Capturing from my TV using the XL1s and Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing from my TV using the XL1s and Vegas

I know I can use my XL1s to preview a project I am working on in Vegas (5.0) on a TV via firewire and the a/v outs, BUT how do I capture a DVD playing from my TV into Vegas?

Thanks!

p.s. I tried going to FILE then CAPTURE VIDEO but all it does is look at the tape inside the camera.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

DVD -> tape -> Vegas
Vince Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Curtis
DVD -> tape -> Vegas
Not sure what you mean by "tape". Do you mean I have to record the clip I want from my TV to a MiniDV tape then capture it like normal?
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

You could go to tape as an intermediate or you could turn off device control and just use the camera as a convertor.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
just use the camera as a convertor.
Thats what I would like to do. How would I go about doing this?

When I look through my eye piece on the xl1 it says "a/v in" so I guess I have it hooked up correctly. I just need to know the steps to capture what my TV is playing using my xl1 as a convertor and Vegas.

Last edited by Oliver Darden; February 13th, 2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #6
Major Player

64 people looked at this post and know one knows?!?! =)

Oh well thanks for trying, if I figure it out I will post how I did it.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #7

Patience, Oliver.....:-)

Connect your television to the analog inputs of the XL
Connect your XL to the Firewire card on your computer
Put your XL in VTR mode.
Enable the capture utility on the computer/Vegas.

Done.

Many, many people use their camcorder as pass-thru/converter devices, it's very easy, I'm thinking that maybe folks are under the impression you wanted to do something more complicated. That's what I was thinking.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

One more thing to make sure that I mentioned in the previous post: turn OFF device control in the capture program. Otherwise it will try to capture from a tape instead of the pass-thru.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #9
Old Boot

Oliver, I have XM2s. The lowlier XL Canon. When I first started out, I HAVE done exactly this. Use the Camera as a Pass Thru' device.

If I had seen this thread, I wouldn't wanted to reply as I don't have the more PRO XL series - yeah? Meaning, maybe the PRo-er version wouldn't allow for pass thru'? I could quite easily confused the thread here.

Now we HAVE got this far, I can also say that when I did do this, I needed to set the XM2 to ALLOW for Pass Thru.

There are some caveats to this process. Least of which is the copy protect signal that can stop the signal in its tracks. Neither can I have a tape in the camera.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
One more thing to make sure that I mentioned in the previous post: turn OFF device control in the capture program. Otherwise it will try to capture from a tape instead of the pass-thru.
This is the only thing that I cant seem to find, I did a google search and it seems you have to goto: Options / Preferences / General and remove the checkbox from "Enable DV device control", BUT that box is nowhere to be found for me to uncheck.

I am using Vegas 5.0.

Thanks a lot for the info Douglas & Edward, I feel like I am getting closer. =)

p.s. Graham, I have no idea what your talking about....
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #11
Major Player

whoops (I'm dumb), the box to uncheck has to be done in the window that comes up when you click capture video. So you: click capture video / options / preferences / its the 1st box.

But I still don't get a picture, it stopped looking for a tape after I turned the DV Device Control off and the screen went from blue to black but I'm not getting a preview / input to capture anything.

Maybe Graham knows something we don't about the "copy protect signal"? BUT like I said on my 1st post I CAN use the XL1s to preview on an external monitor when I am working on a project in Vegas so shouldn't it work the other way?

Thanks Guys.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Why would you not put the DVD into your computer and rip the contents to an .avi file? that'd avoid unnecessary digital->analog (composite or svideo)->digital conversion.

Just a thought.
Kyle
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ringin
Why would you not put the DVD into your computer and rip the contents to an .avi file?
Great idea but, unfortunately, Oliver's only running Vegas 5 and that feature didn't get added until 6.0c :-(
You could use the various ripping tools available but I prefer doing it the easy way myself :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Tourist

That's what I want to do also, but what format

Quote:
Why would you not put the DVD into your computer and rip the contents to an .avi file? that'd avoid unnecessary digital->analog (composite or svideo)->digital conversion.

Just a thought.
Kyle
I have some footage on DVD that I'd like to edit with Vegas Movie Studio 7 and I've tried this approach. I've ripping the DVD to several formats and they each seem to work. Which format is better for this application - MPEG2, DivX or AVI? Or another?
David Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:

Just a thought.
Kyle
Aren't there anti piracy features in a dvd to prevent this?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...