Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #16
Major Player

Vegas 4 and DVD Architect question

Does anyone know what specific features you will be able to get with DVD Architect that you won't get with Vegas 4 (other than the ability to burn DVDs)?
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #17
Rextilleon

Steve--its not burning DVDs--its an authoring program, entirely different then Vegas (an NLE) You author your DVD's---create chapters etc with ARchitect---dont confuse the two.
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #18
New Boot

Problem with VV3 - making mpeg2 for DVD will never happen at this rate.

Okay. I have had this problem for days now, I asked on sonicfo. forums with no help. Maybe you guys can help...

When I try to render as mpeg2 (because I will need to burn to dvd soon) it renders for about 2-3 minutes and then I get an error (error unknown)... this is a problem that others on the sonicfo. forums have yet nobody knows how to fix it. I am running out of time and need to get this thing turned into a mpeg2. dvd quality...

Can you guys either:

A. Tell me what is wrong with vegas.

B. Tell me what I should do as far as programs other than vegas that can make good mpeg2s... some "how to's" would be fantastic if you recommend another program. I have never burned a dvd and could use all the help I can get.
Old January 30th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

Eric,

Download TMPGEnc from www.tmpgenc.net and output your
final movie from VV to AVI. Then load this up in the encoder
and select the correct DVD template. Hit encode and it should
make you a compliant MPEG-2 file. You can try this out for 20
or 30 days.

Authoring a DVD is a whole different game. I believe Nero
can make a self-playing DVD-Video (just drop the file in), but
I'm not sure. Haven't done authoring myself yet.

Good luck

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #20
Slash Rules!

And TMPGEnc's quality was much better than the MPEG that Vegas could make, in my opinion.
Old January 31st, 2003, 12:56 AM   #21
Major Player

reply to Tor

Thanks Tor,
I've had 2 problems that no one on these boards has had with VV 3.0.

I was starting to get a complex......heh
Old January 31st, 2003, 01:24 AM   #22
Major Player

Vegas Video 3c is the current release, yet

Dan,
Are you using V V 3.0? If yours is a Vegas problem after all, an upgrade to 3 c might help. That is a free download for anyone with a valid 3.0 ownership. There won't be a 3 d, but 4.0 is just around the corner. That will get rid of your complexes (but not your complexion - due to its powerfur colour correction tools - ha ha).
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:16 AM   #23
Major Player

Here's the DVD Architect product info:
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/dvda-feat.asp

and here's the forum:
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=22
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:39 AM   #24
Regular Crew

How do I improve text appearance in VV3?

I've noticed that when I use moving texts in my projects on Vegas Video there are horizontal kind of pixelated lines in the text. I don't know if I am explaining the way the text looks well, but I would prefer more homogeneous smooth appearing moving texts. I am rendering as mpeg2 and I think my settings are just the default ones. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the way they look? Does anyone use a text generator plug-in to achieve better results?

Thanks
Old January 31st, 2003, 04:01 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Widescreen AR in Vegas different than in Premiere?

I have downloaded and started to play with the Vegas demo (I have no previous experience from Vegas).

The PAL DV widescreen aspect ratio in Vegas is stated as 1.4568. In Premiere the aspect ratio is stated as 1.422 and in EasyChanger as 0.7031 (which is the the same as the inverted value ratio stated in Premiere).

Is there anyone that can shed some light on this issue? As I understand either Vegas or Premiere have/states the wrong AR. I have captured Widescreen DV (from a Sony PDX10P which is stated to record "true" widescreen without being a native 16:9 CCD) and edited in Premiere and in Vegas. Since I've only encoded a short clip (about 1 minute) and I can't view the clips side by side it's hard to tell which gives the most accurate result. However, in Vegas as well as in Premiere it seems as part of the picture is "over the top and under the bottom" (Canopus watermark partly hidden). Could this latter be due to overscan and is it something that I have to live with or could it be that I use the wrong template? In Vegas I have tried output to PAL DV Widescreen (no watermark which might be due to "none watermarked" codec) and Canopus and MainConcept (resulted in watermark).

Any input is highly appreciated.

Hans
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:01 AM   #26
RED Code Chef

I suspect Premiere is correct since they have the product longer
and also because it is the same value of that other product
(inverted).... but ofcourse I might be wrong

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:18 PM   #27
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1.45 or 1.42 ??
for normal ntsc some use .9 others .9091

you can make it whatever you like in V .. so if you want to use the premiere 1.42 ... in V window FILE / Properties ... now in the pixel aspect choose PAL widescreen THEN change the 1.45xx to 1.42 ... this will change the preview window so a clip with aspect of 1.42 will fill it ( no bars on sides)

to make sure your clip has the same pixel aspect ( in V only) so you don't have black bars on sides go to media pool - right click on clip - PROPERTIES .. again change the pixel aspect to pal widescreen then change the 1.45 to 1.42

NOTE that many of these hand size camera's do NOT fill the whole frame from side to side ... so you might not be able to get rid of the black on each side
Old February 1st, 2003, 07:11 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input.

I have done some additional reading and I think that I'm beginning to understand. It seems as Vegas and Premiere uses different basis for the calculation. Vegas seems to use the a method including also the fraction of non-square pixels (702 + 54/59 non square 59/54 pixels per line) that fits in 768 square pixels per line whilst Premiere excludes the fraction. Although the figures differ the visable result might be the same?

Include links to what I have read in case anyone is interested.

http://geocities.com/wunder01au/widescreen.html

and

http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html
Old February 1st, 2003, 09:08 AM   #29

the easiest way to test the image is to record a perfect circle. When viewing the circle after rendering in the NLE, incorrect AR will result in the circle being distorted into an oval, sufficiently to be measured. Be aware than many, many video players, including Micro$oft Media Player, DO NOT convert aspect ratios correctly, nor do monitor screens that have been incorrectly set up.

This is a very thorny issue because of all the potential sources of distortion. Having gone thru this in detail, in the past, most problems come from the player or screen adjustments.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Stephen, in addition to authorng DVDs you also have the option to turn 5.1 audio into AC3 format. As far as I know, there will not be a standalone AC3 plug-in for Vegas (like there is for Acid). it requires the DVD architect program.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...