Vegas Exception Error 0x7c90eddc - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

You could right-click the clip in the Project Media, choose "Replace", and then pick the other file. OR you could use Gearshift by VASST to do the switching for you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Ed. Is there an easy way to convert all your files into proxies? I made AVI files with Raylight.
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #18

Will, check out the Gearshift product on the VASST website. It was designed to create the proxies and switch back to the original files for you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I looked at Gearshift and the VASST website, but even if I used proxies to edit the whole movie when I switch back to my HD files for the final render, wouldn't I still get this error? I don't think proxies will help, and Raylight actually has an option of setting the AVI files to lower quality, but that didn't help.

Have other people gone to proxies because of this error or am I the only one to experience this problem? I mean has anyone not used proxies and gotten a different kind of error? I know other people must have encountered this at some point.

Has anyone tried buying those Sony support plans? Just curious how they work or if they work.
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Has anyone else gotten this exception error? Anyone know anything about it (when or why it occurs)?

Has switching to proxies helped anyone get rid of this error?
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I contacted Sony. This is what they told me to do:

That particular error message might indicate a corrupt installation.
Therefore, I'm going to suggest that you un-install all of your Sony
Media Software and older Sonic Foundry software. Do this by going to
Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

Once un-installed, delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry
C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry Setup
C:\Program Files\Sony (Do not delete this entire folder if you have
other Sony applications installed such as Sonic Stage, Everquest, Star
Wars Galaxies, etc. If that is the case then only delete the folder for
the Sony Media Software application you are using as well as the Shared
Plug-Ins folder.)
C:\Program Files\Sony Setup

Once un-installed, click over to your Windows Registry Editor (Start ->
Run -> regedt32).
WARNING: The Registry is a very sensitive area to work in. If you are
not comfortable with advanced configuration and system changes, ask an
administrator to help you with this.
Once in there, delete the following registry entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic Foundry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Media Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic Foundry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Media Software

Next, disable everything under Startup in MSCONFIG. Do this by going
to Start>Run 'MSCONFIG' - Startup Tab, Click Disable All, Click Apply,
Click Close, Click Restart Now.

After the computer is restarted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time
and you will see a list of the programs currently running (some users
will have to hit the "Task Manager" button). Move over to the Processes
Tab and click the "Image Name" heading at the top left of this window to
view these items in alphabetical order. Close everything showing on
that list except for the items listed below. To end a process, highlight
it and click the End Process button at the bottom of the window.

End every process except for:

alg.exe
ccmexec.exe
csrss.exe
explorer.exe
lsass.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (there may be more than one of these, you can leave them
all running)
System Idle Process
System
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmiprvse.exe

You may have other Users logged into the system and displayed on this
list, but make sure you log them off and close down their processes as
well.

This is a good opportunity to remind you to temporarily disable your
system's anti-virus software. If running in the background while
installing the application, it can be difficult for the system to update
registry values needed to help the program run smooth.

I did everything just like they said, and bingo, still got the error.

Updating my Raylight codec to 1.05d seemed to help temporarily as I was able to open the project without error and keep it open indefinitely without error until about 3 weeks later when I decided I better not keep my computer on 24/7 for that long. After a reboot, the error was back. The codec now has another update out 2.01, and I'm going to try it. It even allows you to create separate self-contained AVIs, which I may try to see if that gets rid of the error. So far no luck though.

Has anyone made a feature-length film with the HVX200 and used Raylight?
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Okay, get this. I bought a brand new computer. The Sony rep seemed to think it was a system-level issue. So $700 later brand new machine. And I'm not joking. I put my video drives in it since I need them to access all my HD files. Put Vegas 7 on... load the project file. It builds all the audio peaks (about 1,837), and finishes loading just fine. No error. I can save multiple copies of the project, edit, render, do whatever. After I close the project just once and try to reopen it or any of the saved copies, I get that first error box saying, "An error occurred during the current operation. An exception has occurred." Of course, no details. The program closes. I no longer get the error afterwards... the memory access error or whatever (ie NO "The exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the application at location 0x7c90eddc"). All I get is that error box in Vegas.

I'm trying to keep this error and its status documented, because I'm hoping someout out there can help, and I'm hoping if I ever find a solution, other people who encounter this error can get help since obviously Sony pretends it doesn't exist (why else would it be missing from their knowledgebase?).
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #23
Regular Crew

If I could ask Steven Davis another question about the pagefile error he got.... what is a pagefile? I think my problem might be similar to yours... was Sony able to fix the pagefile issue (I guess not since you had to render it on a different machine)? My project has files on three different drives, and something incorrect is happening with how it references those drives. It's gotta be in the project itself I think... when I put it on a new machine with my video hard drives, it worked fine for a little bit... then I think I moved around a couple files, and the error came back. But then I tried restoring that computer's C drive to factory defaults and starting over, but the error was still there. Could my video hard drives have pagefiles that are causing the issue? Maybe if I got one massive hard drive... it'd have to be like a terabyte though...

