Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #586
Sponsor: JET DV

The border effect should work fine. Just apply the border effect, choose the blurred preset, and adjust the size of the border.
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:44 AM   #587
Inner Circle

tried that ... :(

border comes out blurred but black, and as far as i can see the colour bars dont allow have alpha... jsut solid colours... :( :(
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:09 AM   #588
Wrangler

No one knows?! C'mon guys don't let me down....
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:04 AM   #589
Trustee

Glen,

As Vegas is software based and not hardware based importing and editing shouldn't be a problem. It's when you come to exporting that could be a problem. NLE PAL-NTSC conversions aren't the best quality available, they're OK for personal stuff but certainly not broadcastable. I've done it with Quicktime and the results weren't too bad, occasional artifacts in fast motion sequences. As for exporting as MPG2, I'd convert first as native DV then export as an MPG2 file.
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:43 AM   #590
Wrangler

So say if I transport the native PAL DV footage to my computer (from numerous DVDs) edit it in a PAL template, then I can actually export as NTSC DV AVI before encoding to MPG2. In other words it's both 1.possible and 2. advisable to export my edited PAL footage to NTSC DV AVI format before encoding for MPG2?

This is something I've never attempted- I've always kept the workflow totaly in NTSC...so I've never tried to switch format halfway through my workflow. Hopefully it'll allow it....without the "artifacting" you spoke of.
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:57 AM   #591
Obstreperous Rex

Spot is on DMN because they're paying him to be there. Do you think I should make a counter-offer? We already have so many talented folks right here who should be paid. At any rate, you asked, so you receive... welcome to DV Info's new Vegas forum. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:02 AM   #592
Wrangler

Hey.. What about Premiere?

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM   #593
Obstreperous Rex

If there's enough demand by a number of our members, and if there's someone talented enough to volunteer to moderate it, then sure, we can start a Premiere-specific forum. Or Final Cut, or Edition, or any flavor of video editing app. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:15 AM   #594

Actually, the borders SHOULD be alpha. Place a solid color generated media BELOW the bordered clip. You should then see that color as the border.
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:01 AM   #595
Trustee

There's a number of different ways to convert from PAL to NTSC without spending money. The first is to export your edited PAL project as an NTSC AVI. I haven't got Vegas handy at the moment but I think there is an option to resample or something like that, make sure it is checked.

Another way is to export you project as a PAL AVI and then convert to NTSC using Quicktime PRO if you have it.

I've tried both and had success with both to various degrees, but neither of them was what I would call broadcastable.
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:14 AM   #596
Wrangler

So no matter what- when I convert PAL to NTSC I'll lose quality one way or another. I mean it makes sense- it not only runs on a different frame-rate, it has a different resolution.
So it's proabably best to stay within whatever format the source material started as, if possible. The only reason I needed to possibly convert to NTSC is because it's the only way to create DVD discs that were univeraly compatable.

How about MPG1s? If I edit the source PAL material and export as several MPG1 files is there any format incompatabilities? Do you even have to specify PAL or NTSC when encoding a simple MPG?
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:27 AM   #597
Inner Circle

found an easier solution.. using the Border effect gives a solid colour.. but using the cookie cutter on the overlaid track works beautifully :)

just pic the cut away all but section, adjust the size, and voila works a charm!
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM   #598

You are bound to lose a little quality simply because you are going from 25fps to 30fps. Where do the extra 5 frames come from? They have to be "created".
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:49 AM   #599

Yes, either Border or Cookie Cutter should work well over a generated media color. Cookie Cutter will give more control as to shape, size, and position.
Old July 21st, 2003, 12:05 PM   #600
Wrangler

Edward, is what I heard true regarding PAL players handling NTSC fine? Also any definitive info regarding outputting edited PAL footage as MPG1. When dealing with MPG1 media formats don't matter in regards to PC playback...correct.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...