Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #376
Wrangler

Garret, are you working with PS7.0? What's your workflow for creating titles? Do you start with the NTSC DV (720x540) Template then resize to 720x480 before importing to avoid any stretch?
Also how do you layer it...just keep your text and effects (drop shadow, etc) on it's own layer by it'self surrounded by transparancy? Also, how do you line it up correctly- if you import a title and find it's off by a few inches (pixels) can you adjust it on the fly using "pan/crop" (I'm a Vegas newb)? Lastly- when you import a text graphic from Photoshop into Vegas is there rendering required?
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #377
New Boot

Hi Edward,

just wondering what's taking so long w/ my order? I ordered the online version to be emailed to me and I havn't heard anything yet. Please get back with me.

Thanks,

Joe
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #378
Sponsor: JET DV

Joe,

Contact Gary directly here:

VegasEditing@aol.com
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #379
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : Edward, does this add-on make the velocity stuff easier to use? You mentioned something about the velocity... Hopefully you know what I am talking about, Vegas gets screwy when you change the speed and try to slice it and stuff... -->>>

Alex, define "screwy"...do you mean it's starts to malfuntion and act funny similar to many scenarios I encounter in Premiere?! Please tell me know, I'm switching from Premiere to avoid that very thing!
...or is it like Ed explained, when reversing a clip you have to look at it as if it's not reversed when you trip (i.e, if you need to trim the end of the reversed clip you have to take it from the left of the clip...etc). Is that the "screwy'ness" you were speaking of?
I'm just concerned because that was one of the specific areas that Premiere seemed to act buggy- when you change clip speeds and start splicing them up and copying and pasting back to back, etc etc. In other words if you try to get overly creative with footage Premiere tends to crap out on you. lol
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:42 AM   #380

I have been able to duplicate a problem with the following:

1. Add a velocity envelope
2. Add a new node and slow it down
3. Add a new node and speed it up
4. Add a new node and slow it down
5. Add a new node and speed it up
6. Add a new node and slow it down

You now have several nodes across time adjusting the speed.

7. Pick a point after the last node and SPLIT.

Here is the problem: The frame AFTER the split is NOT the frame AFTER the frame BEFORE the split!

As for Excalibur, it will simply change the velocity for the entire clip and then resize the clip to fit that new velocity. It also includes an option for freeze frame.
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #381
Regular Crew

I have used layers with the Elements 2.0 program, they must have cut something else out. I guess I can check the Adobe site for tutorials on text graphics unless you know of a better link to find one.
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #382
Regular Crew

Glen,

When I use layers to create buttons for a DVD project I save an image from my video clip from Vegas as a jpeg and import it into my PS Elements. I use that as a background and then do the text on top of it as layers, then delete the background Vegas jpeg before saving. That way it's in the exact position I want it. I don't know if that answers part of your question or not.
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #383
Regular Crew

Thanks guys (Big thanks to Rob)

I appreciate all your help. After reviewing the .veg sent by Rob, I began experimenting with my wedding title. The spark affect using the light ray and lens flare looks nice, but is not at the quality I would like it. I will continue to play with it for a little while longer. If I am not satisfied, I will resolve to the simpler, yet nice title.

This has been a learning experience.
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #384
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Vegas4 Compettive Upgrade program!!

We just got official word about this great upgrade program. Owners of compettive editing prodcuts can save $100 on Vegas4!!

The Vegas competitive upgrade is an easy and affordable way to switch from your current video and audio production software to the award-winning Vegas 4.0 and Vegas+DVD. Eligible Competitive Products Include:

Adobe® Premiere®
Apple Final Cut Pro
Pinnacle Edition
Ulead MediaStudio Pro
Avid XPress DV
Aist Movie DV
Media 100 Media Cleaner Pro
Emagic Logic
Cakewalk Pro Audio/Home Studio

Vegas 4+DVD step-up $499.95 (reg sale price $599.95)
Vegas 4 step-up $299.95 (reg sale price $399.95)

To receive special pricing, users of competing products must show proof of ownership by providing a screenshot graphic of their current application's Help/About box or a copy of the first page of the users manual & serial number. You can fax this in to us 516 671-3092.

Vegas 4 is a very stable and productive editing environment. It's got a great core of users who are constantly helping eachother out. The WWUG & COW Vegas forums are very active. Several members have taken it upon themselves to publish tips and useful downloads.

For more info on Vegas4, the compettive upgrade program and the Vegas + DVD - Tips, Tricks, & Scripts Newsletter http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html

Gary
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #385
Wrangler

Don't mean to burst your bubble but B&H already sells Vegas+DVD for $499 without a "discount".

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh4/con...=274500&is=REG
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #386
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Interesting. We had that pricing for the first month or so after Vegas4 shipped, then it got pulled. I guess B&H must still have some inventory left from that original deal.

No matter how you cut it, at $499.95 Vegas+DVD is one hackuva good deal.

Gary
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #387
Wrangler

Agreed, thanks for the heads up!
Old June 18th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #388
Wrangler

Vegas Pan/Crop tool?

Just getting into learning Vegas- so far I absolutly love it. Granted it's a cosiderably different from the Premiere workflow, however much more robust.

My question is with the Pan/Crop tool. Actually two questions:

1.Why does footage look squashed (stretched vertically) and images/photos look fine in the Pan/Crop dialogue box? Is it because the footage is rectangular pixels and graphics/photos being square match the square pixel aspect of the computer monitor? I'm asking because the distortion seems pretty drastic- I know the rectangular to square pixel thing can change the aspect ratio of the image but not to the degree it's exibiting in the pan crop tool.

2. When I'm shinking the box (ie zooming in on the viewable area of the image/footage) sometimes I get letterboxing either vertically or horizonally. It's only at certian sizes though. I can aleviate this by unchecking preserve aspect ratio and moving the edges ever so slightly till the black bars are removed. Does anyone know why I'm getting this when preserve aspect ratio is on and I'm making sure my selection box isn't going outside the image/footage itself?!
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #389

1. Either should look fine. Pan/Crop should use the proper aspect depending on the source.

2. When using images (scanned pictures...) the FIRST step is to right-click the "F" window and choose "Match Output Aspect". This will solve all of the "letterboxing" problems.
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #390
Wrangler

Ed,

1.I noticed this even in the Class on Demand DVD (disc 2) when he was using the pan/crop tool on the footage of the toy Viper. The photos from the wedding looked fine but the footage of the viper looked squashed. I'm encountering the same thing. Granted it looks fine on the preview monitor but my view of it in the pan/crop box is odd.

2. Right clicking and choosing "match aspect ratio" was the first thing I did. I still find I get these bars when shrinking the viewable window considerably. I believe I saw similar bars in some of the Class on Demand video as well when Douglas did the zoom into the toy vipers wheel (I'm not sure I'll have to go back and look). This was seen all the while having "match aspect ratio" right clicked and selected.

Any ideas?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...