No HDV Capture in Movie Studio +DVD Platinum Edition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Major Player

No HDV Capture in Movie Studio +DVD Platinum Edition

I purchased this package to get a little experience working in HD and to see if it would be worth it to move up to Vegas 6 or 7 at a later date when I could afford to do so.

I'm able to capture DV using an XL1, XL H1, and a Panasonic AG-DV1000 deck via firewire with no problems. When I try to capture HDV, the capture software doesn't see the drive or folder I specified for capture "No Device Selected", nor does it see the device "Device Not Available". Following the Quick Start Guide, I checked "Use external video application". This is what I have listed in the Device Manager. Device Manager-->IEEE 1394 Bus host controller-->VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller, and Device Manager-->Imaging devices-->Microsoft DV Camera and VCR. Looking at the Preferences in the Vegas Capture Window, Prefs-->Capture Preferences-->Device-->IEEE 1394/MPEG2-TS. I also have Ulead Media Studio Pro 7 installed. I looked in the capture and under the Device Control, I use MS1394 Device Control. I'm not sure if there might be a conflict between the 2 different "Device Controls". Up until this point it's been back and forth with online tech support with nothing suggested that I already haven't done. I haven't received and further word from them and don't think I will. Any help or advice would gladly be received, either on or off line....
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

From Memory, you select capture in comes up with two choice. I think you pick the one that is not designated as external. If you are still having trouble later this evening, let me know, and I will be at my system to confirm the choice you make. I never had to do more than that with my FX1. Also, is your camera set to send HDV....

By the way, you can also capture with scene detect capability with HDVSplit, a freeware application. Google it....
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris,
I have checked and unchecked that box. Yes, I have the XL H1 PLAYBACK at "HDV", and HD DOWN_CONV "OFF". Also thanks for the link to HDVSplit, but it requires XP, or that's what the systems requirements specified, and I'm running 2000 Pro. Also, the XL H1 wasn't on their list of compatible cameras. Again, thanks for your response...
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Don:

Not that good on OS's, but is 2000 updated for HDV like XP SP2 does ?
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Most all higher end PC based editing packages, from what I have looked to, run on XP or 2000 only. Most all the lower end consumer stuff will run on 98SE to XP, but 98SE, and in some cases ME, are dropping off the edge of the world and no longer supported by software companies.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Don, its not the software, as much as recognition by the OS of the HDV signal... I know people were having issues with recognition with HDV last year, and one of the fixes was to make sure your XP was updated to Service Pack 2. Otherwise, the OS couldn't access the HDV camera.

I'm not saying that is your issue, but the reports you give are similar to ones I heard back then..
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Follow up:

This site say Windows 2000 needs SP4 to work with HDV.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=761240
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The internal capture is what should be selected and it opens in the corner by explorer, Is this the capture utility you're using? It is completely different than
the Sony capture that launches for dv. Hope it's that easy.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Chris,
That's what I'm running, Win 2000 Pro SP4.

OK, this is right out of the Quick Start pdf doumentation. Tip: To specify the video capture application you want to use with the full version of Vegas software or in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum software, check the "Use external video capture application" check box on the Video tab of the Preferences window and browse for the program's executable (.EXE) file. The only one I see is C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7.0\VidCap60.EXE, which sounds like the default unless you are using another third party capture application, or if you are using a Blackmagic Design DeckLink card.

Is this true or not??
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don DesJardin
Chris,
That's what I'm running, Win 2000 Pro SP4.

OK, this is right out of the Quick Start pdf doumentation. Tip: To specify the video capture application you want to use with the full version of Vegas software or in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum software, check the "Use external video capture application" check box on the Video tab of the Preferences window and browse for the program's executable (.EXE) file. The only one I see is C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7.0\VidCap60.EXE, which sounds like the default unless you are using another third party capture application, or if you are using a Blackmagic Design DeckLink card.

Is this true or not??
Don:

First thing I do when I start up Movie Studio or Vegas for capture purposes, is to select File in the pull down menu. Go down the pull down menu, and click on Capture. A window pops up giving me two choices for capture. One is external, which I select for DV capture. The other is internal, which specifies at that selection site, that it is for HDV. Select that and then, in the lower left corner a blue window comes up. Right now it says no device selected, so I right click on the no device selected words in the window, and it offers me another pull down menu. I select device on that, and it give me the choice of IEEE 1394- Mpeg2 ts device. I move the cursor over that, and it then give me the camera selection. (In this case the FX1) I select that, and I am ready to capture. The blue screen now says "Stopped".

Hope that helps.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #11
Major Player

Chris,
"First thing I do when I start up Movie Studio or Vegas for capture purposes, is to select File in the pull down menu. Go down the pull down menu, and click on Capture. A window pops up giving me two choices for capture. One is external, which I select for DV capture. The other is internal, which specifies at that selection site, that it is for HDV. Select that and then, in the lower left corner a blue window comes up".

I did exactly that.

"Right now it says no device selected, so I right click on the no device selected words in the window, and it offers me another pull down menu".

There is nothing special about right clicking on the blue box. Click anywhere on the Capture window does the same thing.

"I select device on that, and it give me the choice of IEEE 1394- Mpeg2 ts device".

I did that and there was 2 choices, IEEE 1394- Mpeg2-TS, and <none>. I selected it and there was nothing that happenend other than selecting it. The "Device" box below it is grayed out and the window below that says "No Device Properties". And after all this, the blue box now says "No Device Avaiable".

I would really like to see a list of supported HDV cameras for this peice of software, because I don't believe the Canon XL H1 is on the list. Would anyone like to either confirm or dispute this.
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hmmmm. Sounds like the problem. Before I upgraded to Vegas 7, I had upgraded this to most recent version which was 6.0b. Don't know if you have done that. The disk out of the box will usually not be the most recent upgrade.
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Don:

This thread may help...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77838
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

My big question (since you're on Win2K) is: Does WINDOWS detect the camera in HDV mode? Do you need to MANUALLY load the driver (as was necessary in pre-SP2 winXP)?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Edward,
My system (Win 2000 SP4) doesn't see the camera in HDV mode. I looked through the threads as suggested, and it seems everything talked about was about XP and Service Pack 2. I did a search on Microsoft's site for Windows 2000 and there was nothing found. The Sony/ Vegas developers surely know what's going on, but none of their tech support people have a clue. They have basically left me flapping in the wind. If it is a Microsoft problem, then Vegas team should at least make the end user aware, and at least try and help. It's going to be interesting when I show up at the Sony Vegas booth the 15th at DV Expo in Los Angeles, assuming they are showing, with the installation disk and receipt in hand, and ask for a full refund or make their software work. I'm sure my being there will not fix the problem, or get a refund, but the "booth bunnies" need the entertainment. For now, the project that I have to do will have to be done in SD for the first presentation, and redone in HD at a later date.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...