Vegas Pro 16 Update 4 (Build 361) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 16th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro 16 Update 4 (Build 361)

If you have been using VP16b352 (Update 3), you should be notified automatically that this new update 4 (build 361) is available...

This update contains bug fixes, hope this fix the problem you are having... Look at the forum post for more info:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...d-361--114514/
Setiawan Kartawidjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vegas Pro 16 Update 4 (Build 361)

I have said this before and I will it say again, I have not bought v16 despite all the ads and even the latest reduced price for Pro of $199.

However, if you allowed me to sell on my old versions and allowed the buyers to activate that version and that version only...as used to happen with Sony Creative Software, I would buy tomorrow, if not today...

Obviously you want people to buy v16 and yet you have removed one of the strong incentives to upgrade.

Or have I misunderstood you?

Could this please be considered.

Renton
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Trustee

The latest update of v16 is b424

http://dl-de01.magix.net//2018/VEGAS...E-EN-FR-ES.exe

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Chris.

It wasn't whatever build is the latest that bothers me. Nor is it the ads which pop up when I open Vegas telling me of the latest cut price offer, or such ads by email. I don't mind the ads. I love Vegas and would jump in at the drop of a hat and buy the latest version as I have done up to v15...IF...I was able to sell on my old versions on as was the case under Sony ownership.

As it is I'm sticking with v15. Change that rule and I'll be in.

It seems to me to be very short-sighted of Magix not to allow this option. More people would come to use Vegas...and like it...and thus be open down stream to buy into the latest versions...

Renton
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:39 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Renton

I don't know where you got the idea that you cannot transfer ownership of Vegas Pro since Magix's takeover. If anyone believes this then they have been misinformed. You are full entitled to do so as long as the following conditions are met:

"7. Transfer and subsidiary agreements

You may not lend, lease or sublicense the MAGIX product temporarily or permanently. However, you may transfer the license for use of the MAGIX product as a whole to a third party, provided that you completely remove all installations from your computer and do not retain any backup copies. You must then release all MAGIX product license slots in your user account and allow the third party to register the MAGIX product in their user account. If the aforementioned conditions are not fulfilled, any transfer of the license of a MAGIX product requires the express consent of MAGIX."

All the license details relating to the EULA on Vegas can be found here.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/eula/consumer/

If the Vegas promo ads annoy you do the following:

To disable the pop-up ads in Vegas Pro:

In Vegas Pro, go into the Options Menu / Preferences.
Go into the General tab
Clear the checkbox “Use news feed to stay informed about VEGAS product updates."

That is #6 down on the check list on v16. Can't remember on v15 but probably the same.

BTW I can't say much as I'm under an NDA but there are more big changes coming. I can say no more at this point :)

Chris Young
Sydney
Old May 7th, 2019, 03:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Chris

I'm not sure where I got the idea...however it goes right back to when Magix bought Vegas.

As I recall I asked at that time if it was possible and was told no. No one ever pointed me to this clause 7 regarding transfers, otherwise I would have acted on it and sold on my earlier versions as I I had done for years. As a result I did not and have 13 and 14 sitting here unused. So long as a program is backward compatible there is no need for the earlier versions.

Everything in that clause is understandable except 'You must then release all MAGIX product license slots in your user account...' I don't know what this means. I would have thought as soon as the buyer registered their ownership of the product, Magix would have deleted it from my account,

Renton
Old May 7th, 2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I guess the following needs to be done to release your MAGIX product license slots.

"Deactivation and deregistration of programs:
All programs with P3 serial number can be deactivated via "Help"> "Deactivate program".
If you have already uninstalled the program, you can also deactivate it in the service center.
( https://www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/ )
You will be able to deactivate the serial number under "My products> Show more details> Device name."

The above is from https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...ogrammen--660/
Use your browser to translate the page into English if necessary. These support articles are not (yet) available on the US section of that forum.
Jorma Nippala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
'You must then release all MAGIX product license slots in your user account...' I don't know what this means. I would have thought as soon as the buyer registered their ownership of the product, Magix would have deleted it from my account,Renton
How it works Renton is when you on-sell your Magix version of Vegas you supply the serial number of that particular version that is registered to you to the new buyer. He can now create an account with Magix and register the serial number of the Vegas version he has purchased from you and he will now become the new registered owner. BUT HE CANNOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE DEACTIVATED THAT SERIAL NUMBER FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. When you log into your Magix account any programs you have purchased and registered will show up under your name. Under the version of Vegas you are selling will be the serial number and the details of the machine that particular Vegas version is registered to. Part of the info section contains active links one of which is DEACTIVATE. You now deactivate the Vegas version you have sold that was registered to the machine/s listed in your account. Once that serial number is no longer registered to any machines in your account your buyer can now use the serial number you gave him to register that serial number under his account on his PC, he can have up to two machines registered.

If you were shady :) you could try to register yourself again with the serial number involved but it won't work if that serial number is now registered under a new name on a new PC. Vegas generates an authorization that ties a specific Vegas serial number to the serial number of the CPU in the machine it is installed on. Sample of the account registration dialogue below.

Chris Young
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Pro 16 Update 4 (Build 361)-deactivatevegas.jpg  
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:32 AM   #9
Major Player

so....
I bought Vegas 4, upgraded to 8, then upgraded to 15.
If I were to upgrade to 16,
I could sell 4, 8 or 15 without losing upgrade-pricing options to 17+ in the future?
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I doubt that you would lose anything Sam. When I have upgraded Vegas Pro from Magix, they never asked for a previous version serial number!
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
...they never asked for a previous version serial number!
I was assuming that would be because they already know from their arranged tracking abilities and records?
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
I was assuming that would be because they already know from their arranged tracking abilities and records?
That would really surprise me beings how their ability to keep records and compare has, at least for the first year been skeptical. However if that were true they would have a record of you being a previous owner as well.

I'm sure Christopher or Jorma will have a specific answer you can depend on.
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:48 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
...if that were true they would have a record of you being a previous owner as well.
except for the directive that, "You must then release all MAGIX product license slots in your user account".

Wondering if that affects access to future upgrades.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I asked their chat support about some of the upgrade pricing conditions. The rep told me that in case of a license transfer the new owner of the transferred serial number would be able to use that serial number to get an upgrade discount. Regarding the case of the previous owner already having used that serial number to upgrade previously I was advised to contact Support at https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/request

He was not sure if there was a one upgrade per serial number policy (as was the case in the Sony/SCS era).

Note also this comment https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...9369/#ca674963

Last edited by Jorma Nippala; May 8th, 2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added info
Jorma Nippala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #15
Regular Crew

In the beginning there were many people reporting they got the upgrade price and never had a previous version product, and I think that explains the comment from Olivr in the link you provided Jorma. Perhaps now they have tightened the ship. Still, if you have version 16, upgrade to version 17, then deactivate 16 and transfer it to a new users who registers it, would you still be able to upgrade to version 18 from your now current version 17?

I upgraded from Sony V13 to Magix 15, then upgraded to Magix 16. Maybe it's time for me to sell off some of the old stuff!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...