AVI file not recognised at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 30th, 2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Trustee

AVI file not recognised

I've exported material from Boris Red as .avi files (AVI -Direct show, uncompressed 32 bit) which apparently have transparency. However Vegas 16 doesn't recognise a particular file I've thus exported.

I exported a heap of them quite a while ago, including the one I can't now open, and these other ones can be recognised...

I tried exporting the file from B RED again but it doesn't work...

Does anyone know how to get such files recognised?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: AVI file not recognised

AVI is a container format. Besides being completely outdated, it is very hard to handle since it can include just about anything. By that I mean. its contents can be prepared by a codec that you may or may not have on your computer, or that only some specific software can interpret.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Does anyone know how to get such files recognised?
Renton, Adam is on the money. Use MediaInfo on the ones that worked and those that don’t. Get us the DATA from the reports so we can compare. Of course, the one that’s not revealing could be corrupted.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 10:59 PM   #4
Trustee

I would be inclined to download GSpot to analyze the clips to find out exactly what codecs are involved and if they are already available on your computer. Most likely the codecs are not installed if you can't play the clips. If they are missing at least you will know which ones they are and can then take steps to installing them to sort the issue.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/GSpot

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
AVI file not recognised-gspot-codec.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As it turned out, I'm not sure what I did first time round, but after sleeping on it, when I had another go and selected AVI with a whole lot of optional formats in brackets after it, it worked.

The problem is I am not doing these procedures every day...sometimes months or even years apart...so forget how to go about it. I'm in the final stages of a project (final tweaking of each episode) I've been working on for about 15 years...actually longer than I have been involved with this group!...and some of the things I've already produced for it, I wonder how I did them!! I couldn't do them straight off bat now that's for sure...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
The problem is I am not doing these procedures every day...sometimes months or even years apart...so forget how to go about it.
In that case, may I suggest you write it down somewhere, so the next time you get back to it, you will know the right procedure. And by writing it down I mean in a physical notebook, not just in a computer file.

At any rate, I’m glad you got it working.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...