Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 12th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #196
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

look for a OHCI card using the texas instrument (Ti) chip set..
the ads pyro is a excellent card ... i believe the pyro basic is under $50 (street $35-49)
Old April 12th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #197
Regular Crew

The card is installed now (don´t know which brand, because it is a used one from a friend but it runs with the TI driver)... capturing works fine now, but what still bugs me is that when I close Vegas my system gets stuck. If I try to open an application it loads for a few moments but never opens... strangely in the task manager (only in processes) I can see the applications running.. I also cannot shut down the pc. Only resetting works.

I read that Vegas has some issues with PAL captures, this might be the reason... or do/did you NTSC guys have the same problems?

Cheers, Peter

PS: It´s Win2000pro patched up to date and directx9
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #198
Sponsor: JET DV

Peter, you want the TI chipset with the MICROSOFT driver.
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:25 AM   #199
Regular Crew

Aaaah, now I got you Edward! TI Hardware and MS software...
Old April 15th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #200
Regular Crew

"Blue screen" in Veags 4.0?

Is there any way to "take away" part of the picture that I have shot, using a "blue screen", and then take away the blue colour and have the remaining footage imposed on other footage, e.g like they perhaps do in "big budget movies"?
Or is it possible if I would like to take away, for example, a clear blue sky and replace it with a night sky from another clip?
I know it is possible if you work with pictures and different layers, but is it possible with footage in an easy, "low-budget" way?
Old April 15th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #201
Regular Crew

Take a look at the "Chroma Key" plugin. It does exactly what you want it to. Alternately, if you just want to change the color of one element in a scene (like change a shirt's color), try the secondary color corrector.
Old April 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM   #202
Major Player

If you are using Vegas 4, the second colour corrector will let you change one colour into another (make a blue shirt red).
If your originals are steady you can create masks in an image manipulation program and then replace what's under the mask with whatever you like.
You can use the cookie cutter to create masks (adjust the feather to make soft edges). Use this to darken or colour parts of the image. This is not as accurate as a mask, so it depends on what you want to do and how your originals look.
A genius called Satish has developed a plug-in for Vegas that allows Vegas to use (free) VirtualDub filters.
Boris Red is about to become available as a plug-in to Vegas. I don't know what it does, but it costs about three times the price of Vegas, so it should do something.
Old April 16th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #203
Regular Crew

Thank you both for your answers.

But isn't there anyway I can take away or make one part of the picture that has one colour transparent? Let's say I have footage consisting of but a few things in one scene, shot when using a tripod, for example: ground, a person, sky, and a tree. It would be really cool to, for example, take away the tree and replace it with let's say a christmas tree from another footage. For that to be possible I would have to make the tree in the original (first) footage transparent and then take the footage with the christmas tree as video2 and make the size appropriate to fit the original footage. As an idea, I think that would be a cool effect when doing movies on an amateur level.
That effect would be possible if you could lower the tranparency of only part of a clip: by first marking the area that you want to change and then lower the transparency for JUST THAT AREA to 0. But that isn't possible or?
But thanks Brian and Tor. I will try what you suggested.
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #204
Regular Crew

Well, chroma key will remove a common color or part of the spectrum and render that area transparent, but I mean that in the literal layer sense, so you can see to the video track below it in the Vegas timeline.

You now sound like you actually want to remove an item from a scene, like taking a person or tree out of the scene and still rendering what would be behind it. That's a much more complicated effect, usually accomplished by Rotoscoping in a tool like After Effects or Commotion. Search on this and other forums for "Rotoscoping" and see if that's more like what you're after.
Old April 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #205
Regular Crew

avid dv codec in vegas, how?

i am trying to import a video file exported in premier with avid dv codec but vegas doesn´t recognizes. Also i have problems on the settings of the codec. For PAL what do i use? 420 or 411. 601 or RGB?

Plase help!
Old April 18th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #206
Regular Crew

Vegas users

Howdy Vegas Users .... I am looking for someone in Florida that might want to tutor me on Vegas 4.

With and experienced editor, I figure and hour or two will save me about 10 hours on the front end.

The pay is good so give me a reply and lets work something out.

Ok back to this manual.

Mark
Old April 19th, 2003, 01:58 AM   #207
Old Boot

Vegas Satish's Morphing Plug-In

This sounds like a morphing tool - that might get you what you want.

From what I understand you wish to a have a an item change into something else - this is called "morphing". Vegas has the ability to use "some" third party plugins. A real wizzard at doing this stuff is our friend over there on the Vegas fourm called Satish - yeah?

Do a search on the Vegas site for "morphing" "satish".

Hope this helps

Grazie
Old April 19th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #208

You may also want to read my newsletters. You can find them at http://www.jetdv.com/tts/

Although not listed yet, issue #4 is available at http://www.jetdv.com/tts/TTS01-04.pdf
Old April 21st, 2003, 08:18 AM   #209
Major Player

Edward, that second link isn't live.
Old April 21st, 2003, 03:14 PM   #210

My web host has been having some problems over the past couple of weeks after upgrading software. If the link goes down, keep trying - it WILL come back. For example, it is working now.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...