uncompressed MOV file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

uncompressed MOV file

A stock footage web site I am thinking of working with wants all clips made into .mov files. I have tried using Vegas 7 and it is obvious all setting are compressing the file (and the final .mov file ends up being bigger than the original AVI, which is really confuses me!). The setting I am using are:

Project tab>video rendering quality:Best

Video tab>
frame size:NTSC DV (720x480)
Frame Rate:29.970 (NTSC)
field order:Lower field first
Pixel aspect ration:0.909
video format:Video
Compressed depth:15 bpp color (only selection available)
quality set at 100%
keyframe is checked and set to 30

I have also tried video format set to: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC which changes the Compressed Depth to 24 bpp color, with the same results.

The resulting file look compressed and have horizontal lines through them. I was reading other posts here which said they need to be deinterlaced for viewing on an LCD screen but would be fine on a TV. If this is true it begs the question, why don't AVI files played in media player have these same lines then??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Burleson
A stock footage web site I am thinking of working with wants all clips made into .mov files. I have tried using Vegas 7 and it is obvious all setting are compressing the file (and the final .mov file ends up being bigger than the original AVI, which is really confuses me!). The setting I am using are:

Project tab>video rendering quality:Best

Video tab>
frame size:NTSC DV (720x480)
Frame Rate:29.970 (NTSC)
field order:Lower field first
Pixel aspect ration:0.909
video format:Video
Compressed depth:15 bpp color (only selection available)
quality set at 100%
keyframe is checked and set to 30

I have also tried video format set to: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC which changes the Compressed Depth to 24 bpp color, with the same results.

The resulting file look compressed and have horizontal lines through them. I was reading other posts here which said they need to be deinterlaced for viewing on an LCD screen but would be fine on a TV. If this is true it begs the question, why don't AVI files played in media player have these same lines then??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Duane
i haven't got access to my PC right now, so i can't double check this, but you should be able to select from a list of compression methods when you render to quick time. This list would contain things like sorenson, photo jpeg, animation and uncompressed!

interms of being bigger than you avi file this makes sense if your avi file is compressed. and if the avi is uncompressed then maybe you changed the dimensions of the clip, the frame rate, colour depth or even the sound settings.

the lines you see i would definitly expect to be there, it's a good sign if you want the clip to be interlaced (do you?). from your settings you describle it is clear that the video you are rendering will end up being interlaced. it is also true that you can not display an interlaced signal on an LCD monitor, which is why you see lines.

the reason they dont appear in media player is presumably because media player doesnt always display larger clips in it's full resolution. it skips lines therefore effectively deinterlacing what is displayed. something like that - either way, it's way player, not the clip.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...