Vegas 18 and XAVC S-I, slow renders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 29th, 2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 18 and XAVC S-I, slow renders

I picked up a Sony FX3 and Vegas 17 won't play the XAVC S-I codec so I'm demoing 18. While it plays OK, renders are brutally long as in 30 minutes to render a 5 second clip.

Anyone have any fixes to speed this up? It's really not usable as is. Davinci Resolve on the other hand renders the same clips in seconds so I'm thinking it's a setting.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2021, 08:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vegas 18 and XAVC S-I, slow renders

Can you upload a ten-twenty second clip of the XAVC S-I codec for some of us to check out rendering setups on various Vegas versions? I have no problems with XAVC-I but this S-I is a new iteration of the XAVC codec. Either way somethings sounds wildly amiss as those render times are beyond anything that could be considered as normal.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2021, 10:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Christopher, you helped me out with V17 if I remember correctly. Turns out I had the denoiser on in the channel effects which caused the super slow renders.

I am getting render glitches and flicker when I use any of the NewBlue effects which was fixed in V17 by going into the internal menu in preference and increasing the memory and making a few other changes.

It doesn't appear those options are in the new internal menu though so not sure how to fix that. They've moved "internal" by the way so when you hit shift then preferences it's in the drop down menu at the bottom.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 10:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes, I know. The internal prefs menu now doesn't seem to offer half the tweaking options previously available.

I don't know what graphics card and drivers you are using. I would suggest you go to the HELP menu and select "Check for Driver Updates" to see if there are any. Install/update any it may suggest I'm finding Vegas 18 is really dependant on having the latest drivers. Maybe a silly question but you do have your GPU card enabled under the Preferences/Video tab I guess?

Also out of curiosity try the following. Right-click on V18's icon and select "Properties". Now select the "Compatability" tab and towards the bottom of that tab you will see the dialogue "Run this Program as an Administrator". Check that box and try a render for speed.

Other than that I can't really suggest much else at the moment because I have still been using 17 most of the time. Plus I find myself using Davinci Resolve more and more so my v18 time is a bit limited at the moment.

Chris Young
Old June 3rd, 2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Much thanks again Christopher. Turning off GPU accelerator seems to have cleared up the glitching with effects. I checked my 17 version and that was turned on so go figure.

Ditto on Davinci Resolve. The grading options are amazing and the ability to click over to Fairlight and do audio only without video slowing down the project is so good. It also reads BRAW files which Vegas doesn't so have also been using it a lot.

Plus Vegas is now doing popup ads both when I open and close the program which is becoming pretty aggravating.
Old June 3rd, 2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Trustee

I've been on Resolve since it introduced its early editing steps in v11. It really has become a force to be reckoned with. It's just that I've been with Vegas since v2.0 and can drive it in my sleep. I spent years at trade shows demoing Vegas when Sony owned it so it's sad to see it falling behind in pure performance against apps like Resolve. Also, the price of Resolve, either being Free or $295 with the Speed Editor is killing many other NLE packages. BTW. You can stop the update/news feed pop-up by going to Preferences, General Tab, and un-checking the 6th preference down which is called "Use newsfeed to stay informed about VEGAS product updates".

Chris Young
Old June 4th, 2021, 07:09 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
BTW. You can stop the update/news feed pop-up by going to Preferences, General Tab, and un-checking the 6th preference down which is called "Use newsfeed to stay informed about VEGAS product updates".
Now, if only we could stop the barrage of emails from Magix that try to get us to upgrade almost every single day.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
It's just that I've been with Vegas since v2.0 and can drive it in my sleep.
Exactly. I've been used Vegas since 2004 when I added video to my business and while I don't know it like you do, I am able to work quickly in it. I have 3 new projects with tight deadlines so now I'm in a quandary as Vegas 17 won't work with my new cameras and I haven't put 18 through a full test.

I'm learning towards using Davinci even though I've only had it for a couple of months.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...