Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2003, 05:48 AM   #241
Regular Crew

TMPGEnc being a particularly useful tool for exactly this kind of thing.

simon
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #242
RED Code Chef

Could it be that the 3D plugin is working at a different fps or that
it is not interpolating things?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #243
Tourist

First off I'm a audio geek at heart (of 20 years) and have dived into video in the last year to great success thanks to Vegas.

Sonic Foundry Noise Reduction is exactly what you need. Feed it some of the hum or noise and it builds a "noiseprint". It will then remove it from your recording. You can even solo just the noise that is being extracted to make sure you're not removing important stuff. I use it when I transfer LPs to my computer. My B&O turntable has a bad connection somewhere and it's a bit noisey, SF Noise Reduction takes that hum out and still leaves the rest of the frqs. It like magic. It's one of those plugins I have that sent shivers down my spine when I first used it.

good luck
jack
Old April 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #244
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

need little more info ..

the orginal clip was shot at 60i or 30p ?

you are now reframing some shots and you are rendering out at 29.97 progressive ? 29,97 interlace , or 24p ?

have you tried using pan/crop instead of the 3d pac to reframe ?

i assume the 16x9 matte was created either in generated media or you have a jpeg/png 16x9 still you are using to create the letterbox THEREFORE it is video track 1
Old April 25th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #245
Rextilleon

This is what I would do---(It works great)

1. Create a second video track above the video you want to manipulate.

2. Place a 16:9 png event above it (If you want it, I have an excellent one).

3. Go into the event pan and crop tool for the image and move it up or down into position.

4. Parent the upper track with the lower track.

It works perfectly--I do it all the time. IF you want the 16:9 template email me at sligo11@hotmail.com.
Old April 25th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #246
Slash Rules!

Donatello. . .

Original footage is regular 60i, 30 fps interlaced. I found a way to render out at 24fps. The jitter came before I found out how to do this, so it was jittery with 30fps.
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #247
High School Student

Is it looking jittery on your computer monitor? Have you viewed it on something other then your computer monitor? Usually DV viewed at full screen on a computer monitor, with most players, will look like it has the shakes.
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #248
Slash Rules!

No no no. Jittery viewed on a television.
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #249
Regular Crew

Sorry it took me so long to post back. I'll send you a clip tonight after I get home, let me know what you can do with it. I've got 2 interviews in this "hum" situation. I'll send 2 small samples.
Thanks again!

Michael Botkin
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #250
Regular Crew

I do this sort of thing all the time using After Effects. Works great for motion graphics such as moving pics around. It also gives you lots of options for FX.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:43 AM   #251
Major Player

I never have backround space for photo montages. I maintain the aspect ratio but I zoom in to a 4:3 size even if the photo was a vertical dimension originally. I think it looks more professional if the photos fill all of the screen. The client really doesnt notice or care about maintaining the original dimentions of the photo, it's the content they see.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:40 AM   #252
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas TTS - Newsletter #5

It's time for another issue of Vegas Tips, Tricks, and Scripts. The main focus of this issue is Snapshots - how to take a frame from your video and turn it into a picture. Tips are included for both Vegas Video 3 and Vegas 4. The Beginner's Corner article deals with getting video into the computer. The article assumes the video is being captured via firewire and illustrates many different ways to capture the video.

Issue #5 can be downloaded from http://www.jetdv.com/tts/archive/TTS01-05.pdf. The issue index has also been updated to include issue #5. As always, feel free to send in your questions, tips, articles, or anything else you think I might like to see or add to the newsletter. Your comments, ideas, and thoughts are always welcome.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:23 PM   #253
Sponsor: JET DV

Sony buys SOFO software (including Vegas)

Sony Pictures Digital to Buy Desktop Software Assets of Sonic Foundry

CULVER CITY, Calif. & MADISON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 2, 2003--Sony Pictures Digital and Sonic Foundry®, Inc. (NASDAQ:SOFO - News) announced today Sony Pictures Digital has struck an agreement to purchase all of Sonic Foundry's desktop software products and related assets for $18 million cash and assumption of certain trade payables, accrued liabilities and capital leases associated with the desktop software business.

The acquisition of Sonic Foundry's desktop software follows the recent retail release of Sony Pictures Digital's Screenblast® Movie Studio(TM) and Screenblast® Music Studio(TM) video and music-mixing applications created in conjunction with Sonic Foundry's award-winning software team.

