No HDV Capture in Movie Studio +DVD Platinum Edition - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

From my reading of past posts, my understanding is that HDV works fine in XP but nobody can seem to find any drivers that work in Win2K. If you stick with DV mode, all should work fine using the EXTERNAL capture app. Vegas can work fine with Win2K - and can even edit HDV footage in Win2K (if you copy it to that machine). However, it does specify XP SP2 for HDV. Many have used XP SP1 as well but the driver has to be manually chosen. If Windows can't see the camera, Vegas certainly won't.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Edward,
The system requirements on the box is Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP (Windows XP SP2 required for HDV). It indicates to me that if you have XP, that you also have to have SP2 installed for HDV. If the labelling on the box really means that "only" XP with SP2 is required for HDV, then Sony has a real consumer mislabelling problem. I really don't think that they would market something that misleading. I don't see any disclaimer on the box that says: *Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP1 for DV only.

I can absorb the $129 +tax, but now I would have rather gone to the real Vegas and droped it all in the slots...
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don DesJardin
The system requirements on the box is Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP (Windows XP SP2 required for HDV). It indicates to me that if you have XP, that you also have to have SP2 installed for HDV. If the labelling on the box really means that "only" XP with SP2 is required for HDV, then Sony has a real consumer mislabelling problem. I really don't think that they would market something that misleading. I don't see any disclaimer on the box that says: *Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP1 for DV only.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. The labeling sounds correct to me. If you want to capture HDV, the box says XP SP2 is required. It will run fine on Win2K UNLESS you're trying to do HDV because Win2K does not support the cameras! I'm not sure where the labeling is misleading:

Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP (Windows XP SP2 required for HDV)

You say you're running Win2k - seems obvious to me from that requirement that you will NOT be doing HDV.
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #19
Major Player

The box very specifically has "HD" on it. It doesn;t say "DV and HD". The way I read it, if you have XP SP1, you will have to upgrade your XP to Service Pack 2 in order to use HDV. If the requirements had said Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP1 for DV, Windows XP SP2 for HDV, I would have understood very clearly and not bought it. I'm not about ready to play word games with Sony, and the box, as is implies, that it's an HD package and will run on the listed operating syatems, as long as you have the listed Service Packs installed. I should have known better when I had Vegas 4, even if Sony didn't own them at that time. I guess it time to use their toll free phone and call them. I already know what the answer is going to be from anyone looking at this, "Lots of Luck".
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #20
Inner Circle

So Don- isn't Windows 2000 getting a bit long in the tooth as an operating system ?

I do recognize the benefits of 2000, including use on multiple systems, but there is point......
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Chris,
Windows 2000 is, in my opinion, the most stable OS Microsoft has produced to date. I never get any crashes, and it's not a memory hog like XP. I have the installation disks, and I have control. I think you would be surpeised the number of people still using it.

I only bought this peice of software to try a little editing in HD at an entry level, before getting more serious with something higher end. I have been using Ulead Media Studio Pro 7 for years now, and it has served me well. I'll look around DV Expo next week and take a look at what's new in HD editing. All I can do now, is just suck it up and go forward......
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #22

Bottom line:

1) Win2K can't see the HDV camera - therefore no program running on Win2K can see it.

2) Vegas is one of the few that will still RUN on Win2K

3) Vegas CAN edit HD on Win2K - you just can't capture it there. Get it captured, copy it there, and it WILL work with HD.

I think it's hard to blame Vegas for OS issues.
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #23
Major Player

Edward.
Thank you for this information, it's what make these forums a value added source of information. Yes, your right, as I have checked most all suppliers that deal in capture of HDV, and all specify Windows XP SP2 for HDV capture. I was going to upgrade my CPU, but now I'll will also have to think about an upgrade to XP at some point. Microsoft provides the OS, and the software developers have to work with what's provided, understood. Microsoft could have provided a patch to Win2K, but it's Microsoft's job to push new new technology such as XP, and not to continue to support old technology like Win2K. It's all business.
Again, thanks to everyone who responded, and I think this can end this thread....Don
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Don,

Just one last word. I was using Vegas for years on Windows 2000, and it worked fine. It was when I got an HDV camcorder (HC1) that I discovered what you have discovered, that Windows 2000 won't recognize the HDV camcorder. I looked long and hard for solutions and was never able to find a way to get it to work.

I didn't want to get rid of Windows 2000 at that point so my solution was to buy a copy of XP and install that as well. So now I choose Windows 2000 or XP at boot time; when I'm capturing it is XP.
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...