New Computer For Vegas! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Major Player

New Computer For Vegas!

Hi All,

I don't know where to post this topic.

I am looking to get a new computer to edit with Vegas. I'll be editing mainly in DV and sometimes in HDV. Any suggestions? Please don't break my back $$$$$ with your suggestions.
Intel or AMD?

Thanks All
Matthew
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs with a suitable motherboard are the ticket right now. There are several threads on this over at the Sony Vegas forum with specs and test data.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Tourist

Here is my recipe, hope it helps.

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, 500 bucks or so. *Hint: Shop at a large electronics retailer and sometimes they'll throw in a cheap or even a free motherboard.
-Some motherboard that supports SLi at 16x speed on both lanes and has other nifty features that you like.
-Max the memory dude, 4gb when running x86 architecture operating system, 8gb's when running x64 architecture operating system. (probably the most expensive components to buy, but have at least 2gb's is my recommendation)
-Video card: Do you want professional or mainstream? Are you playing any advanced computer games or doing other 3D activities that would require a mainstream card? If pro, go for a brand new matrox or something, im not too familiar with them. they will run you up to 2000 dollars if not even more, the ram has just been ousted for most expensive part. If mainstream, try to go for the Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX. For even more madness, drop the extra 500-700 dollars on a second one, that is why you need SLi. costs 500-700 dollars each.
-Monitor - you didn't specify whether you would be needing a new monitor or not, so i'll just recommend that you DON'T skimp on the monitor. - Can be very cheap, can be very expensive. Heck, my father has a 42'' LCD-TV doing the job for him. 4000:1 contrast ratio or something crazy like that. so, it's all up to you, how much screen real-estate do you need?
-Case - tower, or the biggest thing you can get. lots of cooling in bigger cases.
-Cooling - Liquid or air?
-Sound system - something by Creative or Auzentech (whatever they're called nowadays), get the X-Fi or the Meridian, respectively.

If you have further concerns or questions please just note so in your next post.
Orri Jonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My recipe is a little different than Orri's - not to pick on Orri, but it's easier to explain in comparison.

I'm with Orri on processor. Could reach a little bit lower if HDV is not primary.

SLI - decide right now if more than 2 monitors will be needed. If so, SLI is the way to do it, if not, avoid the nVidia mobo chipsets that make it possible, and go with a genuine Intel mobo.

Motherboard - in addition to the above, take a good look at what expansion cards that you want to stuff in the box. PCI is in transition to PCI-X. I have several PCI cards that are quickly becoming "legacy", but you can still get, eg., an intel mobo with 1 PCI-X16 (video), 3 PCI-x1, and 3 PCI.

2GB is enough ram in XP.

Video card(s) - Vegas does not benefit from a hot video card. There is no reason to spend more than $150 on video unless you're doing something else with it that needs 3d performance, like 3d modeling, games, or other app that runs faster/better with more graphics.

Get a quiet power supply and quiet case fans, they're worth the few extra $ if you'll be editing next to your PC.

Sound cards... Creative Labs are famous for drivers that misbehave and don't play well with others. I highly recommend (and have) products from Echo Audio and M-Audio. Both keep up with drivers for new OS, great audio in/out, interface with pro equipment, etc. Many people like the M-Audio Firewire410, an external sound card, as a great way to do 5.1 mixing.

Here again, it depends on what you'll be doing and what other equipment you have or will be getting.

Lots of info over in the "now hear this" forum about studio monitors. If sound matters, you need them. Computer/consumer speakers are designed to make almost any audio sound good. Studio monitors are designed to reveal what is on the track - this is important.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...