Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 10th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #361
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"When shooting the XL1s in "frame" mode, does the editing software read it as interlaced or progressive scan? "

it doesn't matter to a NLE if it's frame mode or interlace because what it see's is 60i from either .. 30fps frame mode/30fps progressive is laid to tape as 60i ... frame mode/progressive =each frame is 2 fields = same as interlace video .. rendering out a progressive clip as a interlace project does not change the clip to interlace as the 2 fields will always be a perfect match .. however rendering out out FX's titles, pans etc will look differrent if you render out as progressive or interlace ... rendering out rolling titles as interlace will be much smoother then if you render out titles as progressive ... so you can have a progressive clip with interlace titles ....

Vegas will pick up frame mode clips as being Progressive.
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #362
Sponsor: JET DV

Probably related to hardware in some way. I generally turn the computer speakers OFF when capturing and leave my external monitor turned on. As long as it is not in the actual capture, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #363
Major Player

Hello,

HHHmmm, well it kind of does matter,, When capturing video with dialogue, Its really handy to be able to hear what people are actually saying..

Mike
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #364

It really matters when editing. Why does it matter when capturing?
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #365
High School Student

I personally like to review my footage while capturing, along with the audio, to get a rough idea of what I have thats good, and what needs to go, and all that. Maybe he does too.
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #366

As I said, that's why I monitor on the TV when needed.

In my case, it stutters while setting up the sections I want to capture. Once I actually hit the capture button, the audio plays fine. The capture program is a strange animal that seems to work differently for everyone.
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #367
Major Player

Hello,

Edward said..

"It really matters when editing. Why does it matter when capturing?"

If it is a talking head type video, and you are only capturing small parts of a long speech, then it defintely matters where you are capturing.. In some cases it is really important to be able to hear what is being said for capturing..

And I am using a monitor, that is giving me garbled sound..

Mike
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #368

Yes, I meant an external monitor connected directly to the deck. And I usually just capture the whole tape and cut out the sections I don't need, o a render of the new version, and then delete the original source footage.
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #369
Major Player

www.borisfx.com

I guess Boris Red GL will cost around $1500 US dollars.

Yikes! :o

Ted
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #370
Regular Crew

Along similar lines are there any plug ins for creating titles in Vegas 4. The titler seems a little limited, or perhaps I haven't unlocked its true potential.
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #371
Inner Circle

Mike, does your mobo have a VIA chipset? Many had severe throughput and timing problems with the PCI bus. I'll probably never buy a mobo with a VIA chipset again if I can help it.
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #372
Major Player

The titler in Vegas is pretty "weak" compared to what? I think it is adequate, personally. But I usually do all my titles as compositions in PS and import and superimpose. But I think that the Vegas titler is far superior to Title Decko, and IMO, the pro version as well. Premiere does have the cool lower thirds stuff, but I think that the Vegas titles are just as good, if not a notch hoopty-er than the Premiere's.
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #373
Major Player

Hello,

No via chipset.. i have Asus P4t533-c motherboard.. 2.4 gig P4 with one gig ram on 533 mhz bus.. system pretty much rocks !!!

Mike
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #374
Regular Crew

Garrett,

PS is photoshop, right? I just got Phototshop Elements 2. Do you know of any tutorials on how to amke titles in this for import into Vegas or sites to check out?
Old June 11th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #375
Major Player

Argh, Dan...My understanding is that Elements is a cut up version of PS. I know one of the things things that Adobe cut out was layering (bad Adobe...) so that would not be useful for you, but Vegas will take most graphics formats. I'm guessing that if you are able to save it as a TIFF or JPEG you will be able to use it in Vegas, albeit no layers...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...