h.264 rendering problem :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

h.264 rendering problem :(

I've upgraded to 6.0c and everytime I try to render using the h.264 codec, I get

"An error occured creating the media file ________.mov

An error occured while converting with a codec"

What might be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
William Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

William,

Did Sony or anyone get back to you with a solution to this rendering error?

I am getting same error. Tried rendering to Quicktime via any template with a custom video compression format of "h.264", and it will fail. For me, Quicktime will not render period unless at the default template setting. Needless to say, rendering at the default template setting w/custom video compression at H.264, fails immediately.

I do not advocate anyone trying to render at QT/H.264 unless there is a fix that I am unaware of.

Thanks
Paul Carlberg
highplainsdv.com
Paul Carlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Isn't 6.0d out?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Emre, yes and for the record, I upgraded to 6.0d build 210. I am about to reinstall 6.0c from the box, just to see if QT renders. I do not distribute my clips exclusively in QT, therefore any rendering will work for me, however, this could be a software bug. I will post if I reinstall from scratch. Thx.
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

guys, ive never had a problem with rendering h.264. but one thing to not is taht if u have other NLEs or transcoding tools in there, those codecs will be visible to vegas as well, however they wont work... in my case, i have edius installed, and whenever i go to render an AVI it takes abotu a minute to bring up the custom video settings prior to rendering. without edius, its instant..
ANother thing to note, is whether or not u have QT7pro installed.. i have it and i havent hada problem, but i have heard afew people with ths issue who dont have QT7... went out and bought the bugger and now thingsa re ok with them.. thing is you shouldnt have to buy another application to have acess to a codec which vegas is advertised to offer..

id say get int ouch with SMS and bombard them for support..

this kinda thing shouldnt happen
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

As an aside, I am not having much luck rendering any Windows Media template at a custom WMV9 "Image V2" compression format (whatever this is, and how it differs from std V9, I don't know). I guess its my day to beat up Vegas :^)

I don't really plan to test all combinations of render formats under all custom settings, (not sure if I expect Sony software test group to do likewise, although perhaps they could), I just think that a strong majority of included rendering options should work together if they are included in drop-down menus.

Per Peter's post, unfortunately I do not have a pro version of QT. Wish I did I suppose.

Paul C.
High Plains DV
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Back to basics - QT renders require an installation of the free quicktime ***with authoring components***.

If you've not done much QT rendering from Vegas, it's possible you don't have all the software you need.

First thing to try is a fresh download from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/win.html and be sure to specify "with authoring components", not the simple and easy QT installation.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Seth, Can't seem to find what you are referring to. Downloaded free (not pro) QT version and the only authoring components I can locate seem to be VAR add-ons. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resou...authoring.html
Is this what you are referring to?

My download (Itunes based?) didn't appear to provide "authoring" support.
Paul
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

That's a big "oops"!

Apparently this choice ended with QT7 installs - I just reinstalled and confirmed your experience with the QT7 Player standalone installer.

Fortunately, I didn't break Vegas' ability to render QT.

I'm confused by all this, and unable to provide the guidance I'd like. Both my editing machines pre-date QT7, they were configured by the old rules with QT Authoring Components that came free with the player, but you had to check a box during the install to get them.

Now, I don't really know if Qt7 player is or is not installing authoring components.

You might try the QT install that came on your Vegas CDs... or maybe this isn't the issue you're experiencing at all. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Don't know if this will help, but there are older versions of quicktime available for download here:
http://search.info.apple.com/?q=quic...o&type=kbdload
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #11
New Boot

Ffdshow

Go get these codecs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

You wont need to look for codecs anymore. Just keep it updated. There is already a setting for H.264 and h.264lossless already to go.

Enjoy... I get perfect playback at a fraction of the bandwidth. and the quality if just as good IF NOT BETTER than MPEG-2.

Also I noticed that a H.264 file with around 1Mbps looks as good as a 5-8Mbps Mpeg-2 even with lots of motion. Maybe this is something to be addressed on another thread?
Brian Shircliffe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...