How to render deinterlaced MPEG2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to render deinterlaced MPEG2

I have a project from an AVI in 50i (PAL), and i'd like to render it in deinterlaced MPEG2. I have the project properties set to Field Order=none, Deinterlace=blend, but the MPEG2 is always interlaced. The preview is fine, it is deinterlaced, but the render options for MEPG-2 do not allow "custom" settings, so I can only choose DVD PAL, which I guess is fixed to interlaced output. If I choose Video for Windows output, I can set Field Order=none and get a deinterlaced AVI output... but I need a MPEG output...

Can the MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder be set to deinterlace?
Thanks for any advice.
Chris Suzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

What version of Vegas are you using? Since you say "custom" is not available, I'm assuming it's Vegas Movie Studio. The full version of Vegas does allow going into the custom area and the field order can be changed to progressive.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, it is vegas studio platinum... I have not seen anywhere that it was limited by not being able to deinterlace into mpeg2.

I tried to render into avi, so I could deinterlace later with another program, but at 2GB it stops with an error, file size exceeds specification! I have an NTFS RAID0 400GB drive system. Can Vegas render an AVI larger than 2GB??

What is a workaround that could work for me? Chopping up the video into 10min sequences?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suzor
Can Vegas render an AVI larger than 2GB??
Yes it can. I have rendered 2 hour DV-AVI files at 26 Gig before. The size limit is the size of your hard drive (assuming NTFS formatting).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward...

What have I got myself into? Vegas Studio is so nice to edit video, much better than Pinnacle Studio (which uses Liquid engine now), and the progressive output is excellent if using a progressive input (I have a progressive camera, dvx100). But I sometimes shoot interlaced (for various reasons), and with this I can't use this software to generate anything but interlaced mpeg... I can't even get a full AVI back!

The comparison table http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...FeatureID=8357
shows that mpeg 1&2 import and encoding are supported in all products.

$350 for the upgrade is beyond my budget at the moment.
I guess I'll have to try to deinterlace the video BEFORE editing in Vegas Studio... using VirtualDub or similar.

Any better suggestions anyone?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Chris,

I hesitate to recommend this, but you might try downloading the Vegas trial and see if you can do the de-interlace using the trial. I know you can't use do the final MPEG2 render in the trial version of Vegas, so you'd have to open the deinterlaced AVI in your Studio product for the final render into MPEG2.

The only reason I hesitate to recommend this is that once you download the trial, that $350 you don't have will magically come from somewhere, because you'll just have to keep using Vegas. And when you do buy the upgrade, immediately start saving your pennies to buy a good training product for Vegas. As powerful as you think the program is when you're using it intitially, it is even that much more powerful after you learn what it can do from good training.

Best of luck. Don't tell your wife I just cost you $350. Tell her its an investment!
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Jubal 28

You can't render MPEGs from the Vegas trial. There's a license fee involved for MPEG which is too much for a free trial.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had that right. He can render from 50i to a de-interlaced avi in the trial thought right?

Then take the de-interlaced output back to his Studio product for the MPEG2 render. Or just make it his first render in his newly purchased copy of Vegas. ; )
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #9
Jubal 28

I don't know, actually; if there's no progressive timeline in Studio (25p in this case), and there's no custom option for rendering MPEG, then he might be stuck with 50i renders.

Otherwise, if there IS a 25p timeline, and the MPEG renders are tied to the project settings, then it might be possible. The AVI render from the Vegas trial would be a 25p file.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I am happy to report that I was able to produce clean 25p video with Vegas Studio. I rendered to DV AVI (where custom button is still active), selected the AVI 2.0 option (to get beyond the 2GB AVI 1.0 spec), to create a 13GB AVI file. Then I created a new project with this AVI, and rendered to MPEG-2 (where custom button is inactive), selecting the DVD PAL option (which doesn't specify progressive or interlaced), and created a 2GB MPG file, which is 25p.

Now I'll switch the camera back to progressive mode, and forget interlaced issues for a while. I had switched to interlaced to get faster autofocus and more light sensitivity, but these deinterlacing issues (and video which is not as clean as pure progressive) have turned me back. Besides, I switched to Vegas for the progressive capability in the 1st place!

Thanks for the help, and I'll upgrade to the full Vegas later.
Chris Suzor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...