Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2003, 10:00 PM   #151
Wrangler

My Device Manager lists under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers that I have a "VIA OHCI COmpliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller"

I deleted it and let Windows re-detect it and it came back as the same thing.
Should I force it to use the Microsoft driver, and if so, how?

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:22 PM   #152
Regular Crew

this really sounds like an issue with vegas.

check the settings in vegas3....you could always uninstall.reinstall vegas...if you can capture in micro$oft's movie maker it seems the issue lies strictly within vegas.

when you have the cam connected you should see it liseted under my computer in explorer...shows in mine in XP.

mes with vegas, may have to see what choices it has, but it sounds like XP recognizes the cam. i wouldnt force the driver on the card itself. inf files are only written for the device they are meant to function with. you could try manually changing the driver and see if it lists any others under.

check out: http://forums.viaarena.com

if you goto options/preferences in the capture you could choose "default all" on all the different panels...reset it.

Hey if it was werking three days ago, why not use tyhe system restore function...it will not erase and data files, only modify system changes.

Old March 31st, 2003, 10:37 PM   #153
Rextilleon

Dylan---why dont you ask over at the
Sonic Foundry Vegas forum----some of the techs hang out in there an could probably answer your question---This is the first I have heard of anyone having a problem like that.
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM   #154
New Boot

Text over clip in Vegas Video

Here's what I'm looking for.

I have my first clip play and it's 20 seconds. About 5 seconds into the clip, I want to place some "Generated Media" Text over top of the clip . So you can see the clip , and the text too. How do I go about doing this ?

Thanks in advance.

Jer
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:55 PM   #155
Sponsor: JET DV

I think you will find the problem is related to "VIA". See if they have any updated drivers.
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:59 PM   #156
Sponsor: JET DV

Add another video track above your current track. Drag any video preset into the new video track. The ones with the "checkerboard" background are transparent so the video below will show through.

Also, go to www.jetdv.com/tts and check out the newsletters - and the index reference which will give you a sneak preview of the contents of the next issue (i.e. Beginners Corner).
Old April 1st, 2003, 04:02 PM   #157
Major Player

Go to "Media Generator", click on "text", then choose text with a transparent background (the background shows up as a gray checkerboard.) Drag your choice of text style to a video track above the clip you want to overlay. A text editing box will open. Type in the text you want. That's about it.
Old April 1st, 2003, 04:15 PM   #158
New Boot

Thanks!

I was putting the text track under the video track. :(

Thanks..

Jer
Old April 1st, 2003, 04:36 PM   #159
Major Player

well you can buy a $100 sound card that will allow you to work with the 5.1 within your computer. From there I assume that you can then have 3 sets of computer speakers or just those really nice kiplic (sp) sourround speakers that are the only THX certified computer speakers on the market.
Those speakers cost $300, so I think you might be spending just about the same for buying one of those full home theater systems that are prepackaged.

I dont have the sound card yet or the speakers. Alittle expensive, but I was still playing with the interface in vegas. It is the way I would like to see every interface work.

Rob:D
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:21 AM   #160
Wrangler

I'll check for drivers, but I don't see why it would stop working all of a suddent. It's been working fine for months and nothing has been changed on my editing system.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:01 AM   #161

I'm using the 5.1 surround capability quite extensively. It's a really great feature that will be coming into it's own, more as software becomes available to playback 5.1 surround. There still seems to be a few glitches, as with any new technology, in the 5.1 surround players. I've had the best luck with Zoomplayer and a few add on ac3 filters. Once this is fixed up, it sounds absolutely terrific.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM   #162
Wrangler

Trey wins the "closest horseshoe" prize.
I messed with it, fixed nothing, then uninstalled/reinstalled it and it worked fine.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:10 AM   #163
Regular Crew

Thanks! It was only an inch from the pole! its good that you posted some kind of resolution though, its a pain when you have an issue and you cant find something to help. hopefully if someone runs into a similar prob they will see this thread and it will somehow help them!

did you simply reinstall vegas or drivers?

Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:46 PM   #164
Major Player

Vegas Users

I am addressing this to Vegas users, however, I know that it will apply to other NLE's.

I have made a few photo montage projects, they turned out well, but, I am maybe realizing that I have been doing something fundamentaly wrong. First I set a background, then I import my photos, and have, for the most part, simply left them at whatever size they import at. This usually means the the pictures pretty much fill the screen, with very little background showing. I do use some movement, zoom etc. . .

When you all import your photos, what percent of the viewing screen do you usually fill?
Old April 3rd, 2003, 09:25 PM   #165
Inner Circle

Harry,
man you're like me. Showing up all over the place, I guess we all go to the various forums to find out what we don't know :)
Anyway, it depends on the subject, how good the original is, the music, the feel I'm trying to get from that particular picture in the montage. Generally I try to stay between about 60% and 85% of the screen size, leaving some of the background showing as a frame. I've been know to go down to about 25-30% and up to 100% if it fits the mood I'm trying to get. All a personal choice I guess.
Well, I'll see you 'over there'
have fun,
Don B.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...