Digital pass-through- Vegas capture stops at 7 seconds?!?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Trustee

Digital pass-through- Vegas capture stops at 7 seconds?!?!

I am trying to capture some VCR tapes to my Vegas 6 capture. My mini DV has digital analog passthrough. The problem I am having is that is stops capturing - every time at 7 seconds. My drive is clean and defragged - so that doesn't seem to be the problem. The 7 seconds looks fine that is captured, but for some reason it won't capture more then that - any ideas? Last time I had to capture through MS moviemaker with XP BUT I want to go through Vegas is possible. Any ideas? There is nothing in preferences that says stop at scenes etc.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Jubal 28

Are they commercial tapes? Movies?

If so, you may be running into copy protection.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Nope, a friend of mine owns a record label and he has a load of old VCR tapes of his bands music videos he wants digitized. Again, it works in MS moviemaker capture, but not in Vegas...weird.
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Jubal 28

Do you have another camera to pass it through? It could be the camera as well.

Not sure, but worth a try.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't. I have just finished using Moviemaker because Vegas 6 won't cooperate. Sucks, but at least I have the option. I just wonder what is wrong? I don't think it is the camera because it wouldn't work with MSMovieMaker if it was...
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
I don't. I have just finished using Moviemaker because Vegas 6 won't cooperate. Sucks, but at least I have the option. I just wonder what is wrong? I don't think it is the camera because it wouldn't work with MSMovieMaker if it was...
David, it's just a wild guess here, but Vegas may be looking for timecode which won't be present on an analog pass-through like you're doing. Windows Movie Maker, being a consumer oriented product, likely doesn't care about t/c.

Check to see if Vegas capture has a setting for 'uncontrolled device' or similar that will tell it you have a device without deck control and no timecode.

Just a thought,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Did you turn off device control?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #8

If Device Control is off, is it possible you've got a dropped frame at that point, and Capture is stopping on a dropped frame? You have Preferences to determine whether capture should or should not stop on dropped frames.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #9
Old Boot

In the Video Capture program Preferences "CAPTURE" tab, I have "Minimum Clip Length (seconds)" set to "1".
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #10
New Boot

Hi
This might be a stupied question, But is your version a copy? (No Need to answer).....Because if it is then I suggest you either move up to vegas 7 or down to vegas 5 as I know theirs a problem with some of the vegas version 6 cracks........Not all but some...as my friend had the same problem and it was his version of vegas.....

So Try to upgrade, that may help....
Gary Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...