Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 27th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #136
Sponsor: JET DV

If you are viewing the video on the computer, you could be seeing interlacing issues. TV video is interlaced, computer video is NOT. How does it look when sent to a TV? If it looks normal on a TV then everything is fine. If you are really wanting to use it on a computer, then deinterlace it.
Old March 27th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #137
Major Player

VV4 +NR please read.

Vegas Video 4.0 with Noise Reduction Plugin.

I footage I shot for a wedding and I discovered that I have echos and wind noise that drowned out the main audio. Can I fix this with NR and Vegas or should I look at Premiere 6.5 or maybe something else? If I can use NR...how? thanks.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #138
Tourist

Vegas 4.0+DVD

The thing about Vegas is that is so intuitive. Very small learning curve. Awesome software, I have not been able to find anything that Vegas was unable to produce for me. It is feature laden, stable and if you buy it via the upgrade or academic pricing, inexpensive for what you get. The DVD authoring program they offer has Dolby 5.1 AC3 encoder included.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #139
Air China Pilot

I would also add that the performance of Vegas when you scroll and preview clips is superior to Adobe Premiere.

I work off both of them. I tend to 'quick edit' on VV and then dump it into Premiere for fine tuning.
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #140
Major Player

Having worked on both Premiere and Vegas, I would definitely have this to say.

Vegas is a much faster layout and more intuitive interface and editing is quicker and easier to get you moving along. Not to mention real time previews of your transitions and corrections and effects. Premiere is a render happy tool. Yes the current version has real time but depending on the horsepower of your PC this may mean 8 fps. Chromakeying and other effects are much easier on Vegas. Remember Premiere was designed around the Mac as the ideal platform. Controls and stuff, much like Photoshop is designed around what a Mac User is used to. Whereas Vegas is a PC product that is PC friendly, the right click does what you intend it to do unlike Premiere. But I do complement Premiere on its titler program that is more robust and more professional than Vegas'. Premiere is also easier to work with when you cross other programs like After Effects and Photoshop. With all that said, Vegas is cheaper, easier and faster. Buy Vegas, because Sonic Foundry is in dire straights in the financial side and if we want to continue having great products designed for PC users then we should give them some cheddar.
Old March 29th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #141
Major Player

Keith:

What's the nature of the "fine tuning" that you do in Premiere? Are these things that Vegas cannot do?

Will
Old March 29th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #142
Major Player

To all:

For those using Vegas+DVD, could you describe the capabilities and limitations of DVD Architect? I've read the Web site and brochures, but I'm finding it difficult to put the product into context.

Also, how well integrated is DVD authoring with the NLE? The docs talk about placing chapter marks on the timeline that are exported to DVD architect. I'm not sure what that means or how well it works.

Thanks.
Will
Old March 29th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #143

Will, I've not had the occasion to use the DVD application in Vegas + DVD yet. I'd suggest you go to:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/default.asp and scroll down to Vegas Video Topics. Post your question there and you'll have more answers than you know what to do with.
Old March 30th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #144
Major Player

Jay:

Thanks for the lead. I also found:

www.dmnforums.com
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/he..._tutorials.asp

I'm still interested in any experiences from DViers.

Will
Old March 30th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #145
Wrangler

Vegas 3 camera detection problem

Here's an interesting one.
I'm having problems capturing video using Vegas 3 on my WinXP system. The camera is connected properly, and I can print video to tape with it perfectly. However, when I go to the Capture Video ..
First, I get a message window that says:
"The Device "No Capture Device" could not be opened.
Please Make sure that it is turned on and is not being used byu another application or user."
I click OK, then I get another message window saying:
"The device "Microsoft DV camera and VCR" Could not be opened.
Please makse sure it is turned on..."blah blah..
I click OK, and then I have the Video Capture screen, which shows no camera connected. I hit Reconnect and the same thing happens again.
Now, when I turn the power to the camera off, I get the same messages again.

It worked fine about 3 days ago, which was the last time I captured video.
THe video camera is a Canon ZR40 and I can capture video fine using Microsoft Movie Maker.

HEEEEEELP!

THanks

EDIT: Note, this is also the same result as what happens when you start the Video Capture when the camera is not turned on. But it is, and the DVIN on the camera is solid, not blinking.
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #146
Major Player

Integration, well they are two separate programs, unless I'm usign them incorrectly, usually I would finish editing and then I encode using procoder and then use DVD Architech to make menus and the DVD.
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #147
Wrangler

In addition:
I've also tried starting the computer with the camera on, and various other methods of power on/off while opening the software.

At least this time I know it's a software problem, as the computer detects the video camera when I plug it in.
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:27 AM   #148
Sponsor: JET DV

What driver is the firewire card using? If it is using a Texas Instruments driver, delete the card, reboot, let it auto-detect the card and use the Microsoft driver.
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:31 PM   #149
Major Player

Vegas 5.1 sound

This so far works just like a dream I cant think of any way this could work better. Im just wondering if anyone has fooled around with this option and if so would they mind posting their results. I would enjoy hearing it.

Rob:D
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:38 PM   #150
Major Player

I have Vegas 4 also, I'm trying to figure out how to talk my wife into a surround sound system, so I can try it out.

hmmm. . . a wise man once told me "It's easier to get forgiven, than ask permission".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...