leveling out sound - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Jon, How do you use it? Do you render an audio file into a particular format eg., .wav and then bring into SoundForge? If you use .wav, is there a best setting?
Hi Jeff,

I just apply WaveHammer as a plug-in on the Master in Vegas. Previously, I mixed softer and applied more compression. Lately I've been mixing a bit hotter and compressing less, just using the "Master for 16-bit" preset.

Just last night I finished Webisode 5, which includes 40 seconds of "Waltz in a Shooting Gallery", as well as my latest techniques.

http://colonelcrush.com/movie/index/00030501#3

The real trick is EQ'ing your tracks in a way that lets the dialog be clear, while still being able to mix up the foley, sfx and music.

I run two EQ profiles in additional busses. One is for dialog, the other for music. I route the foley/sfx though the one that makes more sense for the given scene/cue. If someone is talking, the foley/sfx is routed as music. If there's no dialog, the foley/sfx gets the dialog EQ, so it doesn't step on the music.

Dialog:
* SMALL bump around 250 Hz (add warmth)
* Smooth dip around 600 Hz (room for music)
* Smooth dip around 2400 Hz (room for music)
* Smooth bump from 5000 to 15000 Hz (add air)

Music
* Medium Bump around 80 Hz (add impact)
* Smooth dip at 300 Hz (voice fundamentals)
* Smooth dip at 1200 Hz (consonants)
* Smooth bump from 2400 Hz to 15 kHz (add air)

It's amazing how much louder you can run everything and still have it intelligible with the above settings. The voices are crisp, and the music, though a bit hollow, can be a bit louder, yet still stay out of the way.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Bill I installed Sound Forge and am playing with Wave Hammer...it is a great program...thanks
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hey Jon,
We must have been posting at identical times...thanks...is there a separate download for WaveHammer only so that it can be applied to Vegas? I;m really enjoying playing with it in SoundForge...it has huge possibilities, I can see.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Jon I just found the Wave Hammer plug in...excellent. I'm dealing with 50 pieces of audio spread over 5 timelines...any reason not to to render into a single .wav file and use compression to smooth out?
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #20
Inner Circle

WaveHammer works either way. I just put it into the master, but you can render and apply it offline, if you prefer.

I guess the advantage would be that you can render an uncompressed master, then hammer it with different settings for your studio, a DVD, broadcast, the web, etc...

Just make sure that your output never clips. WaveHammer plugged into the master is a nice lazy-man's solution, since it automatically limits - you don't have to sweat the possibility of clipping on that one peak.

Given that we release a video a week, we like lazy-man solutions. Time is precious!
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I see...didn't realize WH could be plugged into the master...I like your way of doing it, but am also going have fun playing with Sound Forge...thanks..
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...