Free online Video Tutorials at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Free online Video Tutorials

Hola group,

after searching threw this section i came across some good video tutorials (the 24p one) and it got me curious to know what else is out there. So without dropping $100 for a training CD, what content do you know of out there for the mid-level user that will expand our skill set?

Thanks
Andy
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

There are some on Sony's website. Why limit yourself to only video tutorials, though?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Why limit yourself to only video tutorials, though?
Books are a great resource and i've gone down to the book store and read through a couple of them. I'm just trying to add skills and haven't done the videos yet.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #4
Major Player

What books would you recommend? For an advanced user, that is. In contrast to e.g. Premiere Pro, there doesn't seem to be such a lot available for Vegas.

A good, in-depth book is always nice, but I don't like to be stuck with a book that has a 200-page elaborate description on how to get your clips in the timeline and summarises all the interesting topics on halve a page referring to that as "it is also possible".

(Don't get me wrong - the basics are important, but I'm past that, somwhat...)

Any suggestions?
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Have you checked Edward's Tips and tricks series (link in his signature) - incredible free recource (not video tutorial though) for any Vegas user!
Also VASST has some free tutorials - you might search from the given links in the Stickies...
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Major Player

That seems nice.

Actually I am looking for a book. I'm spending so much time in fron of a screen already, that it would be a nice change to read something from paper :-)
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
That seems nice.

Actually I am looking for a book. I'm spending so much time in fron of a screen already, that it would be a nice change to read something from paper :-)
There are currently 6 books available on Sony Vegas, four of them authored by me, one authored by Jeffery Fisher and myself, and one from Thomson. You'll have to decide which one fits you best. All are pretty good. I will say the author of the Thomson book clearly isn't a regular Vegas user, as he misses some pretty key points on how to use the software, but it does cover the software menu functions quite thoroughly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
There are some on Sony's website. Why limit yourself to only video tutorials, though?
Edward, if I had to guess, he like myself come from a video world. Heck, as I kid I learned how to relate to others watching Bugs Bunny.

But I know what he's referring to probably, is that some people learn best by watching others, some learn best by reading.

I think, if you were to ask my humble opinion, there is a trend in offering video type manuals with new things. I was at Home Depot this weekend exchaning my gas can for my grill, and I'll be darned if they haven't automated the whole process like coke machine, complete with video tutorial on how to do it. It cracked me up.
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Steve Wrote:

"Edward, if I had to guess, he like myself come from a video world. Heck, as I kid I learned how to relate to others watching Bugs Bunny."

Speaking from personal experience, what I find most disturbing about this statement is the undeniability of its truth.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...