Vegas w/ laptop - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Don't really think it's heat or it wouldn't capture to the other drive either. For some reason, something starts hitting the C drive so hard that it's on solid. I haven't yet figured out what it is.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Trustee

Performance tweaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Don't really think it's heat or it wouldn't capture to the other drive either. For some reason, something starts hitting the C drive so hard that it's on solid. I haven't yet figured out what it is.
If this is a windows system, try turning off the indexing service, which is pretty useless anyway (just organize your files logically and you won't need that service stealing CPU cycels). Also consider a defrag occasionally. Lots of video editing can trash a system (though not as bad as a year of surfing the web with a large cache enabled... all those little cookie files getting fragmented). I'm just throwing out random suggestions here because that is quite an odd problem.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Indexing is off. It has been defragged on occasion and, I think, I did it after it happened once and it happened again afterwards. I can live with it as I can capture to the D drive and then copy some of them to the C drive if needed. Curiosity really wants me to find the cause, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #19
Trustee

Curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Indexing is off. It has been defragged on occasion and, I think, I did it after it happened once and it happened again afterwards. I can live with it as I can capture to the D drive and then copy some of them to the C drive if needed. Curiosity really wants me to find the cause, though.
Same here, especially since this is the kind of problem I might encounter in my home computer consulting business (one way to make ends meet at least). It has me stumped. You have already tried the solutions I would have tried. Have you considered a witch doctor? Or may be the computer needs a bribe... some fancy new device to attach to it and make it feel all special. :-)

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...