DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/6105-vegas-video-discussions-2003-a.html)

Glenn Chan August 1st, 2003 01:52 PM

Once you have the CC filter loaded up, You click on the eye dropper and then you click on something that is supposed to be white. That's how it works in Final Cut Pro and that's how it seems to work in Vegas Video.

Glen Elliott August 1st, 2003 06:09 PM

Odd default settings in Vegas?

I was looking through some of my settings today in Vegas and for the default NTSC DV template it has it set for non-drop frame rulers and 44.0khz sample rate audio.
Isn't standard DV drop-frame timecode and the same rate on the audio 48.0khz?!

Edward Troxel August 1st, 2003 08:48 PM

Yes and Yes. I changed mine to drop frame and 48k. I think you are seeing Vegas' audio roots showing through.

Glen Elliott August 1st, 2003 09:44 PM

I know having it at non-drop frame will do nothing more than give me innacurate program lengths, but what would having the sample rate set at 41 rather than 48 do? Will it adversely effect my audio? Also if it's set at 41 and you place 48hz clips in the timeline do they "play" at 41hz? ?!?!?!!

Why doesn't someone say something to Vegas about this- it should be fixed in the 4.0d patch.

Dan Measel August 2nd, 2003 07:02 AM

Does anyone know how to make a fake fireball?

Does anyone know of a simple way to add an explosion fireball to a clip? Like a bomb going off behind a building and the fire shooting from the side into camera view. Is there a veggie out there that does that? An effects program? I thought about taping a small fireball against a greenscreen and then enlarging it but it seems like that probably wouldn't turn out looking right. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edward Troxel August 2nd, 2003 08:28 AM

I believe the render settings override the project settings so all should be fine anyway.

Lars Siden August 2nd, 2003 12:24 PM

Multimachine rendering anyone?

Hi,

I've been using 3D Studio for a while... renderin my projects using all my computers available ( 2.53ghz + 1.5ghz + 2.0ghz )... this evening it struck me - why can't I render my AVi -> MPEG2 projects using multiple computers?

I know that there are 3d party software that can handle it.... but why can't Vegas do it? Or Mainconcepts MPEG encoder?

Anyone heard something?

Anyone using multiple machines for MPEG rendering?

// Lazze \\

Gerald Lee August 2nd, 2003 12:34 PM

Adding Titles

I'm trying to add text on my video as an overlay, but if I try to make it any other color than white, it turns transparent. Basically I just want solid blue text on my video.

Thanks for any help.

Edward Troxel August 2nd, 2003 01:45 PM

Place any text generated media with a checkered background on a track ABOVE the video track. Change the color of the text to blue and you are done.

Peter Moore August 2nd, 2003 07:25 PM

Having 44.1 KHz audio will screw you up if you are aiming for DVD or export back to DV. Otherwise it shouldn't make a difference

Peter Moore August 2nd, 2003 07:27 PM

I remember watching a documentary for either Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, where they said that somebody wrote a 3D algorithm to make fake fireballs for the first time. I presume, therefore, that it wasn't possible before, and that it's probably still not easy.

The best thing to do would try to find stock footage of an explosion in front of a blue or green screen so that you can put it in yourself.

John Locke August 2nd, 2003 08:57 PM

Dan,

Peter has a good suggestion. Go to ArtBeats.com and check out their "Effects" section...particularly the "Reel Explosions" series (Reel Explosions 4 has some great shots).

And you don't have to buy the whole CD. You can download one only.

They have other effects, like bullets through glass, etc.

Michael Wisniewski August 3rd, 2003 02:13 AM

If you're up to making the explosion yourself you could check out Particle Illusion. Check out the SE version if you're just looking for quick effects.

K. Forman August 3rd, 2003 04:27 AM

Peter- I believe that would be Shrek you are thinking of. They wroth the algorythm to make the Dragons flame expand and multiply, making it look organic.

Peter Moore August 3rd, 2003 07:28 AM

Maybe you're right. Either way I'm always amazed at the new stuff these guys come up with for special effects.

I know some people who are making a video game and we wanted to have this one scene where an ancient temple was exploding. They said that it was virtually impossible to do it right with 3D Studio so instead we'll build a model temple out of plastic and plaster, weaken it in certain key spots, fill it with dirt and gravel, and lighter fluid, and blow it up and film it in slow-mo! I still don't know where we'll get the camera (maybe Panasonic Varicam) to do it, but it's a neat idea, I think.