Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 46 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2003, 01:52 PM   #676
Inner Circle

Once you have the CC filter loaded up, You click on the eye dropper and then you click on something that is supposed to be white. That's how it works in Final Cut Pro and that's how it seems to work in Vegas Video.
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:09 PM   #677
Wrangler

Odd default settings in Vegas?

I was looking through some of my settings today in Vegas and for the default NTSC DV template it has it set for non-drop frame rulers and 44.0khz sample rate audio.
Isn't standard DV drop-frame timecode and the same rate on the audio 48.0khz?!
Old August 1st, 2003, 08:48 PM   #678
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes and Yes. I changed mine to drop frame and 48k. I think you are seeing Vegas' audio roots showing through.
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:44 PM   #679
Wrangler

I know having it at non-drop frame will do nothing more than give me innacurate program lengths, but what would having the sample rate set at 41 rather than 48 do? Will it adversely effect my audio? Also if it's set at 41 and you place 48hz clips in the timeline do they "play" at 41hz? ?!?!?!!

Why doesn't someone say something to Vegas about this- it should be fixed in the 4.0d patch.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:02 AM   #680
Regular Crew

Does anyone know how to make a fake fireball?

Does anyone know of a simple way to add an explosion fireball to a clip? Like a bomb going off behind a building and the fire shooting from the side into camera view. Is there a veggie out there that does that? An effects program? I thought about taping a small fireball against a greenscreen and then enlarging it but it seems like that probably wouldn't turn out looking right. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM   #681

I believe the render settings override the project settings so all should be fine anyway.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 12:24 PM   #682
Major Player

Multimachine rendering anyone?

Hi,

I've been using 3D Studio for a while... renderin my projects using all my computers available ( 2.53ghz + 1.5ghz + 2.0ghz )... this evening it struck me - why can't I render my AVi -> MPEG2 projects using multiple computers?

I know that there are 3d party software that can handle it.... but why can't Vegas do it? Or Mainconcepts MPEG encoder?

Anyone heard something?

Anyone using multiple machines for MPEG rendering?

// Lazze \\
Old August 2nd, 2003, 12:34 PM   #683
Regular Crew

Adding Titles

I'm trying to add text on my video as an overlay, but if I try to make it any other color than white, it turns transparent. Basically I just want solid blue text on my video.

Thanks for any help.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM   #684

Place any text generated media with a checkered background on a track ABOVE the video track. Change the color of the text to blue and you are done.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:25 PM   #685
Trustee

Having 44.1 KHz audio will screw you up if you are aiming for DVD or export back to DV. Otherwise it shouldn't make a difference
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:27 PM   #686
Trustee

I remember watching a documentary for either Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, where they said that somebody wrote a 3D algorithm to make fake fireballs for the first time. I presume, therefore, that it wasn't possible before, and that it's probably still not easy.

The best thing to do would try to find stock footage of an explosion in front of a blue or green screen so that you can put it in yourself.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 08:57 PM   #687
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,

Peter has a good suggestion. Go to ArtBeats.com and check out their "Effects" section...particularly the "Reel Explosions" series (Reel Explosions 4 has some great shots).

And you don't have to buy the whole CD. You can download one only.

They have other effects, like bullets through glass, etc.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 02:13 AM   #688
Wrangler

If you're up to making the explosion yourself you could check out Particle Illusion. Check out the SE version if you're just looking for quick effects.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:27 AM   #689
Capt. Quirk

Peter- I believe that would be Shrek you are thinking of. They wroth the algorythm to make the Dragons flame expand and multiply, making it look organic.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:28 AM   #690
Trustee

Maybe you're right. Either way I'm always amazed at the new stuff these guys come up with for special effects.

I know some people who are making a video game and we wanted to have this one scene where an ancient temple was exploding. They said that it was virtually impossible to do it right with 3D Studio so instead we'll build a model temple out of plastic and plaster, weaken it in certain key spots, fill it with dirt and gravel, and lighter fluid, and blow it up and film it in slow-mo! I still don't know where we'll get the camera (maybe Panasonic Varicam) to do it, but it's a neat idea, I think.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...