Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2002, 02:59 AM   #196
Slash Rules!

Fancy hard to find Vegas Video feature

Isn't there a feature in Vegas Video 3 that allows you to delete all media except that which is used in your project? I saw it in a post (searched and couldn't find it) and I thought I came across it while editing, and now can't find it.
Old December 12th, 2002, 08:07 AM   #197

In MEDIA POOL, select the leftmost icon...it looks like a small broom...."Remove all unused media from project"
Old December 12th, 2002, 10:17 AM   #198
Sponsor: JET DV

The broom will remove all items from the media pool that are not used in the project. However, you can also remove all clips from the hard drive that are not used in the project. If you do a Save As to a new directory and also check the box that says, "Copy and trim media with project" it will save the project and only the portions of the clips used in the project. Then the master clips could be deleted (if no longer needed) and the project will be as small as it can possibly be.
Old December 12th, 2002, 12:27 PM   #199
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

another way to think about it when you transfer from camera to computer over 1394 -you are just moving DATA from tape to HD ... similar to when you move a file from one HD to another HD = it just copies the DATA
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:32 PM   #200
Slash Rules!

Ah, thank you so much.
Old December 14th, 2002, 09:17 PM   #201

Vegas Video Output

Okay. This one's going to really show how dumb I am.

What format would be best to output (save) to if I wanted to e-mail a file created in Vegas Video without losing a bunch of resolution?

Here's the problem: An assignment editor in Denver calls me and wants me to go shoot a story. I do it. Normally I'd drive the tape to Denver (3 hours through the mountians, if it's not snowing).

Since it's really rare to have a story run more than a minute or two I was thinking I could edit the footage down in V V 3 and send it to them over the Internet. But a two minute video with sound comes out at almost two gigs in file size. I have dial-up service. I could drive to Denver and back a couple of times before a file that size got there over the Net.

Any suggestons? Or is this impossible to fix with today's technology?

Old December 15th, 2002, 06:42 AM   #202
Major Player

Charles,

Do you have a server that you can upload a Quicktime (my choice for quality) file to? This would allow the station to download it. As you also stated, depending on the file size you could email it.

What file formats will the station accept?
Houston, Texas
Old December 15th, 2002, 08:32 AM   #203

VV output

Well, I have a server that hosts my Web page (http://www.centralcolorado.com/newcomb), but I wouldn't have a clue as to how I'd upload something to it. I'm computer stupid.

If I could get the file size down to a couple megs I could do it by e-mail. But I don't know if that's possible without hosing the quality/resolution, thus making it useless for ENG.

Old December 15th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #204

your best approach would be to save the file as a DVD compliant MPEG2. DVD compliance makes a pretty decent playback file. Then I suggest you get yourself an ftp address....these are available on the internet for free up to 12 meg, or something close to that. Once you upload your MPEG2 to the ftp site, the station can download it, at their speed and their convenience.
Old December 15th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #205

vv playback

Okay, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that and then make a 2 minute file to see if it stays under 12 meg.

This place is great.

Old December 15th, 2002, 09:25 AM   #206
Major Player

You might be a bit hard pressed to keep it under 12MB if you want to retain the resolution.

Who host's your web site (the server company)? They should have instructions on how to FTP files. It would be the same procedure as sending up HTML files.

There are programs out there that make FTP'ing easy. Listed below is the link to the program that I use:

http://www.bpftp.com/
Houston, Texas
Old December 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #207

Computer stupid

Thanks, Paul.

Are you still planning a tript to CO for the Holidays?

Old December 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #208
Major Player

Your welcome, I hope that it helped.

Yes we will be leaving for Denver on Thursday. Should be in Denver for about a week.
Houston, Texas
Old December 16th, 2002, 07:49 AM   #209
RED Code Chef

Why don't you get yourself a DVD burner, burn the DV file or
convert it MPEG2 if they can't and burn it on a DVD-data disk.
Then simply mail/FedEx em the disk. Much easier than any of
the other methods.

Most larger companies use big fast internet pipe and ftp servers
to move files across.

p.s. you could also try converting it to high quality mpeg2 and
burn that to a CD-R. You should be able to fit around 20 minutes
of high quality MPEG2 on it.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #210

FedEx/UPS

That'll work if it's a mini-feature or something like that, and I've done that. But for spot news/hard news there's a saying: "If it happened today it's news. If it happened yesterday it's history."

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...