Vegas Video discussions from 2003 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #1
Wrangler

Vegas Video discussions from 2003

Is the best way to shrink something down in resolution in Vegas, simply to go to File -> Properties (project properties) and alter the width/height to whatever I want? I'm going smaller for web delivery.
I need to know asap if possible.
Thanks
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The least painful (i.e. best way to avoid weird scaling issues) is to render it straight to the new resolution. File->Render As and pick your output resolution there. Changing the project properties does bad things to your currently loaded media, you're only interested in affecting the output.
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #3
Wrangler

Perfect!
Thanks!

Wow, 7 minutes to get the answer I needed. This forum once again is awsome.
Old January 16th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

Just to be sure...
Under "Render As", I assume I go to "Custom" then "Video". Then I have to change the Template to "uncompressed" in order to change the res. to a custom setting. Right?

I rendered out after doing this, but my file size was 2.5x bigger rendering a 320x240 file than when I rendered to NTSC DV 720x480.
Is this just the way it has to be, or am I doing it wrong?
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

No, you do NOT want uncompressed - it's what it says - uncompressed which is extremely large.

Instead, pick File - Render As, and pick the desired output format such as .wmv. THEN choose "Custom" and change to the desired size/quality settings. You should then see files that are MUCH smaller.
Old January 16th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #6
Wrangler

It worked, but delivered a file 1.5 the size of the original. I've got to be doing something wrong.
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #7
Wrangler

Fixed it. Thanks gents!
Old January 19th, 2003, 07:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Vegas video questions

Under project properties, video, frame rate, what is the effect of selecting 24 FPS. Is the for incoming video or rendering? if it is for rendering, does this have a positive effect on viewing.
Old January 20th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #9
Rextilleon

That would before incoming video---
Old January 20th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks David
Old January 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Weird problem with VV 3.0 and XL1s

Ok, this is weird......need some info so I don't scratch out the last of my hair <;~)
I've been waiting on my new video card to show up for my home editing box, and have yet to pick up the Pioneer A-05 DVD burner.
(otherwise I wouldn't of had the issue below).

Last night my partner and I were editing the footage over at my house that we shot last weekend for a 30 second broadcast commercial. After hours of messing with the footage, we got it where we wanted......for a rev.0 to the customer.

He had a 10:30 meeting with them today, so we decided that for the rev. 0 we would "print to tape" in VV 3.0, and go on our merry way after their critique, and edit/publish on our editing box in our quasi office/studio in the next day or so.

During the "print to tape" I couldn't get the XL1s to "record" the edited footage back to tape.
(the same tape I pulled down some of the footage earlier in the process).
Since it was late, I plugged in my GL1 and there was no issue in "printing to tape"......mission accomplished....sort of.

I looked at all my settings to make sure everything was good to go, and literally changed nothing.

My home XP editing box "knows" both of these cameras very well, but we've never used the "print to tape" function since we have VCR and DVD capabilities in our office/studio.

In effect I can "pull" from both cameras, but can only "push" to the GL1.
Any ideas?

XP Pro (updates as recent as 1-25-03)
P4 1.8ghz
1 gig Corsair PC2100 DDR
~200 gig in all Seagate 7200 spin HD's
VV 3.0
Compliant firewire card
(more info if needed)
Old January 28th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

Were you trying to use device control? If so, what would happen if you chose manual control and manually pressed the record button? I've printed to an XL-1 but think I've only done it manually.
Old January 28th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #13
Major Player

hmmm......

For some reason when I plug in the XL1s that option does not give you the ability to "check it".

If I plug in my GL1, it is available.

I haven't plowed through the VV manual yet, since it was late last night when it happened..........
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #14
Wrangler

You might check the driver set used by XP. Many of the NLEs are rather picky about about which driver set you use.

Another thing to check is to be sure the S can be printed to. Try copying a tape from your GL1 to the S via a firewire cable. If that works you at least have a work around until you resolve the issue with Vegas.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #15
Major Player

It might not be a Vegas issue. I had something similar going on. (Vegas 3.c and Win98SE. Capture was OK, but Vegas reported the camera (under options -> preferences -> video device) unavailable for device control. The Vegas forum at Sonic Foundry could not help (uncharacteristically). I re-installed Vegas, tried different 1394 cards - nothing. After a total clean out (Format c:\) and re-install of everything (except the clutter), the problem wasn't there anymore. I still don't know what it was.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...