Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 106 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 24th, 2003, 02:52 AM   #1576
Major Player

Thanks, got that working.
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen L. Minor : I'll tell you where to look around...

hkey local machine>software>sonic foundry>vegas

you need to add the m2t extension to the mpeg definitions.

If your familiar w/ regedit thats enough to do it. If your still lost leave it alone. -->>>
Old November 24th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #1577
Regular Crew

I've been using Vegas for about 9 months now -- love it. Two of my best investments have been Gary Kleiner's quick start to Vegas DVDs (www.vegastrainingandtools.com), and Vegas 4 Editing Workshop by Douglas Spotted Eagle (available on Amazon). Both are excellent resources to understand the basics and the subtle nuances of a world-class NLE.

James
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #1578
Trustee

Remove A Color

If I had a still of a red rose, and it were the only red in the picture,
how could I change the red to white? A while back I removed all but one color using masking, copied events, parent/child, black and white. Don't remember the exact details. Any help with changing one color to another would be appreciated.
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #1579
RED Code Chef

Use the secondary color corrector. Use the mask and select a
piece of the red color. You can then use the upper part of the
dialog to shift the color to another color. You might need to work
on the mask to get it smooth.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #1580
Trustee

Thanks Rob, that did the trick. I actually needed white so I didn't even use the color wheel. I just put saturation to minimum and gain to max to get white.
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #1581
RED Code Chef

Well I am one of the closest, but I gotta decorate my house,
sorry. Now if you could come to Amsterdam...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 24th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #1582
Trustee

How do I darken a small area in Vegas?

Hi all. I'm trying to darken down a face in Vegas but I want to keep the rest of the area light. I've tried playing with the composition stuff but I don't think I understand it properly cause I couldn't get it to work. I would have thought I could make a small circle, either on a separate image or using the mask generator and made that do some sort of "Darken" composition mode and voila. I'm not expecting perfect, and the face isn's a close up at all, it's almost a full shot but I can't get anything happening at all.

Anyone done this before and can tell me what I need to do?

Cheers
Aaron
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #1583
Regular Crew

Although I don't use Vegas, this could help you out. I use Premiere.

Some time ago I had a situation where a still scene had a bright corner. What I did was export the frame in question and imported it into photoshop. I then created a new layer on top of the captured image and applied a gradient over the corner, it was from black to transparent with the opacity of the layer tweaked so it was perfect.

After that I deleted the layer that had the captured image from the file and only saved the gradient. I then imported the still gradient image and applied it to one of the top video track with a certain transfer mode (I cannot remember which one it was) and stretched the image over the whole scene and bingo it worked like a charm.

Now if your face in question is moving around the frame, you might have to do each frame separately :(

That's the best way without using After Effects, I'm sure they have a better and more effective way of doing because it is using key frames for this type of compositions.

Regards,
Jack
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #1584
Regular Crew

Oh by the way, in your situation you wouldn't use a gradient like I did, you would have to create a darkish circle with a blur applied to it so that the rest of the image would not be affected.

Jack
Old November 25th, 2003, 01:37 AM   #1585
Major Player

To get plastered in Amsterdam - now that's a thought.
Anyway - GB: 3 more days.
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:13 AM   #1586
Old Boot

Communications Torsie?!?!

Yo Torsie! - Email me and we can swap mobile numbers - At least I can give you mine - yeah? Don't wanna miss youat the NFT - HAHA!

Grazie
Old November 25th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #1587
Inner Circle

superfaast cuts

any superfast way to do it??

okies, heres what im envisioning,

harcore techno, big v8s, thrashing it out smoking up the street....

1 measure break in the music (4 beats) within these beats, i want the video to flick throu a zillion images.
now i can do tihs by changing the default still playback time to 1 second (i cant work out how to get it to 1 FRAME) then import some stills, but im loathe to manually do this, as were looking about 75 images (minimum) which need to be captured, then reimported.

anyone know of a simpler way?
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #1588
Regular Crew

If you want them to actually blast through at 1 frame per still image, just number the images sequentially and open as a still image sequence. Although 75 images really isn't much in this setup, unless you are looking through them, as they would be used up in under 3 seconds.
Old November 25th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #1589
Slash Rules!

Ya gotta help me---reversing footage

Okay, I've done it before, more than once, but I cannot seem to get it to work as of late. What am I talking about? Reversing the footage, making it go "backwards" instead of forwards, in time, that is.

Can someone give me the step by step instructions? I thought I knew how to do it, but apparently I don't.
Old November 25th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #1590
Regular Crew

Vegas vs Screenblast Movie Studio

I have seen the comparison between Vegas and Screenblast on the Sony site (http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/showproduct.asp?PID=856&FeatureID=7369&FeatureTL=7231).

My question is simple, though. What does Vegas have that Screenblast doesn't? From looking at the chart, Vegas allows for more video tracks and there are several features that Vegas has that Screenblast doesn't. However, I don't know exactly what those features are (such as video envelopes, video track motion control, and audio/video scrub).

I currently use Pinnacle Studio, but it has never worked properly. I'll be building a new computer soon and I want to know if Screenblast is "good enough" or if I should go with Vegas.

I am not a professional videographer and don't have any current desire to become a professional. For now, I want to create DVDs of my home movies, but may want them to become more sophisticated as I gain more experience.

Any help would be appreciated.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...