Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 114 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 11th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #1696
Tourist

Problems capturing video w/ Panasonic PV-GS50

Greetings,

I just recently acquired a Panasonic PV-GS50 and a copy of Vegas 4.0. I am using a standard Firewire cable and card.

My basic issue is this: I am trying to capture some taped footage I've already made. Vegas keeps asking me to be in Web Camera mode, but when I do this, all it does is set up a live capture.

If I switch to VCR mode and start manual playback of the tape, Vegas says it can't connect to the device or that the device needs to be in Web Camera mode. Unfortunately, Web Camera Mode doesn't allow me to playback any of the tape I've already made.

It seems like a catch-22 of sorts. Should I be using a video capture card? I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that all I needed was a firewire cable.

Any help you could render would be most appreciated.
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #1697
Regular Crew

One issue I had incorporating some 16:9 animation into my timeline was that even tho the animation software rendered assuming a 16:9, 1.2121 pixel aspect ratio, I had to manually set the clip properties on the timeline to that ratio, because when I brought it in, it was set to square (1.0).

I think I also had to set the "disable resample" option for the animation clips, otherwise i would see some wierd smearing effects.
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #1698
Regular Crew

Help! Restoring the Vegas Desktop

Somehow I have buggered Vegas so I can't view the media pool or any other of the tabbed thingies (tech word).

I know there is a command on startup to restore the default Vegas desktop, but darned if I can find it!

Thanks!
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #1699
Major Player

Open Vegas,
Go to the View menu
click on each toolbar you want to open,
they will open in the docked position at the bottom.
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #1700
Regular Crew

If you hold down Ctrl and Shift when starting up Vegas it will resotred the Defaults. Note: it restores ALL the defaults, not just windows. If only the windows are messed up, you might just use View -> desired window to show the ones you are missing.
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #1701
Regular Crew

problem printing to tape

I'm suddenly having a problem printing to tape. Running WinXP with Vegas 3.0c, nothing is sent to my GL2 when I print to tape from Vegas. I verified I can capture from the camera fine over firewire. Even when I print to tape, Vegas will start my camera and look like it's printing to tape. But nothing appears on my GL2 screen, and playing back what should have been the video is nothing but a black screen.

I've reinstalled my firewire card, but still the same. Windoze detects my camera when I plug it into the firewire port, so obviously it's communicating. I reinstalled Vegas also, but that didn't work. Even tried Movie Maker to see if that would work, but still all I get is a black screen.

Any other ideas? This is maddening....
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #1702
Regular Crew

Thanks!

I used the CTRL-SHIFT to restore and then did it again.

When I did View I could see them flying down to the bottom of the screen. Apparently they were hiding behind the Windows Start Bar.

Is this a 4.0e quirk or has it always been this way?
Old December 12th, 2003, 05:02 AM   #1703
RED Code Chef

If MovieMaker isn't working either then the problem is probably
not with Vegas. What firewire card are you using?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 12th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #1704
Sponsor: JET DV

What's changed on your system since it last worked? What have you installed?

There are several things to "try" but no guarantees any would work. For example:

Reinstall Vegas.
Reinstall DirectX.
Try another program such a Scenalyzer or the Vegas Capture.

One solution I'm sure WOULD work, reinstall XP and your Apps.
Old December 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #1705

I've not seen that on ANY of the releases. BTW, that didn't change in 4.0e.

It sounds like they have been dragged loose of the "snapping" area. Can you drag them back to the snapping area?

Also, are you saying the screen did not reset? Or that it reset and then immediately went back to what you are describing? And you held the keys down through the entire startup of Vegas?
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #1706
Regular Crew

I was afraid of the responses I'd get...I did try reinstalling Vegas, but not DirectX, so I'll try that. Reloading WinXP will be my last resort. Don't recall reinstalling anything, but I've haven't had to print to tape for over a month, so there's no telling. My firewire card is a Pinnacle, I believe. I also have an AIW Radeon 8500DV, and that firewire port does the same thing. Just thought it was weird since the computer will control the camera and communicate with it....it just won't spit any video from the pc to the camera. Vice-versa works fine. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get this resolved soon. I have a project due in one week!
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #1707

As a test, have you tried a different firewire cable?

Also, a standard OHCI compliant card would be better (using the built-in Microsoft drivers!)
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #1708
Regular Crew

I'll try a different cable, that's worth a shot. It is a standard OHCI compliant card. There's the one built into the ATI video card, then I have an additional firewire card installed as well. Both give the same results. Silly computers....
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #1709
Regular Crew

Well this is a bummer, and I hope it's not a problem with my new GL2. I tried from a different computer and different cable to print to tape to my GL2. Same thing, only get a black screen even though Vegas starts and stops my camera correctly. Then I tried the same thing but to an XL1s and it worked fine, print to tape worked correctly.

So does this sound like a problem with my GL2? Is there some setting I'm missing? I don't really think so, but I'm hoping. This is bumming me out.
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1710
Regular Crew

Just noticed, aren't we supposed to see a DV IN indication on the screen when we have a firewire cable connected to the camera? This might be more appropriate in the GL2 forum, but when I have the cable connected and the GL2 set to VCR, the screen shows TV Screen and AV->DV. It does not show DV IN.

Edit....I'm a moron....all it was a silly setting in the menu screen. I had AV->DV turned on, which uses the analog inputs. Just did a test on printing to tape, and it worked fine on my GL2. Geez, I feel like a total tool...Thanks guys.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...