Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:12 PM   #451
Major Player

I have to say that that encoder rocks. I took my friends short and by the time I was done with the dvd the short was in its 5th generation. I was thinking OH Crap it will look horrible. But WOW was all I could say. I did however render out the whole film into stills. That did take sometime but I think it saved it in the long run. Also DVD creation couldn't be more fun and challenging with architect. Rock ON VEGAS+DVD!

gota love it.

Rob:D
Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:41 PM   #452
Regular Crew

Yep, I agree. I am currently doing a project with lots of 13gb files, no troubles at all.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:06 PM   #453
Inner Circle

Also uncheck use the MS Codec option. that way you only use the SoFo codec, which is what you want for best quality.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM   #454
Major Player

Still frame render in Vegas 4

You know it is funny. I cannot for the life of me find the damn option to render out one single frame into a targa. Any help or workaround will be great.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:03 PM   #455
Sponsor: JET DV

That's because there isn't one. However, you CAN capture a single frame to PNG or JPG.

Look at the newsletters at http://www.jetdv.com/tts. One of the issues deals specifically with capturing snapshots from video frames. If you want to use the help file, search for "snapshot".
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:15 PM   #456
Major Player

Alex, I think by default it lists microsoft DV in the capture pull-down. Because even with 'ignore 3rd party codecs' checked and the MS codec unchecked, it's still there for me.

If someone can prove me wrong, please let me know asap.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:10 PM   #457
Major Player

thx for the info. To bad it's not as easy as Premiere. Also is there a way to export to image sequence?

Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:40 PM   #458
Regular Crew

Bruce:

Actually, the other way around. Use a widescreen project and use "match output aspect" instead of using the 16:9 pan/crop preset. Why? Because anamorphic widescreen DV and anamorphic widescreen DVD are the same 720x480 pixels, and very slightly wider than 16:9 (704x480 would be true 16:9). The 16:9 preset is exact 16:9, which is why you got the black bars.

///d@
Sonic Foundry, Inc.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:43 PM   #459
Regular Crew

Thanks again everyone. This is a great help. Sorry to belabor the point but just so I am completely sure I understand about the prerendering. Even with a complex sequence of clips with track motion, multiple layers and transitions if I prerender to avi and then import that back into a new vegas project I can expect little to no loss in quality?
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:49 PM   #460
Regular Crew

This has been confirmed as a bug reading >4G AVI format files created from Adobe products (and possibly elsewhere). It will be fixed in the forthcoming 4.0d update.
///d@
Sonic Foundry, Inc.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:55 PM   #461
Regular Crew

Alex:

1) DV capture doesn't use a codec, it's a data transfer. "Microsoft VCR or Camera" (or whatever) is the generic name for "DV device".

2) The default Vegas settings are to use the SF Vegas DV codec. As the others pointed out, make sure "Ignore 3rd party codecs" is ON and "Use Microsoft DV codec" is OFF. These are the defaults.

You should be good to go.

///d@
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:03 PM   #462
Regular Crew

There is a script to export still image sequences, to JPG or PNG. This script is called RenderImageSequence.js and is available for download from here.
///d@
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:36 PM   #463
Major Player

thx. Do you know why they don't deal with any other format other than .png or .jpg?
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:17 PM   #464
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Measel : Even with a complex sequence of clips with track motion, multiple layers and transitions if I prerender to avi and then import that back into a new vegas project I can expect little to no loss in quality? -->>>

Correct.
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #465
Posting suspended -- Contact Admin

Vegas 4 VCD Burning questions!

I'm trying to burn a complete project to VCD in Vegas 4, but after the first tried, the VCD has no audio. I've 4 video tracks and 5 audio tracks on the timeline, but why it didn't render the audio. I don't understand it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...