Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 21st, 2003, 03:42 PM   #211
Major Player

Highly recommend Ed's site for any questions you may have.
Old April 21st, 2003, 11:03 PM   #212
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

need a little more info.

you rendered in premiere using avid codec. now you take that rendered clip and Vegas will not play/open it .. will windows media player play it ?

do i assume that you have premiere and avid installed on your computer that you have Vegas installed ?

or was the premiere/avid rendered on a different computer?
if this is the case you would need to install avid codec on the computer that you have Vegas installed ...
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:48 AM   #213
Warden

You can download the Avid Codec from Avid Support.Not every program supports Avid Codecs. QuickTime does, as well as Adobe After Effects. I would be very surprised if Vegas did. Basically, if you want to use Avid Codecs, you need to use their NLE's.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:42 AM   #214
Sponsor: JET DV

Sorry about the incorrect link up above. The correct link to issue #4 is http://www.jetdv.com/tts/archive/TTS01-04.pdf
Old April 22nd, 2003, 12:01 PM   #215
Regular Crew

no, I don't want to keep what is behind the object. I want to delete, or make an area transparent (which would lead to almost the same effect). I want to "erase" a certain part of the picture. Imagine a picture with a blue screen and one person infront of it: I want to "erase" the bluescreen (or lower the opacity of that area to 0) but keep the person as normal (100 % opacity, for example..).
But I don't mean that I just want to be able to erase the colour "blue"; I want to be able to take away, erase, whatever it might be in the picture that I don't want to keep. After having done that I would add a second videotrack with, for example, an environmental shot, and the result would be the person in a new surrounding. Is that what what chroma key does. I tried it, but only shortly, and it didn't seem to be exactly what I wanted.

What I want is to be able to mark an area of my footage, lower the opacity for only that area, and after that use some other footage as background. I want to erase part of the picture. Like when they produce proffesional pictures. Is that possible with Vegas (or any other similar program)?
Old April 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM   #216
Inner Circle

Sounds like you want to create a matte or "travelling matte" in photoshop that is the same shape as the object you want to erase.

Use this matte as a video layer.

Good luck
Old April 22nd, 2003, 12:52 PM   #217
Old Boot

"Is that what what chroma key does . . . " That is exactly what C-K does. For this to work you would have needed to "film" the "subject" against a pefect solid blue or green background like Superman flying through the air, that was a typical example of C-K, then Christopher Reeves was next seen flying over America. For this you need perfect lighting on the blue or green screen - yes? That's how you get Blue-Screen C-K.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM   #218
Regular Crew

Vertical Text in Vegas 4

You can do quite a bit with text in Vegas 4, but how the hell do you do :

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L

Text?

I'm sure it's simple as hell, but I just can't figure it out? Anyone?

Michael Botkin
Vegas 4 and Premiere 6.5 User
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:10 PM   #219
Regular Crew

Editing Constant 60Hz Hum in Vegas 4

Anyone had any experience removing that annoying 60hz hum (Fluorescent lamps) or any constant sound for that matter from a single channel dialogue track captured with a Sennheiser ME66/K6 on a GL2? The dialogue would be so much cleaner without it. I've tried messing with the noise gate, but I'm definately not a "sound" editor. I try to stick with the picture, but since Veags's audio tools seem to be great, I'd like to learn. Thanks,

Michael Botkin
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:24 PM   #220

Try using the 60hz notch setting on the Track EQ. Another option that would work well is the Noise Reduction plugin (but it is expensive)
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:26 PM   #221

Just like you did here? Or are you wanting to rotate the text? If you want to rotate the text, just use Pan/Crop or Track Motion. Either will work fine.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:28 PM   #222
Regular Crew

The noise gate just clamps down on noise after your track drops to a certain volume level, for things like reducing noise between breaths. Usually it's not worth using though, as the quiet gaps result in a less natural sound than spaces with some background fill.

For removing the hum, you want the Track EQ, with a hard notch at 60Hz. Apply the Track EQ to your audio track, active only one of the 4 filters, set it to 60 Hz with a narrow range, and crank down on the db. You should get a notable reduction in the hum, in realtime as you play with the effect. If the hum doesn't go away, try sliding up and down the spectrum until you find where the hum really is, and apply the EQ there.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:33 PM   #223
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

load in the paragraphic FX

you'll see 4 sliders ( 100, 256, 1000 , 5000 grayed out)
move the vertical slider on the 100 down to bottom ( the 100 will now have white BG) ... then below is a horizontal slider (center frequency) ..create play back loop 10-20 sec of hum and dialogue) now move that horizontal slider to right very slow and listen very carefully till you hear humm get softer/dissapears .. when you hear it quieter then use the OCT slider ( horizontal slider above the 100 window) to either make it narrower or wider depending on how much hum you want to get rid of VS. how much voice it affects = you'll have to compromise ..

then do the same with the 256 slider as there might be 2 different frequency's to adjust to get rid of hummm
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM   #224
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll give these methods a try when I get home late tonight and let you know.

Michael Botkin
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:23 PM   #225
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'm trying to get text vertical like I showed

V E
R T
I C
A L

anyway to do this?

Michael Botkin
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...