inexpensive music for vegas projects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

inexpensive music for vegas projects

This may be a bit "off topic" but I'm looking for a website that can provide, inexpensive music for a pageant I videotaped...any ideas out there that are royalty free??
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #2

a royalty free music listing can be found at the link
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

sounddogs.com and shockwavesound.com are good, i've bought from them before and just as importantly, found their websites navigable.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would recommend you check out Sonicfire Pro. I found a review of it and thought it sounded perfect. I downloaded the free trial and it does everything they advertise it does and more. It's freakin' awesome and the standard package only costs $199. Mood mapping is one of those simple ideas that makes you go, well, of course. Why hasn't someone done this before? It's fundamental and imporant for those of us who don't want to spend thousands of dollars buying clips that have no flexibility. This program goes so far as to automatically scale the clip length to your video length when you bring your video into the program. How cool is that? Tremendously cool.

Here's a few review clips:

Mood Mapping adds a new dimension to an already-powerful music creation tool - Digital Producer
Quote:
A good piece of music can make or break a video production. But sometimes that's not enough. The music has to be perfectly synchronized with the video, becoming less complicated when there are voiceover sequences. Until SmartSound Sonicfire Pro ($199 Mac or PC, includes two music disks) came along a few years ago, to accomplish this kind of customization you would have needed to hire a composer at great expense. Not any more. And now with version 4, Sonicfire has added an even more human element to the mix which it calls Mood Mapping. It's remarkable.

Sonicfire Pro has improved significantly since I favorably reviewed version 3.1 three years ago. If you're not familiar with Sonicfire Pro, it's a music application that lets you fine-tune stock music so that it perfectly fits your production. All the music cuts -- and there are thousands available -- have been cleverly recorded with points where they can be easily merged with other points, letting you designate exactly how long the music should last. You can also in emphasize certain instruments at certain times, and bring the music to full volume at the exact point where you need it.

The most impressive new feature of Sonicfire Pro is Mood Mapping. This really opens up the capabilities of the software to a level far beyond what it could do in the previous version. You set a keyframe where you would like the mood of the music to change, and then select the mood from a drop-down list. You can choose full, background, dialogue, heavy, drum and bass, synth, no drums, or silence. By choosing one of these, what you can make the music more or less complicated in order to accommodate different emotions or situations with your video. It lets you mold the music to your own devices, changing it by feel, until it works perfectly with what you're doing. Even though the term "mood mapping" may sound frivolous, it's extremely practical and gives you great flexibility.
App gives you customizable soundtracks in a snap - Macworld

Quote:
Even if you don’t know a B-flat from a waffle iron, you probably know what kind of music you’re looking for—once you hear it. Sonicfire Pro works on this principle. You load a video track and then audition music tracks against it until you find something that fits.

As with the previous version (4 mice), Sonicfire Pro 4 helps you create a score to fit almost any length by stringing together segments of music blocks and then using its Smart Extend feature to end the track in a musically satisfying manner.

When I reviewed Sonicfire Pro 3, my main criticism was that the program did not allow for very much audio manipulation. The music was fixed—prearranged—you just picked how much you wanted to use. You couldn’t remove a guitar riff from the music if it bothered you, for example.

With Sonicfire Pro 4, SmartSound has opened up the music to tinkering, practically down to an instrument level on the program’s Multi-Layer music tracks. Once you have a Multi-Layer music sample in your timeline, you can expand the view to show up to eight levels of instrumentation, which you can independently control. If you want to remove the drums from a song, all you need to do is select the percussion track and mute it, or simply remove the percussion audio from the timeline.
Sonicfire Pro 4 will allow you to take customization to the next level - Ken Stone's Final Cut Pro

Quote:
The bottom line is that Sonicfire Pro 4 really does offer an unprecedented control over the feel, mix and creative input with purchased copyright free music. Sonicfire Pro 4 is one of the more user friendly applications I have ever had the pleasure to use. Learning it is a snap. Never again will I expect to hear the same version of any piece I use in another's film. I'm smiling!!!
Cheers
Greg Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Or stick with Sony products and check out Cinescore.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

For projects that are attractive, there is always the possibility of getting a budding composer to create custom music for free. In general, composers would be looking for some combination of the following:

* The ability to include parts of the finished project in a demo reel
* A particularly interesting project for art's sake
* Royalties on the back end
* General exposure
* Networking and relationship building with a budding filmmaker
* Experience in mating sound to picture
* Entry in competitions
* Ego stroking
* Cash on the barrelhead

There are many composers lurking at http://northernsounds.com Some are making decent livings in the trade, and have no interest in budget projects. Others have been investing in the latest and greatest tools, and want to develop their skils and start a career.

For people who want original music, it wouldn't be a bad idea to register at NS, lurk around and PM some of the people who's demos, personalities and situations seem attractive.

A videotaped pageant probably isn't the kind of project that will attract people there, but if in the future you're shooting a narrative piece, you might be able to hook up with some real talent.
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Cinescore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Or stick with Sony products and check out Cinescore.
I have been eyeing Cinescore for exactly that same reasons. So far, I have been working all my audio editing right on the timeline with the video in Vegas. Is there any clear advantage to using CineScore? I am in the process of yet another production (Clients mean income which is good!) and will have one coming up in a month so I seem to be getting one wedding every other month. If Cinescore will speed up my work then it might be worth my time.

Know of any good reviews for Cinescore? THanks as usual for any advice, Ed.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Cinescore is designed to CREATE music. You would then place that music on your timeline in Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Trustee

I use music2hues.com and sopersound.com. The have a good variety of styles and good prices.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Trustee

Cinescore

Quote:
Cinescore is designed to CREATE music. You would then place that music on your timeline in Vegas.
Looks like the utility of Cinescore entirely rests with your audio library. Any one of experience with the Wedding pack that Sony is touting with their Cinescore bundle?

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
I would say that Cinescore lets you SHAPE music to fit your movie. The composers behind the scenes CREATED the melodies, harmonies and riffs. The end user simply bends the pre-composed music to fit the timing and emotional context of the pictures.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, Cinescore is great. If you want to just download some free royalty free music, look here for some links.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Personally, if you are looking for the "cheapest" solution, I would look into Sony's (free version) of Acid and it's on-line samples of loops as well as the monthly free "8 packs" samples/songs (http://download.acidplanet.com/8packs/).

I'm not sure how restricted the free version is, but Acid (Pro at least) is very capable. It can import a video file so you can see the highlights to score to.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I would absolute agree with the ACID nod. Rather than Cinescore, where you adapt other people's music, with ACID you really get to put together your own stuff. It's kind of like assembling a mosaic.

Sure, you're limited to the loops that you own, but you can also record your own.

You won't create any John Williams scores with it, but if you're doing hip hop, industrial or something else with a repetitive beat, ACID is the right tool for the job.
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #15
Trustee

There is also opsound.net for free music
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...