Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 17th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #766
Trustee

That's an interesting idea. And that would explain why it's apparently random, i.e. as files get shuffled around and moved on the hard drive, the problem goes away and comes back with other clips. I'll scandisk the drive and see what happens.

The only reason I might doubt this is that the pop is only in one of the six channels, even though the clip is panned so as to be audible in all of them. But that could mean that the problem is with the hard drive when writing the rendered wave files, as opposed to when reading the source clips.

There've also been problems with crashing during a render (I mentioned this in another thread), and a total system crash occasionally when I open a file. They could all be related to the hard drive (a 250 GB firewire drive).
Old August 18th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #767
Inner Circle

hmm.. now THAT is interesting.. 250GB is huge and on a non partitioned allocation may cause probs...

at 250gb, i would personally partition it into 2 sections.

personally i use 2 120gb drives fpr media and 1 80gb drive for audio, materials and other crap

going back, i use one 120gb for source & one for finals. Its faster during render and if one crashes (which HAS happened) i dont lose all my work...

seems that the reading is being corrupted during the render, and considering you mentioned these were large files, i do not doubt that the HD is having issues buffering or even reading a sector.

the largest single file i have ever used is 12gb, i wont go higher as it causes issues and instability...
Old August 18th, 2003, 05:33 AM   #768
Tourist

Video Card

I purchased ACEDVIO-Vegas Video bundle recently.

Vegas works acceptable in a PIII 1.2 with on-board Sys 16Mb video card, 1GB RAM and a 20$ PCI firewire card.
When paying back a clip in the timeline (both in window and the DV Deck) the picture is jerky but is easy to trim and configure the clip.

I set up a new machine with:
ASUS P4G8X, PIV 2.4GHz, 512RAM, Nvidia GEForce4 MX440 128RAM
Unlike the other machine, when I try to play backa clip it is not continuous, it plays and stops enery second or two. the same thing happens when you jog through a clip making it hard to trim and select the piece of video to edit.
When the clip is rendered everything is fine. Same thing happens when printing to tape.
Is this a RAM problem?
is this a Video card problem?
I understand this is a gamer card, What other chances do I have?
Matrox Millenium 650P?
Parhelia?
Geforce4Ti4600?

Thanks in advance
Carlo
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:21 AM   #769
Trustee

The files themselves are not that large, at least not the wave files. There's just a lot of them. It could be a read problem during render, but then why would only one of the 6-channels have the problem while the others are fine? More likely I think it's a problem when writing the rendered file. And since the rendered files are getting moved around and rewritten an awful lot, that would explain why it appears to be random.

Anyway once I finish backing up this drive then I'll repartition it I suppose. The only frustrating thing is that Vegas is the only piece of SW thus far that has had any problem on this drive. Even Premier (which I can't stand, by the way) is fine with it.
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #770
Sponsor: JET DV

The first thing I would check is whether DMA is active on the hard drives. If it is NOT, you will get what you described. DMA MUST be active for video.

Other possibilities are IRQ conflicts, possible need for updated drivers........
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #771
Inner Circle

could be access speeds (considering the amount of files your using) and the fact thet vegas likes to mix and match which files it plays thru buffers or directly off HDD....

I usually like to keep 3 stereo tracks for most projects... 3 stereo busses for each 5.1 channel.

this keeps it "neat" i dunno, but it seems vegas is having issues with latency or drive access times...
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #772
Regular Crew

Carlo,

Is your media on an external firewire drive? If so, there are known problems with some external firewire drives and Vegas.
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #773
Tourist

Hard drives are ATA 133 7.200 rpm on a PCI card. Worked well with previous system. If play back was the problem it would give me no playback when rendered and printed to tape.

Again, the problem is only when I try to do playback of a clip on the time line or trim window, either in the preview window or the DV machine.
When I render the clip to another file and put it in the timeline, playback is perfect either in the preview or DV machine, as is print to tape.
Thanks
Old August 18th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #774
Inner Circle

One more time-Thanks Edward!!!

I said it in another place but I'll say it again, THANK YOU EDWARD!!!!!!!

Tsunami + Excalibur makes editing almost fun :-)

For those of you who use Vegas, you've got to get Eds newest creation, Tsunami-help tools and artisic tools that make life sooooo easy, that now I think I really can teach my old dog some new tricks. (like how to edit)
Don
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #775
Regular Crew

Can Vegas Soften Images?

Can Vegas recreate the soft images like that created by using a Softare filter? I am aware of "Quick Blur" and "Glow" functions, but I am looking for something a little more like the effect produced by the high priced Zeiss filters.
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #776
Wrangler

Soft images as in like a soft focus? Simple, duplicate your track, add a gaussian blur on the top track, then lower the opacity to roughly 50%, render, and your done...instant soft-focus. :)

The best part about Vegas is it supports compositing so I can re-create certian effects I use often in image-editing via Photoshop.
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #777
Sponsor: JET DV

There's also some new tools that will perform this action and many more tasks being released soon from Zenote. If you know anything about the BigFX tools, this is the same tools being released for Vegas.
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:00 PM   #778
Regular Crew

Southern California Vegas Users Group

The Southern California Vegas Users Group - August Meeting is:

Tuesday - August 19th, 2003

Time: 7:30 p.m.

The SCVUG is open to all Vegas Users, Worldwide!

We hold Monthly Meetings in the SoCal Area in which we conduct Vegas Trainings, Vegas Products Demonstrations and Member Presentations. The meetings are Free! And we usually raffle away Valuable Sonic Foundry and Third Party Vegas Editing Products at our monthly meetings.

At this meeting we will be Demoing Edward Troxel's New Vegas Scripts Software "Tsunami". And, we will be giving away a copy in the raffle!

We will also be Demoing Gary Kleiner's New Vegas DVD Training Set.

Come Join in on the SCVUG Group Camaraderie.

For more info and details - please contact me.

Jay Mitchell

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalVegasUsers/
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #779
Regular Crew

Excellent! I like the look of a soft filter, but I would rather have the flexibility of doing the job in post!

Thanks.
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #780
Wrangler

Really- I heard BigFX is a pretty good set of filters...do you know when it's being released for Vegas and/or where I can read about it?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...