HELP Media Mngr will not Install at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Major Player

HELP Media Mngr will not Install

Ok, my C: drive seems to have gone wacky, so I bought a new drive. Installed Windows, etc. on it. My Vegas is on another drive, but it won't work without re-installing, so I reinstalled on top of the old install on my F: drive. Then I got the following message:

"MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMNG service does not exixt or the current account does not have enough privalage to manage it."

I am the administrator and the only user on this computer. It did not ask for administrator password or anything, it just won't work. I even tried remove programs, and erased all traces of old install and reinstalled, but no luck.

Any one have any brillant ideas what happened? How to fix?

Thanks, it would be impossible without the excellent help on this forum
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Inside the Program Files\Sony Setup\Vegas 6.0 folder is a couple of folders:

msde
mediamgr

You could try manually running the setups inside those folders but it should have all been done automatically when you reinstalled Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Edward

Thanks, but after I tried twice, it was still that same!

"MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMNG service does not exixt or the current account does not have enough privalage to manage it."

Even after exiting Vegas, it still tried to install on its own, but always had the same result. When I first purchased and installed Vegas, it worked fine. I'm puzzled by this current account does not have enough privilage. It does not allow me to enter a password or anything, and I am the only one using the computer - I don't even have a password logon. When installing Windows-while still in the black DOS like screen, it suggested a default password that was quite long and strange - my name with about 10 digits of random numbers and letters, so I promptly replaced that with something I could remember. I'm having trouble getting any of our computers to network with my laptop - it keeps asking for a password, or says "you don't have approval for access." All of the other computers will talk to each other. Ofcourse, MS says run a networking disk, but it will only accept a floppy and my laptop only has CD or memory chip (SD).
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Reinstall Media Mngr - no good

I used the media manager install utility on the Vegas 6 disk to remove media mngr, then rebooted and tried reinstalling media mngr. Before the install completes I get the following two message - both in their own little box labled Microsoft SQL Server Engine: "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft SQL Server Desktop engine." This is then followed by "Setup failed to configure the server, refer to the server error log and setup error log for more information." Any idea what this means or how to fix? Where are these error logs, or how do I find them and will they tell me anything meanigful?
Thanks for your help - PK
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM   #5

My recommendation is that you call Sony tech support and let them help you with this.
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Just to let you know, I had the same exact problem. Somehow, I had someone who knows more about these kinds of things fix it for me, but I don't really know how he did it. But just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Killing prefs..

Try killing the Media Manager preferences in
C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USER]\Application Data\Sony\Media Manager
as in
C:\Documents and Settings\Magnus\Application Data\Sony\Media Manager

After I moved a media library offline Media Manager would not install or load - deleting the prefs files solved it...

/magnus
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Magnus

Thanks Magnus, I'll give that a try tonight
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Magnus, and everyone, but NOLUCK

I've tried removing the preference from application data/sony/media manager, and still no luck installing. It always fails on the Microsoft SQL installation: "Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs znd setup error logs for more information." I've tried this many times and one time I actually found these logs (can't remember where they are located right now). As I recall the info was nothing I could make heads or tails out of.

I always went to the Sony website a week ago, and left tech support a message, but they have not responded AT ALL :)

Do I need the media manager? Vegas seems to work without it, you can still look for things in explorer, and I assume still add them to your project without media manager (am I correct?). Will this affect video capture over the firewire?

Once again, I sure do appreciate veveryones kindness in helping out. I thought my computer savvy was above average, but I feel like a neofite with this thing:) Thanks - PK
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Inside the Program Files\Sony Setup\Vegas 6.0 folder is a couple of folders:

msde
mediamgr

You could try manually running the setups inside those folders but it should have all been done automatically when you reinstalled Vegas.

Thanks Edward, I've tried that too, and I still get the same "Setup failed to configure the server" message
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen
Do I need the media manager? Vegas seems to work without it, you can still look for things in explorer, and I assume still add them to your project without media manager (am I correct?). Will this affect video capture over the firewire?
Need? No. It is handy for keeping track of external media but is not required. In fact, in Options - Preferences toward the bottom is an option to turn OFF the Media Manager. You may wish to turn it off until you can get it successfully installed.
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #12
New Boot

Hi Paul,
I dont have Vegas, but look for a folder called MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMNG on your F: drive, move all files in this folder to another folder (in case you need to restore them) and then try installing. Sometimes uninstall programs dont remove all components.
Another option could be to take ownership of the folder (right click, properties, security, advanced, owner tab, select your login, click the replace owner on subcontainers and objects. click ok)
Good Luck
David Atek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...