Vegas on the new Mac?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 25th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas on the new Mac??

I am waiting to hear how Vegas 6 runs on the new Mac Pro Quad with 2 dual core intel processors. I have seen the rendertest results on fast machines on here but I would love to see if both processors would be used.

Does anyone know if Vegas would use two processors and two "cores"?
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

It will definitely use them when rendering.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Major Player

You can make a "quad" (dual dual core) PC if you want... I spec'd one out to see and it was about 1500 (depens on which processors you decide to thrown in there amongst other variables)
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I considered building a Quad PC before but was concerned that Windows isn't yet even running a 64 bit operating system so I probably would be losing a lot of processing power. Also I was not sure if Vegas would make use of it. I would love to see Vegas run at full/best at all times while editing though.

However, its After Effects that just crawls on my AMD 64 3500 that makes me think of buying that power. Plus after a zillion years of windows I am tired of crashes, viruses, hardware incompatibilities and plan to move to the darkside. I just don't plan to give up on Vegas. Not entirely that is.
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Vegas won't run natively on the mac though right... it will either be emulating windows (YUCK!) or you will use boot camp to run XP which means it won't be any different than a PC. They do have a 64bit version of windows btw.

Vegas would use all the processors just the same.

I have 4 computers running 24/7 with ZERO virus protection/adware protection even installed (no software firewalls... just linksys router). I go to any site no matter how "sketchy". I have never gotten a single virus or spyware program on any of these systems in probably close to 2 years that I stopped using antivirus. I use Opera and hardly EVER run IE (unless a sight is refusing to run, seldom, or I just want to see if it's my browser acting flakey or the site.)
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Kevin wrote:

"I go to any site no matter how "sketchy"."

Kevin, you failed to include the links to these "sketchy" sites.

BMW
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mitchell Warshawsky
Kevin wrote:

"I go to any site no matter how "sketchy"."

Kevin, you failed to include the links to these "sketchy" sites.

BMW
LOL... probably against the rules being a pg13 site and all ;)
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Gallagher
I am waiting to hear how Vegas 6 runs on the new Mac Pro Quad with 2 dual core intel processors. I have seen the rendertest results on fast machines on here but I would love to see if both processors would be used.

Does anyone know if Vegas would use two processors and two "cores"?
Charley if you get the Mac Pro Quad forget about Vegas and step FULLY into the darkside with FCP Studio. :)

Honestly though it's a much cheaper solution to build a windows Quad than to go the Mac route and run it via Boot Camp.

Besides your not shooting/editing HDV so the only real reason you need that kind of horsepower is for AE, and Adobe will be releasing the Universal Binary versions of it's software for the Mac soon (sans PPro of course).
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Vegas + Intel Mac w/ Bootcamp = ?

Has anyone actually tried this yet?
This may prove to be nothing more than an exercise in futility, however hard benchmarks would be intriguing nonetheless.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm with you Brian. I am dying to hear some benchmarks. Actually, seeing the rendertest results with ANY kind of quad, Mac or otherwise would be great.

As for Bootcamp. I believe it has to be installed before the OS in put on so asking a friend with a Mac Pro to do this after his machine has been up and running would be asking a lot.

Parallels looks promising, however, since it can be installed later. It will probably prove more useful as you also would not have to reboot the machine to switch operating systems.
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Gallagher
As for Bootcamp. I believe it has to be installed before the OS in put on so asking a friend with a Mac Pro to do this after his machine has been up and running would be asking a lot.
No bootcamp can be installed at any time. It relinquishes part of your HD via a partition for the XP install. It's not a complex process at all in fact.

Why not just ask Douglas Spotted Eagle what rendertest (1) benchmark results he gets with his PC quadcore he built?
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Why not just ask Douglas Spotted Eagle what rendertest (1) benchmark results he gets with his PC quadcore he built?
Agreed... probably be a more stable platform to test it on.
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

My four dollars

I gave up on the 'buy mac hardware and use Vegas' journey and just picked up a Duo core 2.0ghz laptop from HP. I say journey because I tried for months to get someone an answer to a question square on point to the one you pose about Vegas etc and duo cores, but I was trying to go with a mac. Talk about people who won't explore this issue, mac techs.

So far I am very happy with the thing from HP though. It feels much faster than anything I have now, including my AMD 3800 dual core I built last year. But I'm not a bench tester, so I can only tell you how it feels.

When the dust settled from my research the HP came out hundered cheaper than any other build I was able to find.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...