Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 12:31 PM   #16
Slash Rules!

above

I'm also still running win 98. . .does it make a big difference. I don't know much about this stuff. Should I get win XP? I know 2000 and ME are supposed to be ass.
Old May 5th, 2002, 12:11 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

Smooth Vegas Video Playback

I was planning to buy an 80 gig firewire drive, and transfer the actual program files from Vegas Video, as well as the media from my project to it. Will this cause playback to be smooth? Do I need to have Vegas Video on the same drive as the media for it to run smoothly, or does it matter?
Old May 6th, 2002, 06:55 AM   #18

with all the NLE's I'm aware of, it's always recommended to have your video capture/playback drive different from the drive that the OS and application are on. This also applies to all the scratch files the app uses. Firewire drives work fine, unless you're trying to network over the firewire bus...not enough bandwidth, despite what they claim.
Old May 6th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #19
Slash Rules!

above.

Ok . . .media on one drive, VV on another, that the idea? Cool. Someone above told me that 384 MB RAM was plenty for VV and I didn't need any more,but on the box for the program, it says it uses DYNAMIC RAM previewing, which leads me to believe the more RAM you have, the smoother playback will be.
Old May 11th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #20
Slash Rules!

Letterbox in Vegas Video 3?

Is there a way to letterbox (make the video look 16:9) in Vegas Video 3? I've played with the crop tools and searched the help files, with no luck. Am I retarded or is it just not possible with this program?
Old May 12th, 2002, 02:52 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

Vegas Video 3 print to tape problem with audio

I printed something to tape from the timeline with Vegas Video 3 last night, and the audio came through pretty badly. The video looked fine, just like I had it on the timeline, but the audio was very stuttery, usually cutting out when the video dissolved. Any idea why?

Could it be brand of tape I printed to (Panasonic LinearPlus minidv)? Maybe the fact that my hard drive is about 99 percent full?
Old May 13th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #22
Sponsor: JET DV

Here is two ways depending on whether you want the entire clip to remain or chop off the top and bottom.

Click on the Event FX button for the clip. Add a "deform" effect. Change the Amount to -1, change the left squeeze to about -.35 and the right squeeze to about -.35. Adjust these numbers till you get the appropriate size. This will give the full frame squeezed down to size.

To simply make the top an bottom disappear under a black border, click on the Event Pan/Crop button for the clip and move the top and bottom edges in the appropriate distance. You may have to turn off the keep aspect ratio so you can move the edges individually.
Old May 13th, 2002, 11:03 AM   #23
Slash Rules!

You sure about that second method? Maybe I was cropping it wrong. I couldn't do anything but move the picture up and down. Am I grabbning the wrong handle or something?
Old May 13th, 2002, 03:19 PM   #24
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, I am sure about #2. I tested it once again and it works fine. Make sure the lock aspect ratio is turned off. I had size about center turned on. I grabbed the top middle handle and pulled it down. That also raised the bottom edge (to maintain center). This created a black border across the top and bottom.

The mask mentioned is just a picture that is superimposed over the video. I don't know which method would render faster.
Old May 13th, 2002, 07:39 PM   #25
Slash Rules!

You're right, good sir. You have to override the maintain aspect ratio option by holding "Ctrl" as you drag. Thanks for the tip. The manual to the software is next to useless.
Old May 15th, 2002, 03:57 AM   #26
Slash Rules!

Strange Vegas Video 3 audio issues with export to tape

Okay, this may be a bit lengthy. I shot a wedding recently, my first and probably only one, using an XL1s, and a Sennheiser ME66 for audio. I was able to pick up the music, though it was mostly over modulated. I edited a little package together in Vegas Video 3 using the audio from the wedding. It's fine pretty much all the way through, except at the end. At this point, the music has a lot of "gaps" in it---dead spots on the timeline where there's no information. I don't know if this is a capture problem or if it's messed up on the tape as well (my tape is screwed up, a whole other story, but I can't get back to that point on the tape to check the audio). At any rate, I cut and pasted audio to fill in the gaps, and it sounded a little better. When I exported to tape, however, the gaps were there, but longer. This happened when I printed to tape previously, when I had done no alterations to the sound. I have no idea why my changes didn't come out on the tape, when everything else I altered did. Any ideas?
Old May 15th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #27
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1) try again to play back the TAPE in the XL to see if the audio gaps are on the tape..

2) if tape had gaps .. then in the VV time line just render out the AUDIO of the section that you repaired .. after you have rendered out the audio place the new audio clip on a 2nd audio track right below the repaired section ( zoom into time line so you can sync up the audio waves visually ) just slide the new audio right/left to sync it ... then either delete the old audio section (audio 1)or use the volume rubberband to turn the audio OFF during that section..

now render out the whole clip or use the PRINT from timeline
Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:44 AM   #28
Slash Rules!

flop on Vegas Video

Can you do a flop in Vegas Video 3?
Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:39 AM   #29
RED Code Chef

What is a flop?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:11 AM   #30

***********DITTO***********
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...