is it possible to convert a 1920x1088 .ts (hd mpeg2 transport) file into .wmv? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:41 PM   #16
Trustee

TMPGEnc Xpress 3.0 has not been mentioned. It robustly encodes WM9. The problem with WM9 is that it's slow, and you will spend time experimenting with it's many settings. WM9 will do some strange things like drop frames if the bit rate setting is too low for the selected quality. It has a rather non-intuitive slider for choosing a preference between motion and quality, that has to be taken together with a bit rate. So basically what you're trying to achieve is getting the slider away from motion and toward the quality end of the slider for the highest motion scene possible before it starts dropping frames. It takes experimentation to optimize. But when you do, it's an extremely efficient codec, even better than h.264 for getting the file size down. All WM9 is progressive video. 1080i *.ts is converted to 1080p. It takes power to decode it. Many people settle for converting 1080i60 to 720p60.

Virtual Dub is the other way to go, and additionally you can put the WMV inside an AVI wrapper with AC3/dolby which you can't with a WMV encoder alone.

I've wanted to try Recode, but it seems like its focus is more about getting a ripped DVD compressed to fit onto a single layer DVD disk than about the needs of HD, but I could be wrong.

In any case, you wouldn't make a living going against Douglas Spotted Eagle, however the exception being that ts files (m2t) are exclusively 1440 x 1080 is not so, ts broadcast streams are very likely to be 1920 x 1080. We associate with what we work with, but HDV is not the only format for mpeg2ts streams.

A good resource for information on codecs and the tools they use is found at videohelp.com
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM   #17
Trustee

nice thread.

you can encode interlaced windows media, there is a good faq on the subject on the microsoft website somewhere... windows media will also do 5.1 surround sound, at better quality than you'll get with dolby... you'd probably have to play it back off of a computer, but these days, there are digital connectors on the back of all hi-def big screen tv's, so you wouldn't have to use the analog connector.

anyone who questions wmv picture quality should download some of the clips from www.wmvhd.com, and play 'em back on an hd tv... it's a really good looking codec.

nero h.264 rocks big time, but i don't know that it has vbr encoding capability, the audio is inferior to wmv, and you'd have to use the nero media player to watch it... there is a lot of player overhead with h.264 in general... here is a great link for understanding how player overhead can make a big difference: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1916972,00.asp
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:08 AM   #18
Trustee

>> Try delete padding from *.ts by converting to PS(program stream) *.mpg,
or just demux TS to ES (elementar streams m2v+ac3)

This is good advice. Many programs will hiccup with a TS but are fine with a PS. RemuxTS (freeware) would be worth a try...its fast!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #19
Trustee

What does "framerserve" mean?

No familiar with that term. Thanks

BTW, I just bought Nero a few days ago and did a test burn with Recode using various source files types, from m2t to WMVHD. So far it is fabulous, fast, and the only successful solution for creating HD content with sound that will play on my Avel Link Player. Best $79 I've ever spent.

I'm curious as to what others are using as a source file type? Are you converting to WMVHD first? How about intermediate codecs such as Cineform?
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #20
Trustee

Paul, I'm not sure what you accomplished since the AVeL LinkPlayer can already play m2t and WMVHD files.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #21
Trustee

The conversion time is much faster

onverting to WMV takes a long time. I guess I didn't realize I could just copy m2ts.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #22
Major Player

The mp4 files Nero creates are a whole lot smaller than m2ts.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...