Steven, you said you rendered the same project on a different computer, fixing the pagefile issue... so could you then open that project on the previous computer without an error? Rendering just somehow corrected the issue?

Last edited by Will Hanlon; December 5th, 2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hanlon
If I could ask Steven Davis another question about the pagefile error he got.... what is a pagefile? I think my problem might be similar to yours... was Sony able to fix the pagefile issue (I guess not since you had to render it on a different machine)? My project has files on three different drives, and something incorrect is happening with how it references those drives. It's gotta be in the project itself I think... when I put it on a new machine with my video hard drives, it worked fine for a little bit... then I think I moved around a couple files, and the error came back. But then I tried restoring that computer's C drive to factory defaults and starting over, but the error was still there. Could my video hard drives have pagefiles that are causing the issue? Maybe if I got one massive hard drive... it'd have to be like a terabyte though...

Steven, you said you rendered the same project on a different computer, fixing the pagefile issue... so could you then open that project on the previous computer without an error? Rendering just somehow corrected the issue?
Will,

(In storage, a pagefile is a reserved portion of a hard disk that is used as an extension of random access memory (RAM) for data in RAM that hasn't been used recently. A pagefile can be read from the hard disk as one contiguous chunk of data and thus faster than re-reading data from many different original locations. Windows NT administrators or users can reset the system-provided default size value of the pagefile to meet their particular needs. Courtesy of SearchSMB.com)

Using that line of thought, the pagefile issue was the only thing I could think of, since I was able to render this particular project on another machine, from the same source drive (s) from across my network. I was never able to get that particular project to render on the machine I created it on. The rest of that wedding did fine, but that one project had issues. If I was guessing, and guessing only, from what you describe, it sounds like the project itself. On thing you could try, if you really want to know what the problem is. You could recreate each project on a different drive, machine etc, do it piece by piece and see where you have problems.

I hope this helps.
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Steven.

I was finally able to "solve" my problem... I broke my one 60min project file down into six 10min separate project files. All the individual project files always open without the error... just the massive one has problems. I tried making huge pagefiles on my drives... nothing helped, and my computer already has 4GB of ram.

Vegas has serious issues, and if I hadn't already done so much work in it (and if I didn't like its setup so much), I'd be switching to Avid or FCP on a Mac, because this is ridiculous. Sony really needs to get the bugs worked out... I tried absolutely everything... buying a different computer, putting all my files on one 750gb internal drive, etc. and it seems pretty obvious the problem is clearly with the software. Next film I'm definitely not using Vegas.
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Will,

I have always maintained that Vegas should have better error reporting. Giving me an error which even the guys at Sony doesn't understand is ridiculous. I'm glad you were able to get the project finished. You should send sony this thread.
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks Steven. I agree. Better error reporting would help a lot. I'd send Sony the thread if I thought it'd make a difference, but I did update their tech support on the situation, and I'm sure they did nothing about it.
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I got the error again in one of my 10min segment files. But I was able to get rid of it by deleting some media bins and the files in them. Since I've reduced my project down to 10min segments, I no longer need all my media bins or all the files they link to (at least not in each segment).

So basically, Vegas = chock full of bugs. And never again am I using this ridiculous software. I notified Sony of the problem, and I'm sure they'll do nothing about it.
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #29
New Boot

Will, I had the same problem until about ten minutes ago. I have a 90 minute project and was resorting to breaking it down into mini-projects, some of which worked and some didn't. After a suggestion by Ed Troxel, I moved all of the media onto a separate hard drive...same problem. On a whim, I put my avi files in one folder on hard drive "a", my m2t files in another folder on hard drive "b", and seven mp3 files (soundtrack) into a separate folder on hard drive "c". I then opened up vegas and it couldn't find the files. It first asked for my m2t files...I directed it to that drive and didn't have a problem. Next it asked for my mp3 files...I directed it to that drive and Vegas disappeared. When I relaunched vegas, I chose to ignore the 7 mp3 files and open the other files...presto. Not sure which of the 7 mp3's was the problem yet, but it appears that it was one that an indie artist directed me to download from music.download.com. I'll let you know when I isolate it.

Hope that helps.
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #30

Now you're getting somewhere. Is your mp3 plugin registered?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...