love the Vegas UI, find it clean and simple and intuitive to use.

All these modern "slick, professional" interfaces all seem to have non-Windows standard formats and adopt font sizes of, oh, about 4 point which my tired old eyes just can't read. And icons that are about 5x5 pixels so I can't see what they are either. Usually in dark grey on black!

Cheers
David
Couldn't agree more. Vegas is an intuitive, powerful, pro editor. Works for me!

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #43
Inner Circle

I'm leery of removing things I don't think I need. I've found later down the road when you least expect it a client sends you something and then you spend all this time trouble shooting why it's not working. Software often doesn't tell you the why.
Old April 18th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post

Cheers
David
You obviously have not used Sony Vegas Pro with a 4K monitor. And this for an editor that has prided itself as designed for 4K. It does not scale properly, and so you get exactly what you hate in other interfaces - tiny icons and more importantly, tiny clip thumbnails. I don't want a cosmetic change in UI either, just update it so it scales correctly.
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Importing AVI into FCP can be a bit of a performance... It's Just Chinatown... Sorry Apple
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...