How can the looping feature be disabled? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How can the looping feature be disabled?

I'm sure everyone is familiar with our ability in Vegas to drag along the timeline during editing to create a looping area.

Problem is, I would like to turn if off. I find it annoying when I'm attempting to move the thingy down the timeline and I accidentally create one of these loops...

I suspect it cannot be disabled. Am I wrong?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Under preferences editing there is a collapse loop region setting that changes the behavior of the looping. Hope this helps
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'll give it a try...thanks, Jim
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Didn't work...don't know what that setting does, exactly, but it doesn't disable looping. Thanks anyway.
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just click the looping icon (next to the Record button on transport control) or use Ctrl+Shift+L or just the Q key - any of these toggle looping on or off.

I know it doesn't get rid of the markers; haven't found anything that does (but I've only been using Vegas for about a month)

HTH... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah Steve, the problem is I do creative edits to music and I move very quickly, and often end up accidentally creating a loop region when I am attempt to quickly move the timeline cursor, and it just is a pain.

I then have to go and resize the region to "zero" so to speak...but thank you for the tip about the loop playback button, never gave it any thought before.
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, I just switched to Vegas a month or so ago, and was constantly making "accidentaloops", so got pretty familiar with the "Q" key :=) Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

With the "Collapse Loop Region" turned on, simply clicking on the timeline will create a zero length loop. If you're wanting to precisely move the cursor, you might try doing so using the arrow keys instead.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward...the arrow keys is a good suggestion, but I often am moving greater distances than that, back and forth...

My problem earlier was a good example...I wanted to drag (move) two clips together from the end of the project to an earlier point...so I clicked on one, ctrl+clicked on the other, which normally selected both clips, then I went to drag them down the timeline, and instead of my clips moving I found I was creating a loop region. Maybe I'm not careful enough.
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

One thing that works for me in that scenario - I use the scroll wheel on the mouse to quickly expand/contract the time line - I contract the timeline (using the wheel), then with my left hand running the arrow keys, quickly move to the desired area - then I expand with the wheel, and (if I have the cursor exactly where I want it, and don't want it to move) I hold the Ctrl key for the FIRST selection also - this keeps the cursor from moving to where I clicked. Ctrl click the rest of the desired clips (or, if there are several, sometimes using the "selection" cursor and "lasso-ing" them works better)

Now, if I have a long distance to move the clips, I CUT them (Ctrl X), then collapse the timeline (mouse wheel), move to the new area (arrow keys), expand timeline (mouse wheel), place my cursor (I always keep the mouse pointer down in the track area for this, not above it) where I want the new clips to go, and PASTE them (Ctrl V)

I still sometimes forget to make sure ripple edit is OFF for this - thank God for Ctrl Z...

There's probably an easier way to do this; remember I'm just switching over to Vegas so if I were you, I'd listen to almost ANYONE instead of me :=) Steve

Almost forgot - an even quicker way to move around is to place two temporary markers (M key) at the two locations I want to move between - then, Ctrl + left or right arrow and you're THERE...
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...