Help Me Render!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon East
FRED,

We use sony lipstick cameras(540 lines, i am pretty sure) for onboard motorcycle racing. We have one mounted to the front of the bike and one on the rear. Each camera is connected to a mini-dv camera in the trunk of the bike.

We tried doing it wirelessly but the quality is no where near the same as going straight to the mini-dv camera.

Jon
US too, got some web media clips up at www.beerbellyracing.com if your interested
Fred Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Helm
WOW! im using Viosport HC3's. The MPEG4 stuff is real bad, almost video phone quality..How much is this new wireless helmet cam? My business is helmet cam/In Car cams.
i've been doing onboard camera for over 10 years now, here is some footage from a turbo'ed fwd drag racing honda that i shot, give it a minute to download: http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/import/import.html

that was recorded on solid-state mpeg2, no tape... the mpeg4 you are referring to is low bitrate garbage, not the pro-level stuff i am talking about.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
i've been doing onboard camera for over 10 years now, here is some footage from a turbo'ed fwd drag racing honda that i shot, give it a minute to download: http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/import/import.html

that was recorded on solid-state mpeg2, no tape... the mpeg4 you are referring to is low bitrate garbage, not the pro-level stuff i am talking about.
Pro Level Stuff? What kind of budget we talking..? i have $1000 into every set up we use (6). Im happy with it but im stuck at 60 minutes of footage due to the obvious
Fred Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM   #19
Trustee

Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Helm
Im having new PC built with ASUS dual engine and raid rack. My builder says maximum ram is not necessary and 2 gigs is more than enough even for HD. Is this true. I was unde the impression the more ram the better? (speed)

I have an alienware MJ12-7700 mobile desktop and with 2.5 GB of RAM I NEVER use even 1/2 of that while runnign Vegas. It doesn't matter how big the project is, Vegas simply cannot use that much ram. Either it isn't programed to expad to fit available memory, or the OS is not allowing it to use that much.

The only way I can use up all my system's RAM is to have two instances of Vegas opened and to have both rendering at the same time. Not that I am complaining much.... but I am disappointed that Vegas cannot seem to fill into the available space. I don't think it is a matter of Vegas not needing the space either. Try the Dynamic RAM preview feature which renders teh selected portion of the timeline directly into RAM. I can only pre-render a few seconds if there are several layers and color corrections and slow motion effects applied, but I still have over a1GB of RAM free.

You may be limited by your hard drive read / write bandwidth. Are your video files on the same physical hard disk as the directory to which you render? If so, then that drive has to pull double duty and read the data, then pause reading long enough to write the render. Consider storing the HD files on one drive (not just a partition, but a whole different hard drive) and rendering to a second drive.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
I have an alienware MJ12-7700 mobile desktop and with 2.5 GB of RAM I NEVER use even 1/2 of that while runnign Vegas. It doesn't matter how big the project is, Vegas simply cannot use that much ram. Either it isn't programed to expad to fit available memory, or the OS is not allowing it to use that much.

The only way I can use up all my system's RAM is to have two instances of Vegas opened and to have both rendering at the same time. Not that I am complaining much.... but I am disappointed that Vegas cannot seem to fill into the available space. I don't think it is a matter of Vegas not needing the space either. Try the Dynamic RAM preview feature which renders teh selected portion of the timeline directly into RAM. I can only pre-render a few seconds if there are several layers and color corrections and slow motion effects applied, but I still have over a1GB of RAM free.

You may be limited by your hard drive read / write bandwidth. Are your video files on the same physical hard disk as the directory to which you render? If so, then that drive has to pull double duty and read the data, then pause reading long enough to write the render. Consider storing the HD files on one drive (not just a partition, but a whole different hard drive) and rendering to a second drive.

jason
good info thanks man...the new comp will have hot swapable 400g twins. I plan to work on one and store on the other. I guess 2g ram is good. on a different note, I have ben really struggling with edge break up only after render. I shoot off road videos intended for DVDA. I render in Mpeg2 with custom bitrates high 8mpbs and low at 4 with 2 pass...I cant seem to fix the3 edges!!!!!!any ideas?
Fred Helm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...