Capturing from my TV using the XL1s and Vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ringin
Why would you not put the DVD into your computer and rip the contents to an .avi file? that'd avoid unnecessary digital->analog (composite or svideo)->digital conversion.
Can anyone recommend a program that rips a DVD to an AVI? (I actually just need a section of the DVD, about 20 seconds)

Concerning the copyright issues, I would be using the footage for a promotional DVD, not for sale.

Thanks.

p.s. I am about to film my freaking TV with the camera. LOL
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #17
Major Player

OK, I put the DVD in the DVD rom of the computer, opened Vegas / file / open / then explore the DVD drive / click VIDEO_TS / change the Files of type pull down to "All Files" / choose an .IFO file.

Downside, there is no audio when doing it this way, but for my project I didn't need the audio.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hobbs
I have some footage on DVD that I'd like to edit with Vegas Movie Studio 7 and I've tried this approach. I've ripping the DVD to several formats and they each seem to work. Which format is better for this application - MPEG2, DivX or AVI? Or another?
I'd probably convert it to a minimally compressed .avi like DV. Definately not a highly compressed format like mpeg2 or 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Aren't there anti piracy features in a dvd to prevent this?
Maybe, depending on the actual DVD, but if it is copy protected it'll likely have macrovision that should stop copying through analogue means as well. In reality this probably won't give any problems, not to mention that a DVD with copy protection shouldn't be being copied anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden
Can anyone recommend a program that rips a DVD to an AVI? (I actually just need a section of the DVD, about 20 seconds)
I used a program in the past called DVDx (IIRC) - not sure if it is still around, you probably need to do a websearch.

Quote:
Concerning the copyright issues, I would be using the footage for a promotional DVD, not for sale.
I'll leave others to debate the ethics...

Quote:
OK, I put the DVD in the DVD rom of the computer, opened Vegas / file / open / then explore the DVD drive / click VIDEO_TS / change the Files of type pull down to "All Files" / choose an .IFO file.
Downside, there is no audio when doing it this way, but for my project I didn't need the audio.
Good to hear you found a solution! I doubt Vegas would open copy protected files anyway.

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

Oliver, the ability to read AC3 audio from a DVD was added in Vegas 6.0c. With Vegas 5.0 you'll need some other method.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #20
Old Boot

Quote:
p.s. Graham, I have no idea what your talking about....

Maybe Graham knows something we don't about the "copy protect signal"?
OK . . .

#1 - I was referring to the Analogue signal coming from an Analogue device. Reading in my XM2 manual it refers to the Copy Protect signal from an analogue signal which will inhibit "copying". As to me knowing something "we dont", I have NO idea what you mean?

#2 - Also, and with reference to my XM2 Manual, it suggests not to leave a cassette IN the camera.

I'm real glad you have a solution.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #21
Major Player

Though it probably doesn't matter for this thread - commercial DVD's generally have a macrovision flag set which triggers analogue copy protection on the output. You should get playback fine but if you record the signal (VCR, DVD recorder, DV deck) you should still get a picture but it will be unstable.
Some DVD players are sold now with macrovision disabled, there are also video 'enhancers' - inline hardware to filter out macrovision from the video signal. The legality of the use of these may vary...

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks to everyone that posted, you all gave me good ideas that ultimately helped me figure out a solution that worked for my project.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...