Can I do this on a 2.53GHz computer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I do this on a 2.53GHz computer?

I've bought a Sony HC1 camcorder but can't really afford to upgrade the computer and don't really want expensive software either. Am used to editing DV but only ever did basic stuff, (straight cuts, occasional cross-fades, titles and music). that's all I really want to do in HDV too.

I have a number of questions:

1) How well will Vegas MS Platinum run on a 2.53 GHz P4 with 768Mb ram, a 64Mb Nvidea card and 2 free disks and 80Gb and a 120Gb both 7200rpm?

2) Will I be able to print HDV projects back to the HC1 with this spec (I've heard its quite processor intensive). I don't mind long renders, TMPGenc frequently takes over 20 hours already.

3) Can the Platinum software use proxy files as it stands (without Gearshift)? If not would the intermediate be OK with this spec. I don't mind working in standard def using proxy's if I have to as I don't do anything very sophisticated.

Thanks
David
David Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tyler
1) How well will Vegas MS Platinum run on a 2.53 GHz P4 with 768Mb ram, a 64Mb Nvidea card and 2 free disks and 80Gb and a 120Gb both 7200rpm?

Vegas will run fine. Your media may not. You're on the slower end of what you barely need to eak by with HDV.

2) Will I be able to print HDV projects back to the HC1 with this spec (I've heard its quite processor intensive). I don't mind long renders, TMPGenc frequently takes over 20 hours already.
absolutely you'll be able to print to tape. HDV has the same data rate as DV

3) Can the Platinum software use proxy files as it stands (without Gearshift)? If not would the intermediate be OK with this spec. I don't mind working in standard def using proxy's if I have to as I don't do anything very sophisticated.
No, because there is no way to switch out the files, unless you manually do it in the media pool. (ouch) That'll take a while if you've got much media on the timeline. However, you can use the CineForm intermediate in VMS Platinum, and your computer will give you somewhat close to real time playback.
VMS is a great tool, but you might find it worthwhile to purchase the CineForm capture tool, since you've got a fairly slow computer by current standards and system minimums. Try their demo for a few days and see how you like it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I also believe Gearshift does not work with the Movie Studio Platinum Version of Vegas. These ultimate solutions are going to cost from $200 up. HD Connect is the Cineform capture to use with Vegas... at $200. Incidentally, my experience with Aspect (in Premiere Pro 2.0) and Vegas using cineform, is that when rendering back to transfer back to tape, you are dealing with extremely long "rendering" times. I have a Dual Core 3800+ AMD system with 2gigs memory, and it seems that render back to tape takes about 10 minutes for every minute of run...

Does anybody else get better using Cineform ?
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

re

Have you tried womble Mpeg wizard, it is a great "basic" mpeg editor. I can edit the native hdv files really well with my amd athlon 2600+. The good thing is the application don't re-encode the hdv file is not affected by any filter, so the render time is smaller then, for example, Tmpegenc.
Alex Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I was quite tempted by the womble editor as it seems really simple. I understand it doesn't write back to the camcorder tape though. Is there another utility or programme that I could use to do that?

I've been capturing with CapDVHS and might try Paviko's HDV Split. Haven't had a problem so far. Is this what you meant or is there more to capturing than I realise?

I'd forgotten that Gearshift doesn't work with Platinum. Does Platinum have its own proxy file option?

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

re

I use capDVHS, I tried Paviko's HDV Split, but I have many errors in the capture file.
Here you hace a complete tutorial for instaling the drivers(so your Pc can detect the HC1, and the way to capture with capDVHS:

http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/freecapture/

Note that this tutorial say you how to transform the m2t native file into another video file, I don't do that, I edit the native mpg file.

I don't know any tool to copy the final file to the camera, I use to save that file in an iso dvdr, think about a DV tape is aprox. 13g,b and an hour of video, a normal DVDr can storage more than 4gb, so you need 3 or 4 dvdr to save one one of HDmpg. Think when you want to use that files,you don't need to re-capture cia firewire again the dv tape, copy the dvdr to the hard disk is easier.
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I hadn't really thought about this but you're right Alex. I reckon I'll probably have 18 months before there's proper high def DVD solution I can output to. That's about 6 or 7 major projects for me which is just a pack of 25 DVD-R disks.

Does womble have an option to make a 1080i WMV HD file?

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

re

No , womble only can export in mpeg format (HD mpeg, DVD, SVCD VCD...), you can open an womble project directly in Tmpgenc.

You can use Virtualdub-mpeg2 to transform a mpeg file to wmv ( I think, I have never try it). Virtualdub-mpeg2 is a virtualdud mod that can open mpeg files.
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

re

Yes I have tried it and you can make a wmv-9 file with virtualdub-mpeg2 from a (hdv)mpeg file. You can download virtualdub-mpeg2 from the link, It is free.

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

Remenber to open the hdv file in virtualdub-mpeg2, you must transform the captured m2t file to mpeg program stream, I make it with womble (in tools), I think the demo version of womble do it, I cannot remenber.
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That's great thanks. Paviko is promising a print to tape option for his capture tool in the future. That would make the womble option even more of a contender for people with low spec computers.

Out of interest, do you know whether Vegas Platinum can edit with lower res proxy files and then substitute the original footage for final render?
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tyler

Out of interest, do you know whether Vegas Platinum can edit with lower res proxy files and then substitute the original footage for final render?
Yes, if you're willing to do it manually.
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

DSE

Thanks for that. Is it relatively easy and does your book (which I beleive comes with the software) explain how to do it?
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #13

The book that comes with the software is related to HDV and not Vegas in any substantive form. The "Instant Movie Studio" book does cover this to a limited degree, but I'm equally happy to share the flow with you if you choose to go this route.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Well I've been playing with the demo version of Vegas Platiunum for the last few days and I can see what a powerful peice of software it is, so if I can get it to work well enough on my computer with HDV I'd prefer to use it.

I haven't been able to test this facility in the demo version because HDV support is not enabled, (I understand why).

I'd be really grateful if you could share the workflow for manual use of low res proxy's (with as much detail as you can) and perhaps venture an opinion on how well this, final render and print to tape will work on my computer.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #15
Regular Crew

More hours with Vegas now under my belt. I'd really welcome some info on that workflow Douglas as I'd like to go ahead and buy the software if it will work properly on my computer.

Thanks
David Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...