How to edit an action scene... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to edit an action scene...

It snowed today, so we did a chase on some snowmobiles and motorcycles. I have a lot of footage, and I have many angles of the same shot and I was wondering what the best way to edit it was, and what I need to do in order to keep up the intensity.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You said you have many angles of the same action sequence-If that means you had more than 1 camera running I would drop all the footage of those sequences on to seperate tracks, PAN/CROP them to fit on the preview screen(set to 1440X and move them over and up or down as needed to get all onto the screen) find a sync point and run it. Set markers t oindicate where you want to make the cuts-make 'em and move those clips UP to a MASTER track-remove the PAN/CROP from those clips and continue with your edit-FXs Color Correction whatever. I would certainly use CUTS not disolves.
Of course if you have Excalibur OR Ultimatte S the multicam editing is a whole lot easier.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Don.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Trustee

free plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills
Thanks for the advice Don.

SB
VASST does have a free 2 camera script that you could use twice.... choose between 2 angles and them do that with the other 2 and then choose between the 2 master cuts. Takes a lot more planing because you haveto know what you want to do on tracks 3&4 while you are working on 1&2.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Were it me, I'd probably get frame grabs from every shot and perhaps print them out. Then I'd pin them on a bulletin board and create a story board. No more than 5 seconds per shot.

I'm old school I guess.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...