Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #76
Sponsor: JET DV

Are you capturing from the same camera that recorded the video? If not, try that first. It sounds like what I got when one of my cameras was going out of alignment. The tapes from that camera would drop audio when played on my deck.
Old February 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #77
Slash Rules!

DMA was apparently not enabled. I clicked the check mark (this is win 98) and it says it may have undesirable effects on my hardware if I enable it. Sure this is a good idea? Does this even matter on my C drive, or only on the drive where the media is stored?

My card was a $75 Pyro 1394 card--been using it for like a year and only had this happen with one other tape (coincidentally, a Panasonic linear plus)

XL1s camera.
Old February 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #78

This should work as a work-around for you. First, render the project to an AVI file. Now, start a new project and import that AVI and render it to MPG. This method should work.
Old February 27th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #79
Slash Rules!

Not captured from the same cam that recorded the video. That came was rented from our local Public Access station, and unavailable at the time. I don't really have the means to get to it for capture, as they need a quick turnaround on these edits.
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #80

First, DMA really needs to be turned on.

Second, do you hear the dropouts when playing the tape to a TV? (i.e. connect the deck/camera outputs to a TV and watch the tape - are there dropouts then?). If there are dropouts on the TV too, then it is NOT the computer - it's the tape.

Third, do you have another camera/deck (or know of someone who has one you could test with) you could try playing the tape in? If yes, does it exhibit the same symptoms?
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #81
RED Code Chef

Josh,

DMA is very important. Just ignore the warning. I have never ever
had a problem with turning this on (althought in theory it could
lead to problems). If your devices do not support it they will disable
it automatically. So you can go back in your device manager after
the reboot and see which devices kept the DMA flag and which
didn't. By the way, this is not only for harddisk but also for CD
players, DVD players & burners!!

You will notice a whole new different world when you turn on
DMA. It is crucial for audio/video work! I'm pretty sure it will
eliminate your audio dropouts.

HTH!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #82

Vegas EDL Output is HERE

Posted by: SonicPJM
Date: 2/27/2003 11:24:53 AM

I've been working on a script that exports CMX 3600 EDLs... there are some limitations but I've had decent success bringing the results into AVID. Of course, once the sequence is in AVID, my success with editing tasks has not been as good ;-).

Get it here: http://www.ayizwe.net/VegasScripts/ExportEDL.js.txt

Feedback is welcome.... Enjoy!
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #83
Slash Rules!

Well, hell, I'll try it! I think it was the tape though, in all fairness. I captured another tape last night, and that one had no drops.

Also, on my media drive (a Lacie firewire drive, 80gb) there is an option to check the "int 13 unit" (there is no DMA enable option). Anyone know what this means?
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #84
Major Player

Int 13 is the BIOs way of accessing a drive. My guess is that is for backward compatability with olde old software, I would NOT turn it on unless you are having a problem with something accessing the drive, in 13 is literally accessing the drive via BIOs (very slooowwww) calls, it is the simplest, yet slowest way of working with a drive. Essentially int13 is what DOS used in the begining to access a drive. IDE still uses int13, but just long enough to initialize the drive from the system to boot form it, then the various IDE controller drivers take over and access the drive via the variosu Ultra-DMA methods.
Old March 1st, 2003, 02:41 AM   #85
Wrangler

vegas save question

Quick question here.
I saved a 3 minute video in a new folder, using "copy and trim media" with a 2 second heat/tail on each clip.

Instead of cutting everything into little clips like normal, Vegas saved one 3.7 GB file for the video (should only be 600ish MB), and all the assd small audio files.

Can anyone tell me why it's doing this? I test saved another short video and it worked normaly with it.
Thanks
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM   #86

What format was the video file?

If it wasn't DV-AVI, it copies the whole thing instead of the smaller piece.
Old March 1st, 2003, 01:01 PM   #87
Wrangler

All my video clip that I capture from tape become ATI files.

Normaly, when I save a project with Copy & Trim Media, it saves 3 files per clip; an ATI file for video, a Sonic Foundry Wave64 for audio, and an SFK file. So if there is 30 clips in the project, there will be 30 of each file type. Plus the VEG project file.
What happened this time, is that everything was saved normaly, except that instead of 30 small files totaling 700mb, I got the one original 3GB file that the all the files originated from when I imported the video from my camera.

Do my files only save as ATI files because of my ATI Radeon video card software?
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:53 PM   #88

I've never heard of an "ATI" file. It seems to work fine with "AVI" files captured via firewire with the Vegas capture program. Sounds like a file format problem.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:32 AM   #89
Wrangler

I'm guessing ATI is a perversion of some other file, thanks to my stupid Radeon software.
There's lots of other people out there using ATI video cards... Does anyone else have this situation?
Old March 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM   #90
Regular Crew

The ATI media software has taken over for windows media player as the default for these files. Right click on your "ati" file, and select "open with" and click "choose program". Make sure the "alway open this ........" box is checked. Double click on windows media player. The next time you explore files, windows will show the correct file format info......

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...