Dragging, grabbing and trimming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Dragging, grabbing and trimming

I've been editing with vegas for years, but sometimes when I do things in life I get into a rut and continue to do them even though I know there has to be a better way. Such has been the case with editing.

When I cut I do everything on the timeline. I usually drag my raw footage all the way over the the right somewhere, leaving space at the beginning of the timeline for assembly. Then just cut out clips from the raw footage and drag them back to the beginning (left) to assemble. But sometimes my raw footage ends up way down on the timeline to the right and I'm dragging forever to get back to the beginning. It's such a waste of time. Is there a quicker way to get that footage back to the beginning?

Select events to end
This option only seems to work for one track of video, how do I get it to work with all of them?

Last but not least, I've never used the trimmer, can't figure out how to get the video out of it once it's in there.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The trimmer is helpful if you have a lot of video to slog through.
Right click clip then open in trimmer.
In the trimmer you set the in and out points with i and o. Then
drag to timeline with the mouse. I know there's a way to key it to the timeline
but this is how I do it. I hope this helps.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Major Player

I've had that same problem but I tend to group my footage and move the groups around to eliminate this. (Groups such as 'best B-roll,' 'second-best B-roll,' 'indoors stuff,' etc)

However, you can move everything back from way out in right field, by doing a ripple I believe. It may move it too close but you could always put it on a separate track to avoid this. One of the experts should pipe up here.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Old Boot

Just a tip: I just Scrub in Trimmer and Drag the section onto the T/L - DONE! I don't make In and Out points - just takes too long for me. If I wanna keep THAT SCRUB I make a SUB clip.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

How do you make the subclips? I never figured it out. Also, does the i and o really work? I thought Vegas didn't do that. They don't seem to "stick" if you mark them; they disappear as soon as you click anywhere else.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tesh
Select events to end
This option only seems to work for one track of video, how do I get it to work with all of them?
The easiest way to do this is via a script. A script can easily select "everything after the cursor", for example.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
How do you make the subclips? I never figured it out. Also, does the i and o really work? I thought Vegas didn't do that. They don't seem to "stick" if you mark them; they disappear as soon as you click anywhere else.
While U have the area SCRUBBED just right click and the POP up menu gives you the option to "Subclip" - DONE! VOILA!

G
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Okay, but then where do those subclips go? how do you access them again?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Old Boot

Quote:
No idea! My guess is that they are a version of a Region. But in all honesty I don't know. However, it works and has worked for me in my workflow ever since they came out - whenever that was?

And they are created in the Project Pool and accessed there too! They are quite consistently a "clip" in as much as when you drag them longer on the T/L they just repeat - that's a good thing.

G
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Graham is correct in that they are created and accessed from the media pool.

Another way to create them is to mark ('M' key) in and out points. Then double-click in the area between these markers and click the "Create Sublclip" icon which is at the top right of the Trimmer.

Keep in mind that a subclip is a "virtual" clip (i.e. you're only creating in/out pointers to the original clip) and it can't be saved and recalled in a different project. To do this, you'll have to render the clip out and give it a name that makes sense. BTW, this is something you should do when creating the subclip in the first place to keep you better organized. Otherwise it simply adds "- subclip 1" to the original filename.

Mike
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

Subclips can also be created directly on the timeline. Just split on both sides of the sections, right-click the section, and you can create a sub-clip.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

Okay. So they're just added to the media pool, then? That's what I meant. I tried to use that feature once and got confused.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...