Sale of the desktop software assets includes Sonic Foundry's popular, industry-leading ACID®, Sound Forge® and Vegas® series of software products, as well as other related assets. Sony anticipates maintaining the group's Madison, Wis. base. The Board of Directors of Sonic Foundry has approved the transaction and certain shareholders have agreed to vote their shares in
favor of the sale. Approval of the agreement may be subject to Sonic Foundry shareholder approval and other various conditions (see details below).

"During the past three years, we have come to recognize and admire Sonic Foundry's engineering expertise and value their software applications. We are excited to integrate this world-class team and their products into our ongoing efforts to produce and deliver

the next generation of consumer entertainment services," said Patrick Kennedy, executive vice president of Sony Pictures Digital.

"The sale of our music and video digital software products is a key
milestone in Sonic Foundry's history," said Rimas Buinevicius, chairman and CEO of Sonic Foundry. "We couldn't pick a better partner than Sony Pictures Digital to carry on the same passion and success we've achieved over the past 12 years," he said. "Consummation of this agreement will give us the cash we need to pay our debt and allow us to focus our attention in writing the next successful chapter of Sonic Foundry's story - rich media - and building upon the early success we've already achieved with our Web presentation solution, Media Site Live(TM)."

Sony Pictures Digital oversees the digital production and online assets of Sony Pictures Entertainment and leads its efforts to develop and provide new forms of online content, games, interactive programming, open-access video-on-demand and wireless entertainment. Screenblast, which first debuted in September 2001, gives the consumer the ability to create, enhance and share their digital videos, music and photos with a combination of a powerful software suite and an easy-to-use online service for sharing and personalizing consumers' media. Screenblast Movie Studio and Screenblast Music Studio software have been available through retail outlets since October 2002.

Sonic Foundry will file a proxy statement shortly with the SEC and mail to investors of record as of April 25 detailing the proposed transaction up for possible approval at its June meeting in Madison, Wis. The company expects to close the transaction within a few days following the shareholder meeting.

The signed agreement marks a major milestone in Sonic Foundry's longer-term strategy to concentrate on markets where rich media solutions are being embraced. The company will use the proceeds to pay off debt and fund its operations for its Web-based rich media communications product, MediaSite Live and related offerings.

About Sony Pictures Digital

Sony Pictures Digital oversees the digital production and online assets of Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) and consists of four key operating business units: Sony Pictures Animation, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Sony Online Entertainment and Sony Pictures Digital Networks which includes SoapCity, Screenblast, Sony Pictures mobile and wireless services, the studio's online promotional arm SPiN, and the UK interactive television service GoPlayTV. By making information and entertainment available anywhere, anytime on any connected device, Sony Pictures Digital is exploring new technology that links hardware with software in ways that advance the current boundaries of the entertainment landscape. For more information, please visit www.sonypictures.com.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Well the recent financials were definitely pointing to something like this.

Sony may have been the perfect acquirer for SF. I think it complements a lot of their consumer product line (audio, CD/DVD burners, DV cameras, etc., PC gear).

Price of the deal is very very cheap.

Only time will tell, but I have a feeling that this may be good for all the Vegas users at least in the development area. Time will also tell if support areas hold current levels.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM   #255
Major Player

This is so frustrating. . .

Why is it that really good audio software companies keep on getting bought out by bigger companies?!?!?

Again, I'm going to take a "wait and see" attitude. Hopefully product support and upgrades will remain intact for the SOFO products.

This will be my third audio (video) software product who's company changed hands. I felt the painful sting when Apple purchased Emagic. (Can't upgrade anymore because I'm PC based and I don't have any plans to purchase an Apple computer in the near future. . . or any computer, for that matter.) I had just purchased Steinberg's SX program (also own Wavelab, Halion, Master Effects, and the two Guitar Plug-ins) when Pinnicle bought out that company. (So far, there's been no noticable changes, thank goodness!) And now SONY has purchased SOFO.

ARGGGHHHH!

I do hope that this will benefit us software owners of Sonic Foundry products. I own Vegas (3 & 4), Sound Forge, Noise Reduction and even purchased the effects package a couple of years ago. I like and use these products a lot. Especially Vegas 4.0.

I'm no business person by any stretch of the imagination. With this in mind, I ask. . . "Why are really good audio/video software companies being bought out???" Why can't SOFO just remain SOFO. . . and Emagic just remained Emagic and Steinberg. . . . . etc., etc. . . .

Ted

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...