Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 107 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #1591
New Boot

Insert a velocity envelope on the clip, and pull it down into the negative numbers. :)

Hope this helps!
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #1592
Slash Rules!

I know that part, the part I have trouble with is getting the right piece of footage to be reversed when it's all said and done. . .the beginning and end of the reversed clip are never where they're supposed to be.
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #1593
Major Player

Hi Josh,

I have done this recently, and encountered a similar problem.. If you trim a piece of video in the trimming window, and then place it on the timeline, apply your reverse velocity envelope it will not display just the trimmed video in reverse... The way I got around it, was clear the timeline, load the piece of video, trim it up, then render out that piece of video that you wiah to reverse as a new clip.. then go back to your project, load in the newly rendered clip that is exactly the right lenght, and apply your revers velocity envelope..

Mike m.
Old November 25th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #1594
Slash Rules!

That makes sense. . .
Old November 25th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #1595
Regular Crew

The easiest way to do this is to figure out where you want the reversed clip to start. (The end of the clip before you reverse it.) Now split the event there. Now set the velocity envelope to a negative number. This will start at your split point and go backwards. Then split the event (or drag the right edge) until you get to the out point you want.
Old November 25th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #1596
Slash Rules!

You have to split it? It's not the same as just trimming it down?
Old November 25th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #1597
Regular Crew

I never use the trimmer. I haven't found something I can't do quicker by just zooming in quick with the wheel mouse. Any way you do it (splitting, dragging and edge, trimmer), you need an event that starts right at the end of what you want to reverse.
Old November 25th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #1598
Regular Crew

You can definitely start out with Screenblast. You might want to check what the upgrade price is to Vegas and see what the extra cost will be to start low and upgrade later. A friend of mine received a competing product discount of $100 when upgrading to Vegas from Premiere. This was just before the software changed to Sony ownership, so I don't know the staus of this. I alos don't know if your software will qualify for that.

Screenblast will do all that many people need. I can't speak as a entry level video editor, but every time I'm in Vegas, I do use at least one of the features that are only available in Vegas.
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #1599
Regular Crew

Yes, as Joe says, you have to "think backwards"

- here's another method - first find the point where you want to FINISH, place a temporary marker there, then go ahead to where you want the reverse to START and place another marker.

Split or drag ends to make your event fit between the markers and apply the minus velocity envelope.
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #1600
Sponsor: JET DV

Screenblast is the "little brother" to Vegas. Consider it a "Vegas lite".

Vegas is much more powerful than Screenblast although Screenblast DOES have a couple of features NOT in Vegas (such as swf output)
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #1601
Sponsor: JET DV

If you do a search I did a full explanation of this.

Play the clip until you get to the end (what you now want at the beginning) of the clip.

Stop and press "S" (or trim to that point - really doesn't make a difference)

Apply the velocity envelope to the clip on the RIGHT side of the cursor and delete the clip on the left side of the cursor.

Set the proper velocity.

Change the length and position of the reversed clip as needed.
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #1602
Regular Crew

Velocity envelope question

Currently in Vegas when I apply a velocity envelope to an event I am not getting the green line down the center of the event I usually do. I assume, like most of my Vegas problems, there is a simple solution, something I have inadvertently clicked. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1603
Regular Crew

Check under View > Video Envelopes > Event Velocity
Old November 26th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #1604
Major Player

I just don't like how all of the Envelopes can overlap one another. when you first insert them I often have a Fade to Color envelope on a track, then want to add a velocity envelope only to have it appear behind the Fade, and I have to turn off Fade to get to adjust the Velocity, then turn it back on, etc... A bit time consuming when you get creative with envelopes.

It'd be nice to have a small vertical indent caption thingy, one for each type of envelope that you can mouse click on to select the envelope you want to use if they are tight together.
Old November 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #1605
Regular Crew

You can do a couple things. One is to drag the track taller, giving you a wider area to see the envelopes in. Also, once you click on a "free" node, the nodes for that envelope come to the front. I do this all the time with volume and pan envelopes.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...